Anyone have tried Osteria Barberini in Spanish Steps before?

suginana503

Hi does anyone have tried This restaurant in Spanish Steps before? Is it good? Do they serve fast? Because they open at 12:30pm and i would like to have a quick lunch there for like 30min then need to take taxi and rush to St Peter Basilica and enter it no later than 1:30pm. Thx!

Hi does anyone have tried This restaurant in Spanish Steps before? Is it good? Do they serve fast? Because they open at 12:30pm and i would like to have a quick lunch there for like 30min then need to take taxi and rush to St Peter Basilica and enter it no later than 1:30pm. Thx!

I would never enter a restaurant in Italy hoping to be served and complete a meal in 30 minutes. On Via Del Corso you should be able to find a quick take-out place and eat while you walk. ~~Judy

I think the message is that you cannot expect to have a quick 30 minute meal in ANY sit-down restaurant in Rome. An absolute minimum of an hour or more would be what to expect. Better to grab a slice of pizza or a panini. I always find it worthwhile to take a break in the middle of the day and enjoy a nice relaxing lunch.

If you only have 30 minutes then I would make other plans. Your time is better spent at St. Peters. It can take 10 mins to pay your bill.

Assume you have arranged entry to the vatican museum already. This is the most efficient way to see the Sistine chapel and the Basilica.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Thx helpthejuggler and Carolyn so much for your kind advice. Appreciated it. My ship will docks on Wednesday and i want to visit both sistine chapel and St Peter Basilica, and i will purchase the tour ticket in advance in order to skip the line. Since St Peter is closed in the morning then i can only visit Sistine around 1 and basilica after when it opens. (Ship docks 7-7pm) I want to try their truffle pasta but too bad they open at 12:30. Perhaps i need to make other plans. Thx so much.

So this is a port day, not a pre/post cruise visit....

The difficulty in Rome is choosing what to skip, as you cannot do it all.

We were in Rome a couple of weeks ago. The Spanish steps are being refurbished at the moment and Barberini while nearby and has a metro stop it is not worth the time. Don't skip the Trevi fountain which had been renovated and looks wonderful.

There are some take away pasta places that we saw. Maybe one of those could work. The Lost food place near the Pantheon is perfect for a quick snack, or try the Antica Deli on the Pantheon square.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Just so you are aware, Osteria Barberini is not at the Spanish Steps: It is in the Via Veneto area. It could take 10 minutes to walk to it - if you are at the bottom of the Steps, it is all uphill. As someone else said, the area around Piazza Barberini is not that great; I stay uphill of it at an employer's hotel - I leave that area in the morning and don't come back 'til evening. Other than the Cappucin Museum (and a Hard Rock Cafe :roll eyes: ) nothing to see/do.

If your BF really wants pasta for lunch, you may better served by targeting your time in the Vatican City area for it. More tourist-oriented places that may serve pasta fast-food style. Usually, sit-down lunches are, like others have said, at least an hour. Italians do not eat and run; they take their time.

Now, if you could convince your BF to do pizza instead of pasta... those familiar with me see this coming...Pizzarium. It is maybe a 10 minute walk from the entrance of the Vatican Museums. Search the 'net for articles and reviews of it. Best "fast food" on the planet (IMHO). Always at least 10 different topped pizza al taglio for you to choose from - you order by weight, so you can get multiple pieces of different pizza. Their suppli are pretty darn good, too.

Maybe discussion regarding this Osteria should cease as the OP has 30 minutes to eat. Im mystified as to why anybody is trying to think of recommendations. He wants pasta - ok - not really sucha problem in Rome - is it? And he wants it quick. Again not such an issue - there are plenty of places in Rome that have been created perfectly for those traipsing around on a very tight schedule.

Maybe discussion regarding this Osteria should cease as the OP has 30 minutes to eat. Im mystified as to why anybody is trying to think of recommendations. He wants pasta - ok - not really sucha problem in Rome - is it? And he wants it quick. Again not such an issue - there are plenty of places in Rome that have been created perfectly for those traipsing around on a very tight schedule.

Would you name some of these places for the OP?

For the OP: I did a quick search on Yelp for "fast food and takeaway" in Rome. the #1 spot is a place called Pastasciutta. It is right outside Vatican City apparently, at Via della Grazie 5. I have not been there, but I just wanted to do a quick search for you to get you started.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks so much for all of your advice!!

May i ask if it is easy to catch a taxi on the uphill on Spanish Steps? i know there is a train station stop of Barberini, but i think i need to take taxi instead as we are kind of rush... thanks.

There is a taxi rank at the top of the Steps - across from the Hassler Hotel. There is not a train station stop at Barberini - it is the Metro. The train station would be Termini or Ottaviano/San Pietro - either will be 2 stops away in opposite directions if you get on the Metro at the Spagna station, Termini one stop closer if you get on at Barberini.

Why knock yourself out at lunchtime and create unnecessary stress. Catch an early train like around 8.00 am from Civitivecchia using a BIRG ticket which will give you unlimited travel on trains and metro for the day. The BIRG will cost you 12 euros (5 zones). An 8.00 am train will get you into Rome around 9.30. You can then use the metro to get yourself around. There are hundreds of eateries all around the "Touristy Rome". Many are pop in pop out grab a bit of food and eat on the run. Rather than catch a taxi from the Spanish Step catch the Metro to Cipro or Ottaviano,you will get there probably quicker than a taxi and will be free on your BIRG ticket.