PVP's

sadiecat

I have booked three cruises with Carnival all through reps that answer the phone. I have never once been directed to a PVP. How do I go about getting one? Do you just request one? It seems like the first line of contact people are not well informed perhaps from a lack of training. They are friendly and courteous they just don't seem to know the correct answers always.

What I did was wrote an e-mail through the "Contact Us" link. I ask for a PVP that had experience and had been with Carnival for quite a while. The following day I received an e-mail from one that introduced himself and explained that he had been with Carnival for ten years. He gave me his extension number and ask to have me call him. We talked for quite a while and I got to know him before I ever booked a cruise. Since then, we've used him for four cruises.

The thing I like about using him is that we usually cruise with my brother and SIL. I can call and book a cruise and tell him that they are cruising with us. He finds two cabins side by side, then holds one for them. I call her and then all she has to do is call him and give they credit card number and it's all set.

We had a wonderful PVP who called to check with us pre- and post-cruise. He was fantastic to work with. Then, one day out of the blue, he wasn't there any more. I can only hope he retired?

The replacement woman we got is hopeless. She calls endlessly when we have no vacation plans, when we did book she did NOT call pre- or post-cruise to check if she could help/how did it go, etc. I now HATE seeing "CARNIVAL" on the telephone handset.

When it was the former guy calling, I knew I was in for a treat. With her, it's just pushiness and no help.

We had a wonderful PVP who called to check with us pre- and post-cruise. He was fantastic to work with. Then, one day out of the blue, he wasn't there any more. I can only hope he retired?

The replacement woman we got is hopeless. She calls endlessly when we have no vacation plans, when we did book she did NOT call pre- or post-cruise to check if she could help/how did it go, etc. I now HATE seeing "CARNIVAL" on the telephone handset.

When it was the former guy calling, I knew I was in for a treat. With her, it's just pushiness and no help.

OP, you can call or email for one as suggested by another. Out of Iowa, you can call and ask for a new one. I would not put up with that. I have a great PVP who knows my limitations with regard to travel. I can only cruise once a year at best, and sometimes only every second or third year, so she just emails regularly, and if I call her she will get back to me very quickly. So I would either have a "long talk" with your current pvp and lay out your ground rules, or contact Carnival for a new PVP. Hope it works out.

Edited by SMSACE6

We have had several PVPs. Two along the way got a promotion and the others, I have no idea. We would just get a phone call or email stating they were now our PVP. I think they all have to be "trained" to learn your preferences. My biggest pet peave is the phone calls that follow logging into their website. I made an arrangement with my PVP that I didn't want to be called unless it was to offer a once-in-a-lifetime type deal and that I would always call her when I was ready to book. It has worked out great. I don't waste her time and she doesn't annoy me.

How do I go about getting one? Do you just request one?

Yes, you can call and ask for one.

Let her know what your preferences are and that should stop her from calling you so much. Or you can simply switch to a new one and let them know from the beginning that you don't want to be called so much. Then your relationship wouldn't be strained.

We have had several PVPs. Two along the way got a promotion and the others, I have no idea. We would just get a phone call or email stating they were now our PVP. I think they all have to be "trained" to learn your preferences. My biggest pet peave is the phone calls that follow logging into their website. I made an arrangement with my PVP that I didn't want to be called unless it was to offer a once-in-a-lifetime type deal and that I would always call her when I was ready to book. It has worked out great. I don't waste her time and she doesn't annoy me.

Same here!

Since we can't recommend PVP, may I suggest you ask friends or even others on a cruise. Social media groups, if allowed are also a source.

PVP are like any other profession, there are some good ones and some not so good ones. Likewise there are some that fit your travel personality and others that don't.

My PVP doesn't look for price drops, some do. Mine doesn't call often as she knows my preference is email. She emails if there is a very unique sailing ( Panama Canal) and usually contacts us before and after cruise to make sure everything is good.

I always stress the importance of a PVP. Yes, many of my cruises could have easily been booked online. But some of those family cruises, needing a handicap stateroom next to certain other needed cabins or wanting balcony dividers that open, need a third party involved. I don't think it is fair to only book the complicated sailing through a PVP. I think it is better to build that relationship.

Yes, you can call and ask for one.

The other day I attempted to call my PVP that I booked my last six cruises (next cruise April 2017) with and found out she left Carnival or got promoted. The person that I was connected to told me she was not a PVP and I can't get a new one until I book my next cruise. I find that hard to believe and will be making another call this weekend.

Since we can't recommend PVP, may I suggest you ask friends or even others on a cruise. Social media groups, if allowed are also a source.

PVP are like any other profession, there are some good ones and some not so good ones. Likewise there are some that fit your travel personality and others that don't.

My PVP doesn't look for price drops, some do. Mine doesn't call often as she knows my preference is email. She emails if there is a very unique sailing ( Panama Canal) and usually contacts us before and after cruise to make sure everything is good.

I always stress the importance of a PVP. Yes, many of my cruises could have easily been booked online. But some of those family cruises, needing a handicap stateroom next to certain other needed cabins or wanting balcony dividers that open, need a third party involved. I don't think it is fair to only book the complicated sailing through a PVP. I think it is better to build that relationship.

Agreed. Our long time pvp disappeared suddenly. Asked a friend for recommendation and so far happy with new one with first cruise booked.

I have booked three cruises with Carnival all through reps that answer the phone. I have never once been directed to a PVP. How do I go about getting one? Do you just request one? It seems like the first line of contact people are not well informed perhaps from a lack of training. They are friendly and courteous they just don't seem to know the correct answers always.

Don't bother because they will become a real pain in the A??.

My PVP has never contacted me at all. Not to book, not to see how anything went, not to update me with any new sailings. I stopped using her because there was no difference between using her and booking online. Sounds like I just need to find a new one.

Same with us....have had several....all pretty worthless. Once you know the 'ropes' to cruising, you don't need a PVP at all...they can't offer you anything that anyone else can't get on their own! Some may send a plate of choco covered strawberries to your cabin, or a rare bottle of cheap wine, but most don't do anything beyond taking your booking, which you can do on your own in less time. You can pick your cabin, any cabin, by just calling in an finding out availability...don't need a PVP at all anymore these days. Prices are 'set' they can't do anything to give you a 'break' etc. They are well past their usefulness in today's market IMHO.

Edited by buddylover

I have a great PVP. She doesn't call and bug me and I log on all the time. She's also the PVP for my kids and friends and is even a friend on facebook. She's there when I need her and not a hassle to me when I don't need her. For those that aren't happy with your PVP, just get a new one.

I had 2 great PVP's that left the company. THEN some guy sent me an email and said he was my new PVP. I used him a couple of times and FIRED him. (He was a crappy PVP) I then asked on this board about who was good and I got 2 leads. (found out you're not supposed to do that) Anyway I got a great guy and have booked with him numerous times since. You could take your chances and ask here and get a few leads before they pull the post.

You have to control the communication and than works well

exactly! you lay out the ground rules, and if they don't abide then you get a new pvp.

My pvp since 2009, knows that I cruise only once a year at best, and sometimes only every second or third year. She knows I hate unsolicited phone calls and does not do that. Emails when she thinks I might be interested in something.

She knows me and my likes, dislikes, and limitations and does not push things.

She is also readily available when I want to talk to her. Give or take her day off! Sweet lady deserves more than one day off, and I know she often takes calls very late into the night.

I use to have an awesome PVP he did all my price drops for me without me watching the site or anything. Decorated our room for anniversary once, my birthday once and sent a spa or drink certificates. He never called unless he had an amazing offer and never called just because I logged in etc.

Used him for a few years but then we didn't cruise for a long stretch and now the new one that called I can't even understand so didn't bother calling back, he called multiple times a day and left the same exact recorded voicemail on my cell phone for a few weeks then stopped, then started again for another week or two, that continued off and on for about 1.5 months until I finally booked my cruise myself online. Now I go online all I want and no one calls me since I already have a couple of cruises booked.

What's is the benefit of a PvP.

I have one and have not used him. He emails often with the normal "sale" that's not actually a sale.

I use a TA that gives great OBC, and has counter parts that are there to help when she can't. They sit on the phone with me and answer all my questions when needed, quick email response. After I booked my next cruise coming up, I happened to get an email from my PvP the next day with the normal spiel, let him know I am booked and asked if he had any insight on FTTF for this particular sailing and haven't heard back since.

I think they aren't there to take care of us, but only profit if we use them for booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's is the benefit of a PvP.

I have one and have not used him. He emails often with the normal "sale" that's not actually a sale.

I use a TA that gives great OBC, and has counter parts that are there to help when she can't. They sit on the phone with me and answer all my questions when needed, quick email response. After I booked my next cruise coming up, I happened to get an email from my PvP the next day with the normal spiel, let him know I am booked and asked if he had any insight on FTTF for this particular sailing and haven't heard back since.

I think they aren't there to take care of us, but only profit if we use them for booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PVPs only get paid if you book with them so I can't blame them for not wanting to help when someone else is making the commission.

My PVP is invaluable to me. There have been quite a few times when I needed things taken care of like linking multiple cabins, issues with Carnival changing my cabin on me, getting me FTTF when it was available and I didn't have access to a computer right then and there, price drops, and just other things that I needed straightened out.

It is so much nicer to talk to one person who knows what he's doing. Believe me, I've booked every way possible - online, calling the 800 number, TA, and PVP. It is MUCH easier to call my PVP and be done with it. He has been there forever and is extremely knowledgeable and gets things done. I can call him days, nights, weekends (even have his cell phone and he is available any time I need him - even 10:00 PM on New Year's Eve :D). CSRs are a crap shoot as to if they know what they are talking about or not. Been there, done that, not gonna do it again.

I have recommended him to MANY people including friends and family and they all say how much easier it is and what great customer service he gives. I'm sure there are some that aren't anything special, so I can see where that may turn people off to one. But if you have a great one like I do, you will never want to go back to booking any other way.

I'm also interested in finding a PVP. I generally like to do things my way on my time. For my honeymoon cruise I reluctantly decided to use a (recommended) TA. It was my first cruise, I knew nothing about cruising and I was up to my neck in wedding plans. Well that plan backfired! The entire experience was one headache after another. She was useless. No need to bother you with the details. I think I will totally benefit from a dependable PVP. I can do all the leg work and use the PVP to answer my questions and give advice. I like the idea of getting to know someone and having them get to know my cruising needs/desires.

I got a few recommended names from a cruise group on another social media site.