Gluten Free on the Getaway?

alliemariek

Thanks for the tip on the gluten free beer! There is only so much Titos and red wine he can drink (I am laughing) but I should probably ask about GF alcohol, too. Our nutrionist told us all distiller alcohol is Gluten free but I am NOT SURE that I agree.

Actually, it never crossed my mind that they would have GF BAKED GOODS available so this has been extremely informative.

You will be able to look and the next day's menu and choose what you would like. If you feel like crab cakes or breaded fish or whatever, ask them , often they will accommodate. Oh Disney we were treated like royalty and they made whatever we wanted and neither my daughter or myself got so much as a tummy ache,

Royal Caribbean was terrible, but I have read so many great things about NCL on my celiac Facebook page.

I'm sorry, but when I call different cruise lines prior to booking and am told that they will have gf bread, gf pancakes, dedicated fries, gf burger buns, gf pizza, wraps, gf desserts and then I book and pay the same fee as everyone else only to get onboard and find out that I can have scrambled eggs, plain chicken and lettuce with no dressing for seven days is irritating. Yes, I was very hungry and very let down. The ship needs to plan for how many people will want gluten free So hearing that someone will ask for gf items but not notify the ship ahead of time because they will want to eat gluten sometimes is very disrespectful to the people who need to eat gluten free for medical reasons.

IMHO you are bashing the wrong people. It sucks not to get the food or drinks you want, has happened to everyone on a cruise some time or the other. But what happened there was just a bad example of trying to operate at the lowest cost for the cruise lines. I am sure with a bit of number crunching on statistical data the cruise lines would be able to have all all necessary stuff for GF food on board at all times for everyone who wants. Its just about the cost as always

• 4 months later...

We are cruising on the Getaway in a week. I have notified the access desk and called to ensure they received my information. I have celiac, and want to avoid gluten and cross contamination as much as possible. I don't want to be sick for days during our vacation. My concern is on excursions that provide lunch. Do any of you have experience on how these lunches are prepared, or what is offered? One of the excursions has quesadillas and fruit, which is fine as long as the tortillas are corn and the cheese isn't processed. I asked for information from the access desk, and they could not confirm how this would be handled.

We are cruising on the Getaway in a week. I have notified the access desk and called to ensure they received my information. I have celiac, and want to avoid gluten and cross contamination as much as possible. I don't want to be sick for days during our vacation. My concern is on excursions that provide lunch. Do any of you have experience on how these lunches are prepared, or what is offered? One of the excursions has quesadillas and fruit, which is fine as long as the tortillas are corn and the cheese isn't processed. I asked for information from the access desk, and they could not confirm how this would be handled.

I wouldn't count on it. NCL excursions are typically outsourced. Dd14 has celiac and eats her fair share of quesadillas, but at home, made with corn tortillas. I doubt food made by an outside company would even avoid cross contamination. We always bring gf bars for dd.

The access desk wouldn't be able to help you on this. As mjkacmom pointed out, they outsource their excursions so they don't control how they're operated. To be safe, you might want to take some prepackaged snacks to get you through excursions until you can eat where you're confident your needs will be met.

My CC made a notation on my reservation abt my dietary restrictions GF/DF for my November Cruise but I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out about the form you're mentioning about filling out.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums