Cheers in Europe & VAT

gailjen

I wanted to find out if there might be other things taxed that hadn't occurred to me. I didn't think about the iMax. That's good to know.

Well given the way that every single med cruise seems to have changed implications for cheers availability and taxes applied, I wouldn't necessarily take my experience as a certainty that it will be the same on your cruise.

It's a bit like taxation roulette. :p

Fingers Crossed Harry.

In the meantime, my Vodafone bill has come in. I left the UK with unlimited calls and texts roaming for U.K. Numbers. I had 20GB of roaming data..... they've shafted me (though I should get that refunded). They have charged me for my calls.... to Carnival when I was in Barcelona. Even though it's a freephone number, they are saying 0800 numbers were not part of the package.

Why do companies insist on trying it on with me. They know they're going to lose! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They may be right about the toll free numbers. I have unlimited calling to the USA and Canada from Mexico where I live. This is on both my home and cell phones, but whenever I call an out of country toll free it tells me the call is not free and will be charged. Strange I know.

They may be right about the toll free numbers. I have unlimited calling to the USA and Canada from Mexico where I live. This is on both my home and cell phones, but whenever I call an out of country toll free it tells me the call is not free and will be charged. Strange I know.

I wouldn't expect to be able to call a free phone number in another country, but the tarrif I have, effectively replicates what I have when roaming. Given that, I wouldn't expect to be charged when there is never any charges to anyone when at home. The issue is the fact I'm roaming. I can call anyone in the uk to a landline or mobile (which are chargeable calls) for free. So to charge under those circumstances is a bit much especially as I'd clarified what I had before I left.

Edited by les37b

No - every soda requested is zero charge listed on my account. 10% tax paid at point of purchase and no extras charged

It seems the issue appears to be for people who pre purchased. I tried to pre purchase but they stopped allowing this after 1 August. I can confirm other posts that have stated no issues encountered with bringing alcohol onboard. As you can imagine I'm now pleased I didn't buy a cheers package. I think the likes of Celebrity and NCL offering free packages with do very well with UK cruisers now. The poor exchange rate for UK cruisers coupled with Spanish taxes make for an expensive holiday.

I purchased a bubbles package on board on 6th August sailing and had VAT charged on each drink purchased.

In addition VAT was charged on our free drinks gold card, this was reimbursed by Carnival once I was home.

This is the reply Carnival sent to me to explain why we paid VAT. Which is a load of nonsense and is completely wrong. There were 3000 + passengers on our ship all of whom paid VAT at the wrong price. In the EU VAT is charged at the point of sale, I.e when the drinks package is bought in my case on the ship. In the case of those who pre-purchased VAT is not applicable as the drinks package was purchased in the U.S. I did ask Carnival to provide the relevant Eu legislation but they declined to do that.

We truly regret learning of your continued disappointment as providing our guests with a great cruise experience is our top priority. Any time one of our guests returns home with less than pleasant memories, it's of great concern to us, and we apologize that your impression from this Carnival cruise was so unfavorable.

We want you to know that we did not take your feedback lightly. On the contrary, we take guests’ concerns very seriously. This is why we’ve shared your comments with the relevant department managers for a thorough investigation regarding your claims.

Let me try to clarify my previous response regarding the VAT charges. Since your cruise departed from Spain and also visited Greece, the VAT charges were different than some of the other European Cruises. Additionally, the subsequent cruises that departed from Spain had a VAT that was applicable, however since these cruises did not visit Greece the specifics regarding the application of the VAT were different. Therefore, you cannot compare the subsequent cruises to your cruise. I hope this information is helpful.

With regards to VAT charges being refunded on your cruise, regrettably this is not something we could offer since these taxes are collected and provided to the government entities involved. However, with that in mind, there were several guests that were not happy with the taxes and asked to modify there gratuities accordingly. It is possible that this is where the confusion has originated.

Once again, we are very sorry things didn’t work out as you would have liked and can only hope in time you forgive us for any misunderstanding.

I purchased a bubbles package on board on 6th August sailing and had VAT charged on each drink purchased.

In addition VAT was charged on our free drinks gold card, this was reimbursed by Carnival once I was home.

This is the reply Carnival sent to me to explain why we paid VAT. Which is a load of nonsense and is completely wrong. There were 3000 + passengers on our ship all of whom paid VAT at the wrong price. In the EU VAT is charged at the point of sale, I.e when the drinks package is bought in my case on the ship. In the case of those who pre-purchased VAT is not applicable as the drinks package was purchased in the U.S. I did ask Carnival to provide the relevant Eu legislation but they declined to do that.

We truly regret learning of your continued disappointment as providing our guests with a great cruise experience is our top priority. Any time one of our guests returns home with less than pleasant memories, it's of great concern to us, and we apologize that your impression from this Carnival cruise was so unfavorable.

We want you to know that we did not take your feedback lightly. On the contrary, we take guests’ concerns very seriously. This is why we’ve shared your comments with the relevant department managers for a thorough investigation regarding your claims.

Let me try to clarify my previous response regarding the VAT charges. Since your cruise departed from Spain and also visited Greece, the VAT charges were different than some of the other European Cruises. Additionally, the subsequent cruises that departed from Spain had a VAT that was applicable, however since these cruises did not visit Greece the specifics regarding the application of the VAT were different. Therefore, you cannot compare the subsequent cruises to your cruise. I hope this information is helpful.

With regards to VAT charges being refunded on your cruise, regrettably this is not something we could offer since these taxes are collected and provided to the government entities involved. However, with that in mind, there were several guests that were not happy with the taxes and asked to modify there gratuities accordingly. It is possible that this is where the confusion has originated.

Once again, we are very sorry things didn’t work out as you would have liked and can only hope in time you forgive us for any misunderstanding.

I guess this is a job for watchdog to shame carnival into refunding the money they have taken fraudulently.

It's irrelevant if they've already banked the money with the Spanish authorities. It should not have been charged. Your understanding on this tax only being applicable at the point of sale is of course 100% accurate. I notice they dont touch upon this and instead just talk about why different rates are charged which is once again irrelevant.

It will be interesting to hear what they tell harry with his complaint since his was that they were charging him 21% tax on the drinks he bought on board instead of 10% which is the correct rate for food and drink purchased from bars and restaurants on his cruise. If they say they cant refund it because they've given it to the Spanish authorities, then frankly Carnival can rightly be accused of not just committing fraud, but also theft.

Anyone messed about with these overcharges, should also get in touch with their credit card companies to get them to do a charge back.

The last sentence is interesting. Its almost like they are saying they know they've got it wrong and want you to forgive their misunderstanding. I expect your answer would be the same as mine would be.

Edited by les37b

Carnival knew were the ship was going to sail before it was launched, so how come their finance people didn't work out the vat ?? stupid, childish and un-forgiveable school boy error at its finest !!! then putting letters in cabins to brush it under the carpet, and charging directly to our credit cards......

carnival "fun" ships..............:confused:

Carnival has a right to pass along any taxes. They don't control the taxes.

You can contest charges with your bank, but not refuse to pay. The bank will investigate and if they decide in Carnival's favor, you still owe, and I would think with interest.

If they charged what various governments told them to charge, there is no fraud or liability on Carnival's part.

If tax should be charged at point of sale and we bought a 5 bottle wine package in Spanish waters and charged 2.75 for the first opening why did this go up to 7.95 to open the wine in Greek waters as I had bought the "package" in Spanish waters! :(

If tax should be charged at point of sale and we bought a 5 bottle wine package in Spanish waters and charged 2.75 for the first opening why did this go up to 7.95 to open the wine in Greek waters as I had bought the "package" in Spanish waters! :(

Sounds like destination based tax vs origin based tax. "Shipping" vs "Billing". I doubt the charge was for "opening" or corkage fee and was on the sale price of the wine.

Sounds like destination based tax vs origin based tax. "Shipping" vs "Billing". I doubt the charge was for "opening" or corkage fee and was on the sale price of the wine.

Yes but the wine was purchased in spanish waters NOT Greek - it was opened by them in greek waters but sold in spanish - so shouldn't if any only the 10% charge applied not 24%????:confused:

Yes but the wine was purchased in spanish waters NOT Greek - it was opened by them in greek waters but sold in spanish - so shouldn't if any only the 10% charge applied not 24%????:confused:

If you had taken possession of all the bottles prior to Greek waters, then I would think only 10% (only?). I don't think it matters where the bottles were opened but where they were actually delivered to you. That's where the paper trail ends. At least that seems to be why you were charged the 24%.

Carnival has a right to pass along any taxes. They don't control the taxes.

You can contest charges with your bank, but not refuse to pay. The bank will investigate and if they decide in Carnival's favor, you still owe, and I would think with interest.

If they charged what various governments told them to charge, there is no fraud or liability on Carnival's part.

I think Carnival is shooting themselves in the foot over this VAT tax. Those of us who have been in the service industry know that most establishments make their money off liquor sales. This tax is going to cause people to cut way back on the amount of money spent onboard the ship. Carnival would be better off absorbing a portion of the tax as that would cost them less than the thousands and thousands of dollars they are going to lose because of lack of sales.

Pat

If I purchase and consume something in France, I pay VAT.

If I purchase in France, take with me to the US and consume, I still pay VAT.

If I order something from France to be delivered to the US, I don't pay VAT.

If I order something from France and have delivered to Greece, how much VAT is paid? Whatever the Greek VAT is.

What Carnival Vista cruisers need to know for the remaining Med cruises:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3809/~/value-added-tax-(vat)

Additionally I have a question... why do you figure the packages on the October cruises are not being offered and instead subject to the per drink VAT? Trying to understand why packages cannot still be purchased like the 9/23 and charged VAT on the package price only. This should not be so confusing! :confused:

Additionally I have a question... why do you figure the packages on the October cruises are not being offered and instead subject to the per drink VAT? Trying to understand why packages cannot still be purchased like the 9/23 and charged VAT on the package price only. This should not be so confusing! :confused:

Oh my days. I hadnt even read that far.

I see they are also back to charging VAT per drink on people who've purchased cheers on the 21 October

It's quite amusing that this link has been posted as some sort of explanation when all its done is prove beyond doubt that Carnival do not understand VAT and guests on board are being fleeced by them.

Oh my days. I hadnt even read that far.

I see they are also back to charging VAT per drink on people who've purchased cheers on the 21 October

It's quite amusing that this link has been posted as some sort of explanation when all its done is prove beyond doubt that Carnival do not understand VAT and guests on board are being fleeced by them.

I'm boarding this upcoming Friday so am interested to see what happens between now and then... policy seems to change daily on this. I have no idea what to expect! (Nervous laughter)

I just couldn't help but point out it does not make sense for each cruise to be treated so differently!

I figure because each EU member has some say in how/when things are taxed. The Sept 23 cruise doesn't have a port in Greece.

When subjected to the higher Greek tax, the drink packages value is likely not worth it for most cruisers.

Instead, you might consider purchasing liquor in port and carry on the ship, supplementing with an occasional drink purchased at a bar. ;)

I think Carnival had better get it's crap together before Horizon does any European itineraries. As someone who was lucky enough to have Turkey included and avoid the VAT I would not be happy to be on one of the cruises with issues. If you try to charge me a tax on my "free" VIFP drink I will send it back. Not cool.