A little advice needed in Kauai !

dcagg03

Hi, we will be on the POA soon and are trying to plan our time in Kauai. The first day, we are doing tubing and it should finish at 3:30. Would that be too late to drive to Waimea Canyon? Or would there be enough time to see the canyon on the second day with the 2 pm departure? We would love to see the canyon, but don't want to be too rushed or stressed to get back.

Luckily, I am not claustrophobic! Tubing was the one excursion my daughter picked for the entire trip. Thank you all for the advice. We will probably get on the road early on day 2 to see the canyon. Originally, I was hoping to get to the canyon with plenty of time to enjoy the sunset. We caught the sunset last year at the Grand Canyon and it was gorgeous.

Tubing can be lots of fun, you'll enjoy yourself, but by the time you finish up, get your stuff together and get going in your car it will probably be after 4PM.

You will be on the other side of Lihue, so while not a big city traffic can be heavy starting around that time. Given that there are only two lane roads on Kauai and that traffic can be heavy I would think it doubtful that you would get up to the canyon for sunset.

• 2 weeks later...
Go the second day. its an easy drive from the harbor as more traffic is heading to lihue in the am. You can watch the time and go as far into the canyon as you feel you have time for . The drive back at 1130 or so will be fine.

Agreed! And if you have time, stopping at the Shrimp Station for the best coconut shrimp ever is a great idea, or even just a Lapperts Ice Cream cone.

We rented a car and went to Waimea Canyon on Day 1, and went tubing on Day 2. We paid for overnight parking at the Anchor Cove Mall at Lihue. (We got our parking pass first thing after renting the car). Waimea Canyon is a long drive from Lihue and the canyon road is a winding narrow ridge road with a lot of traffic. The tubing checkin building is close to the port. We had a 9 am tubing tour (check in 8:30 am), ended at 12 noon, dropped off the rental car at LIHUE airport, and back on the ship in time for lunch.