Ship time versus island time

amydresh

If I leave out of NOLA and visit Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, what time is the ship compared to those places? I have excursions planned outside of Carnival and I am worrying that we won't know what time we are actually meeting. My cruise is Jan 15. Does the ship leaving out of NOLA use CST zone or EST as the ships time?

in reality it doesn't matter how whip time compares to the time at the ports you will be visiting. set your watch to ship time and you will be safe. never ask a local what time it is.

i'm fairly sure anything coming out of nola is on central time considering central time starts 3 states to the east in florida.

i'm fairly sure anything coming out of nola is on central time considering central time starts 3 states to the east in florida.

N.O is central time but the panhandle of Fl is also central time. Not 3 states over.

OP: Most of the islands do not partake in daylight savings time. So it depends on when you sail.

Almost all Carnival ship time in the Caribbean stay on there home port time.

Correct! The part of the Florida panhandle south of Alabama is central time, the rest is eastern. We have two time zones here. ;)

We are on the Dream out of NOLA in December and when I booked our Grand Cayman and Jamaica excursions the company let me know what the time difference would be. Basically they told us to be at our meeting spot one hour after the ship docks.

Tallahassee starts eastern for Florida. Anything before Tally is Central on over to SOME parts of Texas, if not all. I always go into airplane mode and manually set to ship time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sheeniwoo

OP, generally tour operators are aware of the difference in times and they compensate for it so you don't have to. I've also found the few I've dealt with to be very helpful and responsive to email inquiries so be sure to ask them anything you are concerned about. You will almost always be just fine as long as to keep track of ship's time.

N.O is central time but the panhandle of Fl is also central time. Not 3 states over.

OP: Most of the islands do not partake in daylight savings time. So it depends on when you sail.

Almost all Carnival ship time in the Caribbean stay on there home port time.

my geography book says new orleans is in louisiana. central time starts in florida. alabama and mississippi are in between. using my fingers, that's 3 states over. :rolleyes:

I use this site to check times in the ports:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Choose the date and time, then choose your home port. Select the port you will be in and then do the conversion.

This was very helpful, thank you!

I actually talked to Carnival about what time it would be on the islands versus the ship and no one seemed to know. I also asked when I booked my excursions and they didn't seem to know either. They all said the ship was probably on EST time even though it was from a CST port.

my geography book says new orleans is in louisiana. central time starts in florida. alabama and mississippi are in between. using my fingers, that's 3 states over. :rolleyes:

So sorry boss I mis read your post the first time

This was very helpful, thank you!

I actually talked to Carnival about what time it would be on the islands versus the ship and no one seemed to know. I also asked when I booked my excursions and they didn't seem to know either. They all said the ship was probably on EST time even though it was from a CST port.

When I cruised out of NOLA we were on CST.

Never had a problem....excursion companies base their itineraries based on when the ship docks. They normally meet an hour after docking and tell you how long the excursion will run. No need to worry about time. If you meet one hour after docking and it runs 6 hours you can easily figure out what time you will be back.