Some thoughts on Escape Haven and kids

chloemonkey

We did a B2B on the Escape which lasted 14 days and had a wonderful time. I was however NOT doing my homework when I booked this trip as I forgot that it would still be vacation time for many children.

This first week was horrible as we had truly ill mannered children in the Haven and they thought nothing of throwing balls across the courtyard, into people and the glass windows......ran full speed across the floor area and would then dive sideways into the pool......and at NOT point could anyone determine WHO the parents were.....

One day the butler found me on my way down from the upper sun deck to apologize as the pool would be "out of service" for the rest of the day....seems one of the little "darlings" had vomited in the pool! Hence a poor crew member was in the Haven pool scrubbing and scrubbing and then it had to refill......suffice it to say that NO one could enjoy the pool that day.

The second week was a "bit" better as although there were even MORE children on this portion of our trip (as per the concierge desk there was a very LARGE family traveling together) they did seem to be a bit more behaved. One group in particular made me even go over to compliment them as I told them that they were the best behaved group of younger people that I had seen in 14 days!

I know.....this topic has been beaten to death....but it truly hit home this time as we spent a lot of money and were usually not even able to acquire a lounge on the pool area of the Haven due to the large number of children present. And although some may say that they also paid for their trip - I think that the "3rd and 4th person sail free" offer may have had something to do with it.

And I DID complain....only ONCE as I was truly afraid that the little monster (about 10 years old....old enough to know better!) was going to hurt or kill himself! The concierge desk said that they would "speak" to the kids.....and my problem with complaining is that we have to complain to the same people that have to intervene...which then makes them at a higher risk to NOT get a tip from the family of those ill-behaved kids. Seems there should be a better system.

I wont even go into the screaming and running through the halls at 2:00 till 3:00 am......or the yelling from the balconies to see who could be the "loudest"......trust me....I have LOTS of grandchildren and have taken them on cruises in the Haven too! But the difference is that we made certain that they were behaved and respectful at all times.

They really need to figure out how to handle this issue as there were so many disappointed adults in the Haven on both legs of this trip due to the wild behavior of the kids......maybe ONE attendant that monitors the area that does NOT also have to "make nice" to the parents in order to get their well deserved gratuities?

Otherwise....trip was great and cannot wait for the next one!

Why would someone traveling w/o kids go on vacation during summer break?

Kids can be awful, but your issue is like going to Disneyworld at Christmas and being surprised by all the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by txagfan

Why would someone traveling w/o kids go on vacation during summer break?

Kids can be awful, but your issue is like going to Disneyworld at Christmas and being surprised by all the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they are teachers and have the same break? No matter how many kids are there, that level of bad behavior should not be expected or tolerated, especially at those prices.

This first week was horrible as we had truly ill mannered children in the Haven and they thought nothing of throwing balls across the courtyard, into people and the glass windows......ran full speed across the floor area and would then dive sideways into the pool......and at NOT point could anyone determine WHO the parents were.....

Unfortunately, the people who "raised" the unruly children are the same people who will dump those children in the Haven and spend the entire day in VIBE.

The behavior that you described isn't limited to children and teens nor is it limited to the Haven. Many adults, no matter the age, (in other parts of the ship) can behave in the same way or worse.

I've suggested that during the first introduction in the Haven, the concierge should explain (while both parents and children are present) that the Haven "has quiet places to dine, drink and relax, and an expertly trained staff to attend to your every need." and "It’s a sanctuary of private comfort with a pool, sundeck, hot tub, and more" - NCL's words.

One group in particular made me even go over to compliment them as I told them that they were the best behaved group of younger people that I had seen in 14 days!

As a parent of young children in the Haven, I can tell you that having strangers compliment us and our children because of their excellent behavior is very much appreciated. :)

And although some may say that they also paid for their trip - I think that the "3rd and 4th person sail free" offer may have had something to do with it.

How much or little someone pays is irrelevant when it comes to their behavior or the behavior of their children.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I had a similar experience in April on the Escape and I would literally "escape" to the upper outside sun deck for peace and quiet. That lasted about two days when the little darlings discovered the hot tub on deck 19! Mayhem ensued.

I spoke to Sean (HD) about making that upper sun deck adults only as every cruise I've been on in the Haven the kids take over the pool area and it can get really bad. He said he would look into it. I think it would be a good solution.

Tracy

I am a person with kids, who has to travel during school vacations. Lots of us have this issue and pay a premium to travel during popular weeks because most schools frown on your kids missing school to go on a cruise.

Although I expect a lot of kids and crowded vacation venues, that does not excuse unruly behavior by kids or adults - especially in an area like Haven, which markets itself as a peaceful retreat. These stories definitely have me thinking twice about spending the extra money to be in that area. Letting your kids run wild while ignoring the havoc they are causing is bad parenting, period - regardless of it's during the summer or a quiet week in January.

This is so disappointing. I have traveled multiple times in the Haven on Breakaway with my now 5 yo son. We have always been one of the only families with children utilizing the pool/hot tubs. We booked Escape for next July 8 to try a different itinerary; I am thinking of switching back to Breakaway now. While my som has himself a great time in the Haven, he is well-mannered and behaved and we have always been complimented by other cruisers on this fact. Unruly children overtaking Haven pool would put a damper on things for us. Anyone else on the 7/8/17 cruise in Haven??

Kids can be unruly anywhere, but if you want a almost unruly kid free vacation, then you need to move to a luxury line, since there are fewer children on those cruises. But be warned, the worst experience I've ever had on a cruise ship with regard to children was on Crystal.

If children are behaving badly, then go to guest services and let them know about the offending behavior.

Did anyone actually try to tell those children to stop doing what they were doing or did they just suffer in silence and then come here to complain?

The Haven is marketed to families. All families. Quiet families. Loud families. Unruly families. Perfectly behaved families. Period.

If you don't want to deal with children, go on a cruise line that caters to adults or cruise during times when children are much less likely to be present.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lot of complaining. Don't expect kids to sit in a lounger and read a book. I expect them to play and enjoy their vacation. What is described as unruly behavior sounds more like play that could and should be expected. If I pay for a havens room for my kids, they have equal access to the facilities.

Edited by BirdTravels

Sounds like a lot of complaining. Don't expect kids to sit in a lounger and read a book. I expect them to play and enjoy their vacation. What is described as unruly behavior sounds more like play that could and should be expected. If I pay for a havens room for my kids, they have equal access to the facilities.

Throwing balls into people and glass windows should be expected?

Throwing balls into people and glass windows should be expected?
There is a simple solution for anyone who throws a ball at a person. If I was the person who had the ball thrown at them, I would simply catch it, walk over to the bar, grab a knife and pop it. End of the problem, as there would no not be a ball to throw at people. Edited by NLH Arizona

I may be missing out, but because of numerous stories like this one, I will not book a Haven under the current set up.

Do kids have the right to be kids? Yes.

Do they have a right to be undeniably disruptive? No.

If I paid $3,000+ per person to be in the area NCL calls tranquil or whatever word they used in their marketing, I have the right to expect that standard which was set by the company.

Maybe, if they don't already, they should have a rule in place that says there can't be any unsupervised children under the age of 16 in the Haven.

This is so disappointing. I have traveled multiple times in the Haven on Breakaway with my now 5 yo son. We have always been one of the only families with children utilizing the pool/hot tubs. We booked Escape for next July 8 to try a different itinerary; I am thinking of switching back to Breakaway now. While my som has himself a great time in the Haven, he is well-mannered and behaved and we have always been complimented by other cruisers on this fact. Unruly children overtaking Haven pool would put a damper on things for us. Anyone else on the 7/8/17 cruise in Haven??

And that's the thing. I truly don't think most cruisers on whichever line have an issue with well-behaved kids of any age sharing facilities that, yes, their parents have paid for and that they are entitled to. But I firmly believe parents know how their kids are and that in some cases, they intentionally say BYE and go to Vibe to get away from their own mini terrorists leaving everyone else, including your 5 year old, to deal with their unruly Lord of the Flies mentality.

It's not right but there is little anyone can do about it other than to not book the Haven, shoot for a Vibe pass and go join the fleeing parents of these rug rats there.

We are booked in the Haven next year with our 20 and 21 year old sons. It sounds like the issues are parents not being responsible for their kids and guests who are being bothered by the kids not taking action on the ship. If kids were as unruly as some say, take phone out video and go show someone in charge. Don't whine afterwards. If no satisfaction keep moving up the chain of command.

The attitude that the new promo with free guests invites more families into the Haven is almost offensive. Families can vacation anywhere as long as they can afford it and they manage their kids. Instead of yelling at kid or acting like kid cutting a ball, why not try and talk to parents. If kids there unsupervised go talk to staff then.

It is discouraging to those of us who have never sailed NCL to see the polls about kids in Haven, don't cruise during the summer on the Haven as so many kids, the attitude that riffraff in Haven with the new promo, etc. Some people can only vacation during the summer with kids in school and jobs. The promo allows some of us riffraff in that normally couldn't afford the Haven. We are looking forward to our trip, have gotten great advice from many kind people here. We are going in mid-May so hopefully not many kids. If we do encounter an out of control kids I'll say something discreetly there.

What this topic highlights is for NCL to offer an upscale all adult area. In the interim they should create all adult regions and timezones and enforce the policy vigilantly.

NCL cannot limit families traveling with kids and teens from booking the Haven, it shrinks their target market too small.

My pet peeve is hot tubs. Posted signs say no children yet parents ignore. Thankfully there is Spice and I can avoid the pool area.

Did anyone actually try to tell those children to stop doing what they were doing or did they just suffer in silence and then come here to complain?

The Haven is marketed to families. All families. Quiet families. Loud families. Unruly families. Perfectly behaved families. Period.

If you don't want to deal with children, go on a cruise line that caters to adults or cruise during times when children are much less likely to be present.

I think these days it is real risky to try and teach someone else's kids to do this or not do that.. I was on one cruise where there was a family with 3 unruly kids. This older couple had, had enough, and while waiting to go into a cocktail with officers the guy blew his top at them making the automatic door open and shut 100 times. The kid's parents looked at though they were mortified they were spoken to that way. They looked to all of us standing in line as if someone would stick up for them, and we all looked away

Edited by Kosi

They really need to figure out how to handle this issue as there were so many disappointed adults in the Haven on both legs of this trip due to the wild behavior of the kids......maybe ONE attendant that monitors the area that does NOT also have to "make nice" to the parents in order to get their well deserved gratuities?

Otherwise....trip was great and cannot wait for the next one!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope the sad part won't happen again for your next.

I think these days it is real risky to try and teach someone else's kids to do this or not do that.. I was on one cruise where there was a family with 3 unruly kids. This older couple had, had enough, and while waiting to go into a cocktail with officers the guy blew his top at them making the automatic door open and shut 100 times. The kid's parents looked at though they were mortified they were spoken to that way. They looked to all of us standing in line as if someone would stick up for them, and we all looked away

I'm not really saying to teach someone else's kid to not do something. I'm just simply saying to ask the child not to throw a ball at you or not to throw it at the window. Most kids when confronted about their bad behavior will stop.

I was not suggesting that someone go postal on kids. I would not appreciate that either but I certainly don't mind someone asking my child to stop a behavior that is disruptive.

This older couple had, had enough, and while waiting to go into a cocktail with officers the guy blew his top at them making the automatic door open and shut 100 times. The kid's parents looked at though they were mortified they were spoken to that way. They looked to all of us standing in line as if someone would stick up for them, and we all looked away

You should have done this....

giphy.gif

....because the older gentleman deserved a "thank you".