Just off Liberty...

Great review!! Extremely thorough ;)

I have been on 2 cruises (2004 and 2009) and only with the wife and it was pretty fun, mostly because it was just her and I (alone time). I'm one of those less time on the boat wish I was at the port more types anyway, but a cruise always comes up for family vacation every year.

Your review sort of pushes me away from wanting to take the family. We just did Ireland for 16 days this summer and it was AWESOME!! Cost about 20K for 6 of us and did Italy the year before that for 15 days for 19k.

A 7 day cruise out of Galveston adjoining rooms, balcony, 6 people (14,15,17,19, 41,42), (on Liberty) is looking like at least $12k plus excursions for only 3 days at a port maybe I haven't googled enough IDK?

I think I'd rather just fly somewhere and spend a week especially when you talk about the crowds, pools full, and the most memorable times being the excursions.

The family traveling with us wanted to get off the boat ASAP. So instead of disembarking with our assigned Group C, they went with the first group A which met at 7:15am I believe. She texted me at 8:45am to let me know they were at their car. So if you get in the first self-assist group, it is possible to be off by 9, but it may be tight!!

As far as breakfast and lunch, we enjoyed MDR for breakfast nearly every day. It seemed the first couple of sea days it would be better to go early to MDR (before 8). Windjammer was not as crowded before 8 either, but again, I felt the food in MDR was much better! Your teens may not care :)

We did WJ for late lunch most days (after 1) and it wasn't too crazy. I did eat a foccacia sandwich at Sorrento's one day which was pretty good. I tried their pizza which was OK, kids thought it was decent. The Promenade isn't so busy during the day the first couple sea days (it's crazy on the last one since the stores are all having sales).

I think they key is to go early for breakfast and late for lunch. If your teens sleep in, they can go to WJ until 11 for breakfast. I think MDR closes breakfast at 10, but they stop seating before that.

Thanks for your prompt response. We will go ahead and fix our cab for 9am pickup at Galveston port on disembarkation day.

How about ordering breakfast via room service?

One more question, I like mixed cocktails (pina coloda, lava flow, laboodzie & wine). Do you recommend me to go for premium package...(20% off if we book now). or can I get 10 drink punch card on the day of embarkation by way of approaching bar manager...

Also please recommend any other good mixed cocktails available at LOS.. Thanks

I have been on 2 cruises (2004 and 2009) and only with the wife and it was pretty fun, mostly because it was just her and I (alone time). I'm one of those less time on the boat wish I was at the port more types anyway, but a cruise always comes up for family vacation every year.

Your review sort of pushes me away from wanting to take the family. We just did Ireland for 16 days this summer and it was AWESOME!! Cost about 20K for 6 of us and did Italy the year before that for 15 days for 19k.

A 7 day cruise out of Galveston adjoining rooms, balcony, 6 people (14,15,17,19, 41,42), (on Liberty) is looking like at least $12k plus excursions for only 3 days at a port maybe I haven't googled enough IDK?

I think I'd rather just fly somewhere and spend a week especially when you talk about the crowds, pools full, and the most memorable times being the excursions.

I've only been on one cruise before this one - Carnival back in 2001 with only my husband and another couple. We went in October so there were hardly any kids on the ship.

The crowds would be the big reason I might not cruise in the summer again. We really did have a great time and the kids definitely did not want to leave, but it was a relief to get to port and get away from everyone!!! We'd been to Cozumel already but it was nice to see Roatan and Costa Maya.

Cruising is nice to "sample" places you don't want to commit to, while other places it's nice to stay and immerse yourself.

GirlGoneTexan, we are cruising next July and plan to do Self Disembarking, as we need to return our car back to IAH for a 2:15 PM flight. Should we get in the first group. We also need to call our Hotel Shuttle to take us back to the hotel for our car or should we park at one of the lots across the street or terminal parking lot.

Thanks for your prompt response. We will go ahead and fix our cab for 9am pickup at Galveston port on disembarkation day.

How about ordering breakfast via room service?

One more question, I like mixed cocktails (pina coloda, lava flow, laboodzie & wine). Do you recommend me to go for premium package...(20% off if we book now). or can I get 10 drink punch card on the day of embarkation by way of approaching bar manager...

Also please recommend any other good mixed cocktails available at LOS.. Thanks

We did breakfast via room service one day. We left the hanger out for delivery between 7:30-8 and they called at 7:25 to notify us they were on their way. Breakfast menu is limited but if you're just wanting fruit, coffee, and pastries, it's easy! They do have hot items like eggs, but I wasn't going to risk it after seeing the WJ eggs. MDR has made to order eggs that are much much better.

I did the Premium package because I wanted the wine & cocktails. I did not see the punch cards offered until maybe day 4 or 5? I found it easy to drink my money's worth on sea days. Port days I probably just broke even. Most of the decent wines are around $12, so with the 20% off, I could have a couple glasses of wine at dinner, port with dessert, and a few cocktails in the afternoon...unlimited water bottles and soda too, which I am not a big soda drinker but it was nice to have some with lunch. I was constantly getting water bottles to stock our room.

They offer interesting drinks of the day - they're fun to try. In general, I felt the bartenders were often very generous with their liquor pours.

GirlGoneTexan, we are cruising next July and plan to do Self Disembarking, as we need to return our car back to IAH for a 2:15 PM flight. Should we get in the first group. We also need to call our Hotel Shuttle to take us back to the hotel for our car or should we park at one of the lots across the street or terminal parking lot.

I would try to get off as early as you can. IAH is quite the haul from Galveston.

It may be safer to park vs. waiting on a hotel shuttle. We parked at Galveston Cruise N Park which you can just walk across the street instead of waiting for shuttles to take you to the terminal lots. They offer discount with online pre-book.

We did breakfast via room service one day. We left the hanger out for delivery between 7:30-8 and they called at 7:25 to notify us they were on their way. Breakfast menu is limited but if you're just wanting fruit, coffee, and pastries, it's easy! They do have hot items like eggs, but I wasn't going to risk it after seeing the WJ eggs. MDR has made to order eggs that are much much better.

I did the Premium package because I wanted the wine & cocktails. I did not see the punch cards offered until maybe day 4 or 5? I found it easy to drink my money's worth on sea days. Port days I probably just broke even. Most of the decent wines are around $12, so with the 20% off, I could have a couple glasses of wine at dinner, port with dessert, and a few cocktails in the afternoon...unlimited water bottles and soda too, which I am not a big soda drinker but it was nice to have some with lunch. I was constantly getting water bottles to stock our room.

They offer interesting drinks of the day - they're fun to try. In general, I felt the bartenders were often very generous with their liquor pours.

Thanks for your feedback! our return flight from George Bush airport is at 3:30pm, is it possible for us to go to Space Center at 9:00am, go around Space Center till 12:30pm and then proceed to George Bush airport.. do you think we can make it...

Also we spoke to one cab driver, he agreed to pick us up from Galveston port at 8:30am, wait for 3 to 3.5 hours at Space Center (our luggage left in his car) and then drop us to George Bush airport for US$200/-, is it worth & can they be trusted for leaving our luggage in the cab.. he will be giving his business card of cab company to us...

Edited by aravi64

Thanks for your feedback! our return flight from George Bush airport is at 3:30pm, is it possible for us to go to Space Center at 9:00am, go around Space Center till 12:30pm and then proceed to George Bush airport.. do you think we can make it...

Also we spoke to one cab driver, he agreed to pick us up from Galveston port at 8:30am, wait for 3 to 3.5 hours at Space Center (our luggage left in his car) and then drop us to George Bush airport for US$200/-, is it worth & can they be trusted for leaving our luggage in the cab.. he will be giving his business card of cab company to us...

It would likely be cheaper to rent a car for the day.

Space Center to GB Airport is probably an hour without traffic. So it's possible, but definitely tight! You have to drive through (or around) downtown, and traffic

Not sure what other options you have... rent a car... you could use Uber from Space Center to IAH, not sure how much that would cost, but you'd have to cab it to SC since Uber cannot pick up at port.

WhiIe going someplace and staying there for a week is a great vacation, a cruise is also a great value! We just did Liberty two weeks ago with 12 people. Everyone had a great time! Everyone did their own thing, met for dinnerr, and were off again. We didn't experience any large crowds except when leaving the Platinum theatre. Sure some places you had to wait in a line of 3 or 4 people , but it was not bad at all. If you don't let the small nits bother you, you'll have a great time!

The downside is that with around 8 hours in a port there's not much time to see a whole lot. Sometimes 8 hours is all you need and sometimes you could use several days. A cruise is a good way to sample ports and then decide where you would like to come back and spend more time.

Trying to decide whether to get surf and stream or just surf. DH does Facebook quite a bit and watches videos on posts. We would also like to FaceTime if possible and was told I needed streaming for that. Do you think I would be fine with just surf? I would appreciate your opinion and thanks in advance. We cruise on Liberty in three weeks.

Barbara

Space Center to GB Airport is probably an hour without traffic. So it's possible, but definitely tight! You have to drive through (or around) downtown, and traffic

Not sure what other options you have... rent a car... you could use Uber from Space Center to IAH, not sure how much that would cost, but you'd have to cab it to SC since Uber cannot pick up at port.

Thanks GirlGoneTexan for all your wonderful feedback. we do not want to miss the chance while we are in Houston to visit Space Center. We are coming from Toronto, Canada. So we thought of spending atleast few hours at Space Center, since our flight is at 3:30 pm.. once again thanks... you are awesome...

GirlgoneTexan, thank you, I did check with Galveston Park n cruise and they wanted with tax for covered, $92.

The advantage of the Park N Cruise is the location, and the fact that it's a well maintained lot. We like to get on and off early so it saves us time with no shuttles and money with no taxis. If you don't mind a wait there are lots of other good options for a lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WhiIe going someplace and staying there for a week is a great vacation, a cruise is also a great value! We just did Liberty two weeks ago with 12 people. Everyone had a great time! Everyone did their own thing, met for dinnerr, and were off again. We didn't experience any large crowds except when leaving the Platinum theatre. Sure some places you had to wait in a line of 3 or 4 people , but it was not bad at all. If you don't let the small nits bother you, you'll have a great time!

The downside is that with around 8 hours in a port there's not much time to see a whole lot. Sometimes 8 hours is all you need and sometimes you could use several days. A cruise is a good way to sample ports and then decide where you would like to come back and spend more time.

We've done several vacations with my family -- my mom, two sisters and husbands, nieces and nephews...a total of eleven people. The first three trips we took were cruises, and this year we went to an all-inclusive. My husband and I HATED it...I've never been as happy to get on a plane as I was at the end of that vacation!

In our opinion, there's a lot more to do on a ship if you're not a bake in the sun person. We think cruise ship food is better, and even though we had an upgraded "Preferred" package with a private lounge and top shelf liquor (allegedly) at the resort, we still had to pay for wine every night because the only thing included was the house wine and it was not good.

Things like chair hogs and rude people are just as prevalent at an all inclusive as they are on a ship, and we didn't find the staff as friendly or the service as good as we've had on our cruises. The entertainment was virtually non-existent too. For my money and tastes, a cruise is a much better vacation.

Edited by Cindy

Do you recall what the onboard package price for the Premium was? Our group bought the online discount price but some of them have $150 OBC and depending on onboard price for package it may come out cheaper to get a refund and purchase it onboard. TIA

We are on Liberty Oct 23 and anticipate no real number of kids-we taught and for years could only cruise in summer, so it is nice and quiet now. Bubba we have seen on another cruise out of Galveston and really like him-but we like that kind of music. One of the annoying trends on RCL is the shrinking amount of music worth dancing to and enjoying. Princess is doing better so far, but looking at the crowds that karaoke and such draw, if I was a number cruncher in Miami I would probably push the same shift. Too many pay restaurants taking up space and staff to offer a variety of venues now. The dress code comments here show another trend-even Celebrity has surrendered and now have some chic codes instead of formal nights. If you cannot abide by the published dress codes go to windjammer!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. Can you tell me what time the evening shows begin? I may need to adjust our dining time.

I hope we can get in the early group for walk off. Although on our last cruise, our disembarkation information we provided was apparently completely ignored. We said we wanted to walk off early. They gave us a very late departing group number - complete opposite. Do they even read what we tell them? If not, why do we bother!

Love your comments! I agree - some of the adults are as bad, if not worse, than the kids! And don't get me started on elevator etiquette.....geez. And as another poster said, a ship full of undisciplined kids is why we don't cruise in the summer.

Thanks again - we sail October 9.

Premium package - I paid $388.22 USD which included tax & gratuity for 7 night cruise. It was the pre-cruise special.

Evening shows...

day 1 comedy - 10pm

Ice shows - 2pm and 4pm on days 2 & 7

Day 3 In the Air 6:30pm and 8:30pm

Day 5 70's Street Party in Promenade 10-11pm

Day 5 Ventriloquist 6:30/8:30pm

Day 7 Saturday Night Fever 6:30/9pm

Not sure I got everything, but those are the main ones, I think. Hope that helps. Have a great time!!