CC Name change and cruising with toddlers questions

GeorgiaMomof4

I now need to be GeorgiaMomof6!

I'm wondering if any of you have changed your cruise critic name before?

My husband and I just adopted our 2 foster sons - the first is 3 and has been with us since he was 9 months old and the second is 1 and was 2 days old (straight from the hospital) when he came to live with us.

We now have 6 children ranging in ages from 21 down to 1! I know - what were we thinking. We never imagined having 6 children when we got married and started talking about starting a family. God had other plans for us though and has blessed us in ways that I can't even begin to tell you.

I was thinking about changing my screen name but don't want to lose all my posts, reviews, etc. Who would be able to help me with that?

Now - about cruising with toddlers. When we first started cruising our oldest daughters were 9 and 7 so we don't have any experience in cruising with little ones. We have gone out on a limb and booked a cruise for February, 2018 and are bringing our new additions with us. They will be 4 1/2 and 3 at the time.

Any suggestions or helpful hints that any of you have in cruising with little ones this age will be greatly appreciated such as bringing extra clothes, toys, beach stuff for beach days, etc. I'm terrified about packing for them because I always bring too much already and have a feeling this is going to make it even worse.

Also, what have been your experiences in sending little ones to Camp Carnival? Ours do go to daycare so they are used to being around others, but do you feel safe in leaving ones that little in camp? Do you take them with you on port days or leave them in camp depending on where you are?

I have always gained so much valuable information here I'm sure you all will be able to help with this too.

Thanks in advance!

William%20amp%20Justin-adoption%20day_zpsptf5b0ip.jpg

Family-adoption%20day_zpsps3vngpu.jpg

Mazel tov! They are adorable.

My kids don't like camp so I can't be of any help there.

I would try to not over pack (1 outfit per day plus elegant night items). With kids that young I would not dress them up each night for dinner; shorts and t-shirt are fine. We have packed shovels and pails for the beach but that's about it. At their ages they may need a flotation device and if you won't want to bring life jacket type bathing suits then something you can blow up and deflate easily should be OK.

Have fun showing them the world.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

I'm teary-eyed reading your post and seeing your pictures. Such a beautiful family, and you are an absolute hero. Thank you.

On our last cruise, we kept our kids with us. My youngest was under 2. One of the reasons we switched to Carnival is that in October, my youngest turns 2, oldest will be 3 (almost 4). Carnival will put them in the same camp group together (2 - 5) with no extra charges. I'm perfectly comfortable using their onboard camps. The kids love it.

Beyond that, iPads work wonders at the dinner table, keeping the little ones entertained and quiet. Just ask for fruit/cheese/bread or whatever they like to snack on, give them an iPad with games/movies/etc... and off you go.

If you need some free time, I believe Carnival has a nursery at a small extra charge for under 2 years old and probably have in room baby sitting also.

I'm teary-eyed reading your post and seeing your pictures. Such a beautiful family, and you are an absolute hero. Thank you.

On our last cruise, we kept our kids with us. My youngest was under 2. One of the reasons we switched to Carnival is that in October, my youngest turns 2, oldest will be 3 (almost 4). Carnival will put them in the same camp group together (2 - 5) with no extra charges. I'm perfectly comfortable using their onboard camps. The kids love it.

Beyond that, iPads work wonders at the dinner table, keeping the little ones entertained and quiet. Just ask for fruit/cheese/bread or whatever they like to snack on, give them an iPad with games/movies/etc... and off you go.

If you need some free time, I believe Carnival has a nursery at a small extra charge for under 2 years old and probably have in room baby sitting also.

We are definitely not heroes - just doing what the Lord has led us to do.

The funny thing is we normally only foster 1 child at a time because of the size of our family already but when we found out William's bio Mom was expecting again we knew we wanted William's sibling to come be with us so they could be together. Baby Justin was baby #10 for Mom! We really struggled with this decision to adopt because of them being so young (and we aren't anymore) and my husband's health. After having a meltdown on New Year's day while taking our Christmas tree down and trying to decide whether to lay aside their Hallmark ornaments to send with them when they left us to go to their foster to adopt home or put them up with our decorations (because they would be with us again this Christmas) we decided to put it into God's hands and let whatever He wanted to happen, happen. It also helped that our 21 year old who has a heart of gold told us that if something happened to my husband and myself she would step in and raise these 2 boys as her own. Well, you know what God's answer was because they are ours now!

Thanks for the tips - didn't even thing about an ipad at dinner. That is a great idea.. Believe me, as much as we love them, we do need some us time sometimes. I may look into the babysitting. We have others going with us as well so maybe we can get help that way too. We are actually doing an "adults only" cruise this February so we are looking forward to that!

We are definitely not heroes - just doing what the Lord has led us to do.

The funny thing is we normally only foster 1 child at a time because of the size of our family already but when we found out William's bio Mom was expecting again we knew we wanted William's sibling to come be with us so they could be together. Baby Justin was baby #10 for Mom! We really struggled with this decision to adopt because of them being so young (and we aren't anymore) and my husband's health. After having a meltdown on New Year's day while taking our Christmas tree down and trying to decide whether to lay aside their Hallmark ornaments to send with them when they left us to go to their foster to adopt home or put them up with our decorations (because they would be with us again this Christmas) we decided to put it into God's hands and let whatever He wanted to happen, happen. It also helped that our 21 year old who has a heart of gold told us that if something happened to my husband and myself she would step in and raise these 2 boys as her own. Well, you know what God's answer was because they are ours now!

Thanks for the tips - didn't even thing about an ipad at dinner. That is a great idea.. Believe me, as much as we love them, we do need some us time sometimes. I may look into the babysitting. We have others going with us as well so maybe we can get help that way too. We are actually doing an "adults only" cruise this February so we are looking forward to that!

I brought my mother-in-law and father-in-law along and they helped a lot with watching the little ones and giving my wife and I some free time/date nights.

It also helps having a balcony. When the little ones go down at night, you can just grab some drinks and sit on the balcony. I wouldn't get a non-balcony room with kids that age for this reason precisely.

You are a hero in my book :) I guarantee those lucky little boys feel you are, too.

I am a chosen child so you story has special meaning for me.

I cruise with grand children (now 5 and 12) and will share some of my lessons:

NO in room baby sitting.

Yes to camp carnival or camp ocean or whatever they call it now. We have always felt very safe dropping off/picking up. GS can sign himself out but GD still needs pickup. One night her daddy dropped her off and when he went to pick her up he didn't have his S&S card. They made him go get it. She is the spitting image of her daddy and was overjoyed to see him. They stuck to their policy. I for one am glad they did.

Yes to a balcony. Strong as GD is she can't open the door. It make a great place to sit during nap time. (if only she still napped, LOL)

Pack less clothes and throw in a few tide pods. I know laundry is the last thing you want to do on a cruise but it really doesn't take long and with one load you can pack 1/2 the clothes for the little guys.

Take entertainment to the MDR. We save it for after the kids finish their meal. We take them out to eat often so they are understanding of waiting but tend to get restless while we have dessert and coffee.

Cruising with little ones is different but the memories you make are unbelievable.

I am a chosen child so you story has special meaning for me.

I cruise with grand children (now 5 and 12) and will share some of my lessons:

NO in room baby sitting.

Yes to camp carnival or camp ocean or whatever they call it now. We have always felt very safe dropping off/picking up. GS can sign himself out but GD still needs pickup. One night her daddy dropped her off and when he went to pick her up he didn't have his S&S card. They made him go get it. She is the spitting image of her daddy and was overjoyed to see him. They stuck to their policy. I for one am glad they did.

Yes to a balcony. Strong as GD is she can't open the door. It make a great place to sit during nap time. (if only she still napped, LOL)

Pack less clothes and throw in a few tide pods. I know laundry is the last thing you want to do on a cruise but it really doesn't take long and with one load you can pack 1/2 the clothes for the little guys.

Take entertainment to the MDR. We save it for after the kids finish their meal. We take them out to eat often so they are understanding of waiting but tend to get restless while we have dessert and coffee.

Cruising with little ones is different but the memories you make are unbelievable.

Thank you - great tips. I'm not sure a balcony cabin is in our budget though! There will be 7 of us going and we are trying to do the OV cabin which holds 5 to keep from having to do 2 cabins. Our 11 year old is going to stay with his bio Dad in his cabin and our 13 year old is staying in a

cabin with some of our friends - spreading the love - LOL

First of all...congrats on being a mom of 6...those little boys look so precious and your family is just beautiful. you are my hero. it takes all my strength to deal with the one little toddler I have.

What a beautiful thing you are doing by welcoming them, raising them and giving them your name. I am in awe!

BNBR, I'm going to have a 2 1/2 year old when our cruise goes sailin' in January. he hasn't yet spent any time on an iPad or other device, are there any specific things you can recommend for that age group? I will put some movies and shows on that he likes, but really curious about what games he might play. I am clueless!

I'm following the thread because I'm curious myself about advice for cruising with a toddler. It might easier for GAmomof6 since they will be in the same age group, but I have a little clinger on my hands and he hates being handed to strangers. I'm hoping he gets over it by the time January rolls around...and I am working on potty training him to boot!

Edited by pyropoodle

First of all...congrats on being a mom of 6...those little boys look so precious and your family is just beautiful. you are my hero. it takes all my strength to deal with the one little toddler I have.

What a beautiful thing you are doing by welcoming them, raising them and giving them your name. I am in awe!

BNBR, I'm going to have a 2 1/2 year old when our cruise goes sailin' in January. he hasn't yet spent any time on an iPad or other device, are there any specific things you can recommend for that age group? I will put some movies and shows on that he likes, but really curious about what games he might play. I am clueless!

I'm following the thread because I'm curious myself about advice for cruising with a toddler. It might easier for GAmomof6 since they will be in the same age group, but I have a little clinger on my hands and he hates being handed to strangers. I'm hoping he gets over it by the time January rolls around...and I am working on potty training him to boot!

For the iPad, there is an app called "DR Ramasjang" - it's in Danish. But it's easy to navigate if you don't speak Danish. It's for little children. It has TONS of different games, smashing games, etc. etc. etc. I don't know any American equivalents, but the app is absolutely fantastic and free. My 2 year old and 3 1/2 year old love it so much. Also, Lego Duplo has an app that is really great. Other than that, we put a few of their favorite movies on it and seems to do the trick. Even a portable DVD player if you aren't terribly familiar with iPads.

If you can get your 2 1/2 year old to roll with the camp, I'm almost certain they don't HAVE to be potty trained until 3. As in, they should change diapers (not confirmed) without calling you to do it yourself.

2 1/2 years old, they are active, talking, walking, etc. So I would think he would enjoy camp, maybe. I'd give it a shot. It's complimentary and I'm thoroughly convinced it's actually good for them to play with other kids and get used to it. Plus, they will be catered to with age specific activities - so probably more things for little one to do than you could figure out yourself!

My 2 sons have been in daycare since infants. Finally decided for my wife to stay home and so they will be home now. But VPK starts soon. I was actually concerned about keeping them home too much.

[/color]

Does he stay with you all the time? You could look into Mother's morning out programs in your area - some churches have them. Sometimes that can help. It would also give you a much needed break if he stays with you all the time. Just a trip to the grocery store alone help sometimes. Good luck on the potty training.

+

Edited by GeorgiaMomof4

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look those games up. He's been in daycare since he was 3 months old and he's ok staying with them because he knows them. But man, try to leave him in a church nursery (where the volunteers switch every week) or with anyone else and he just melts down! Gahhhh, toddlers amiright? I am all for kids spending time without mommy and daddy always around but I know they would call me after an hour of his...loud singing...er, screaming. Hopefully with a few more months on him, he'll outgrow that a bit.

I have an iPad myself but we haven't let him use it yet and he watches very little tv...but if it helps me get through a plane ride or dinner or a cruise feeling like I have had even a little bit of relaxation, I am willing to try it. Thanks for taking the time to give me app ideas, I do appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look those games up. He's been in daycare since he was 3 months old and he's ok staying with them because he knows them. But man, try to leave him in a church nursery (where the volunteers switch every week) or with anyone else and he just melts down! Gahhhh, toddlers amiright? I am all for kids spending time without mommy and daddy always around but I know they would call me after an hour of his...loud singing...er, screaming. Hopefully with a few more months on him, he'll outgrow that a bit.

I have an iPad myself but we haven't let him use it yet and he watches very little tv...but if it helps me get through a plane ride or dinner or a cruise feeling like I have had even a little bit of relaxation, I am willing to try it. Thanks for taking the time to give me app ideas, I do appreciate it

My youngest is funny like that. If you walk him into a room/facility or anything that he doesn't recognize, he thinks he's at the doctor and freaks out. When we went to a new daycare, he was visibly upset, shaking a little, started crying, but he actually warmed up and started playing within 20 minutes. Hopefully your experience is similar. Even the doctors kind of laugh. We'll be there getting my older son checked up, and the youngest just screams his head off the entire time.

Granted, he's definitely getting WAY better as he's getting older. And being with his brother in the same camp is a massive plus for us (main reason we selected carnival because of the camp age range).

There is a ton of apps on the iPad, and videos are usually the ones that keep them entertained the longest. We can put a movie on and often they'll enjoy the move the entire dinner, just asking for water or more bread/fruit or something here and there. It's fantastic. Plus fun to watch them learn and begin problem solving. Before you know it, at not even 3 years old, my son was closing and opening apps and doing what he wants on the iPad....

Edited by BNBR

Haha, yes! We are personal friends with our son's doctor, and now even if we see him socially my son thinks he's getting a shot- "no medicine!!!"

-and on the potty train thing, I just want him to be able to go into the water areas of the ship and they won't let them go in of they aren't potty trained....and as not to hijack this thread, that last little line was a suggestion for the OP---might want to consider trying to potty train if they aren't ready so they can go in the pool while on the boat :)

Edited by pyropoodle

[/color]

Does he stay with you all the time? You could look into Mother's morning out programs in your area - some churches have them. Sometimes that can help. It would also give you a much needed break if he stays with you all the time. Just a trip to the grocery store alone help sometimes. Good luck on the potty training.

+

Haha- somehow missed this on my phone.. No, he's in daycare. I love him, he's a blessing, but I don't know how stay at home moms do it. He loves his daycare and they love him! I keep telling my husband that we need to make him a little brother or sister so he'll have someone else to terrorize at home

...buuutttt, that will have to be in the Lord's hands too!

Haha, yes! We are personal friends with our son's doctor, and now even if we see him socially my son thinks he's getting a shot- "no medicine!!!"

-and on the potty train thing, I just want him to be able to go into the water areas of the ship and they won't let them go in of they aren't potty trained....and as not to hijack this thread, that last little line was a suggestion for the OP---might want to consider trying to potty train if they aren't ready so they can go in the pool while on the boat :)

Absolutely, under no circumstances, talk about this subject on Cruise Critic. The crazies come out of the deepest, darkest areas of the web and go bonkers about it.

But really, I hope you can make it work out. The kids sure do love water play. Food for thought, Disney has a water play area on their ships for toddlers still in swim diapers.

Edited by BNBR

I have totally noticed that. So I won't be asking about letting my perfect baby roam diaper free in the water or asking opinions about it. Chair hogs and un-potty trained babies--off limits!

AS for games, in the IPad app store, just google Toddler Games, I load several different free ones for my grandson who just turned three on a cruise in March. Then I figure out which ones he likes the best to buy the full version - usually about $2-3. I do find that his two older brothers(12 and 6) will become entranced by the toddler games when he is playing and they all get involved. One of his favorites is a doctor game where he has to take stickers out of someone and put bandaids and casts on cartoon patients called My Hospital.

We have swam with the dolphins in Cozumel and road a bus to and walked on a glacier (when the little was 16 months old). They really like to just tour around the ship and people watch - and eating as much ice cream and pizza as they can knowing it all comes to an end when we get back home.

Great idea about searching for toddler games. I'll experiment and see what he gravitates toward and put those on before the trip. And yes, all the pizza and ice cream he can handle. He's on vacation too, right? I might even let him stay up past his bed time, though I'm sure he'll still wake up at 6:00am on the dot. I haven't needed an alarm clock for 2 years :)

Edited by pyropoodle

My daughter went to camp for the first time a week after she turned 2. She had never been in any type of structured care before that and did fabulous. Sometimes she stays in camp while we are in port, sometimes she goes with us. If we are leaving her, I only book the Carnival excursions and make sure that camp knows which one we are on. It gives a piece of mind that we won't be left and that they could reach us if something major happened.

My DD *loves* to dress up for dinner, so I end up bringing 2 outfits a day plus a couple extras. I also pack single serve packs of laundry detergent and a roll of quarters just in case.

I have a small bucket and shovel that we sometimes bring. Depends on the ports and what we plan on doing.

My 2 year old usually isn't interested in watching anything on the tablet but she does LOVE the toddler puzzle apps, many to choose from just type in baby puzzles and the pbs kids game apps. We have a couple of Daniel tiger games, Toca town is GREAT. And a couple of coloring apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 2 year old usually isn't interested in watching anything on the tablet but she does LOVE the toddler puzzle apps, many to choose from just type in baby puzzles and the pbs kids game apps. We have a couple of Daniel tiger games, Toca town is GREAT. And a couple of coloring apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the tips - I will look into those as well.