Veendam

kacurl

Hi all did Veendam to Bermuda 2011 was great same 2012 but ship and staff Really worn down.thinking of may2017 Bermuda again as is only ship to dock in Hamilton and leave from Boston, Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance cathy

Hi all did Veendam to Bermuda 2011 was great same 2012 but ship and staff Really worn down.thinking of may2017 Bermuda again as is only ship to dock in Hamilton and leave from Boston, Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance cathy

VEDM was in dry-dock in Freeport this Spring from 18 March through 08 April 2016. We sailed her for the 4th of July week from Montreal to Boston. She's looking fine

VEDM was in dry-dock in Freeport this Spring from 18 March through 08 April 2016. We sailed her for the 4th of July week from Montreal to Boston. She's looking fine

Hello Copper10-8

Do you know who is responsible for the selection of the deck for the gangway portal?

Thanks

Hello Copper10-8

Do you know who is responsible for the selection of the deck for the gangway portal?

Thanks

If you are asking as to which deck the gangway goes upon arrival in port, that would be the ship's staff captain (with the captain's final approval, of course) and heavily depending on the tidal situation.

In "routine" ports that are called on on a regular basis, that (deck) usually doesn't change much. Where it gets interesting is on 'grand voyages' incl. the grand world, which go to most definitely 'non-routine' ports. For those instances, a very thick binder is kept on the bridge full of data, photos of prior visits, diagrams, etc. that is always consulted. Lastly, the pilot for that particular port, can also offer advice. On HAL, there is always a so-called "BRM" (Bridge Resources Management) meeting the day prior on the bridge in which the specs/details/intel. on the following day's port call is discussed with everyone involved in that process

You're probably querious why I ask on this thread. We did the VoV all 35 days last year on the Veendam. You might have been in on this same cruise.

In any event, for the first 4 or 5 docking ports, the gangway was from deck 5, I believe.

This made for a very steep angle to negotiate. I assumed that this was required to accommodate the tide. As it turned out, the tides were very minimal, and the steep gangway remained throughout our first few docks. This caused some short tempers, both passengers and crew, until someone got the word, and eventually the gang was placed at deck 2 or 3. If I had had any idea who to speak to, l certainly would have. Thanks.

You're probably querious why I ask on this thread. We did the VoV all 35 days last year on the Veendam. You might have been in on this same cruise.

In any event, for the first 4 or 5 docking ports, the gangway was from deck 5, I believe.

This made for a very steep angle to negotiate. I assumed that this was required to accommodate the tide. As it turned out, the tides were very minimal, and the steep gangway remained throughout our first few docks. This caused some short tempers, both passengers and crew, until someone got the word, and eventually the gang was placed at deck 2 or 3. If I had had any idea who to speak to, l certainly would have. Thanks.

No prob! Last VoV I did was in July 2012 on Maasdam, eastbound. Deck 5 is mostly used (along with Deck 6) when a port has an airport-style "jet-way" a la Boston, FLL, San Diego, Seattle, etc. Deck 3/"B"-Deck, a crew deck, is also used (there is no gangway break on Deck 4/"A"-Deck on the "S" class ships) for passengers and becomes a "crew only" gangway in those same places that use the airport-like jet-way.

However, I do remember on that 2012 VoV us having to use a very long shore-side gangway to Deck 5 in Reykjavik, Iceland because of the low tide. Doing that does increase the angle of that gangway.

We are booked for May 2017.. looking forward to docking in Hamilton... first time with Holland...but have been to Bermuda many times....

Concerning the Retreat on Veendam.

Is this "adult" area open for all for no extra charge?

Is it usually crowded' date=' hard to get loungers?[/quote']

The "Retreat" on the Veendam is merely the aft area of the Lido Deck. There are tables and chairs, along with a center raised (very high) area. That raised area holds 4 hot tubs, while blocking the view of those sitting at the tables.

Yes, it is an area free to all.