Restaurants Near Placa Catalunya

OBX-Cruisers

This will be our first trip where we will be staying in Barcelona and be there for 4 nights pre-cruise in October

We will be staying right off the Placa Catalunya (side opposite of many who stay in Hotel Jazz). Suggestions for good restaurants for Lunch would be appreciated since I read that Lunch is often the main meal of the day and Dinner doesn't start until 9'ish which is typically too late for me to want to eat before bedtime. Tapas and a Spanish beer or wine in the PM would likely be a much better lighter meal I would think since you can control the incoming selections.

Thanks to all of you who have done this many times and have your favorites to share from those experiences.

Dinner doesn't start until 9'ish which is typically too late for me to want to eat before bedtime.

You will find many restaurants open long before 9 p.m. to cater for tourists who prefer to eat earlier than the Spanish traditionally do.

Edited by campolady

You will find many restaurants open long before 9 p.m. to cater for tourists who prefer to eat earlier than the Spanish traditionally do.

Thanks for that information. Anyone else with specific suggestions for restaurants etc. in this area that they have positive experience with from recent travels would also be appreciated.

Hi,

We have been in Barcelona for a few days over the past two years and the outstanding meal we had was in Restaurant Agut.

http://www.restaurantagut.com/en

It is situated in the Gothic quarter, near to the Cathedral, and I would say it is a gentle 10/15 minute walk through an historic area from your hotel. We had Sunday lunch there and it was packed, so advance booking is recommended. You can book online.

A bit further away, you might need to get a bus there, is La Mar Salada restaurant in Barceloneta near to the beach. We had a highly enjoyable meal there, if not quite hitting the heights of Restaurant Agut.

http://www.lamarsalada.cat/index.php?md=portada&accio=mostra&id=0&lg=eng

The other places where we enjoyed eating are not within walking distance of your hotel. The one disappointing meal we had was in Can Culleretes, a famous restaurant which is reputed to be Barcelona's oldest, and is nearest to your hotel in Carrer d’en Quintana just off La Rambla. It was a lovely and atmospheric building, it was packed with locals who all seemed regulars and were having a good time, and yet we found the food to be very ordinary. It shows how subjective such things are.

Dermot

A half block off Placa Cataluyna is the Comtempo.

We ate there in July . We were staying at the Hotel Pultizer across the street. We walked by the menu posted in front of the restaurant each day.

One night, at 7:30pm when it opened ,we ate dinner there without a reservation.

It wa excellant food. It has a set menu of starter, entree, and desserts. three or four options in each category.

I had soup starter, and monkfish for entree. It was divine. I never had monk fish before. Great desserts. I had a ice cream with sauce , decadent . I also could not believe I got a great Spanish wine for 3.5 E a glass.

Sevice was excellent and atmosphere was elegant. The was only two other diners there at that early hour of 7:30 pm.

it is attached to a hotel but anyone can eat there. if I remember right my bill was under was 30E for everything including wine and cofffee.

http://www.restaurante-contempo.com/galeria.php

do check Eng on the front page for a translation.

Edited by Azulann