Dawn vs Breakaway Bermuda

trish99

We're looking at booking a cruise to Bermuda next June. In checking the prices, currently the Dawn is about $200 pp for a balcony more than the Breakaway. Any thoughts as to why? Same week, same basic category. I would have thought the reverse, since the Breakaway is a newer ship.

We've never been to Bermuda and just starting the research process.

No idea why the price difference, but if you're looking to compare I've been on both. The dawn is a smaller ship and I love love love it! He breakaway is larger and full of people. It's fun but too many people for me. That being said the BA is the better boat for family with kids, a lot more activities for them. Any specific questions il happy to answer.

We've cruised both ships...just got off the Breakaway on Sunday, and did the Dawn two years ago. Both ships are awesome! We found the Dawn a little more relaxing because there's not as much to do on the sportsdeck (ropes, rock wall, etc). But then we equally loved the Breakaway because there WAS so much to do! Just depends on what you're looking for each trip.

It seems that since there's less passengers on the Dawn, the price is higher pp to make it profitable for NCL. There seemed to be more crew members/bartenders around the pool on the Dawn than on the Breakaway and maybe they need to make up for the cost of paying their employees. If you like more activities and more people, do the Breakaway (we didn't find the crowds to be unbearable at all), or if you prefer a quieter cruise, the Dawn is worth it even for 200$ more.

And FWIW, even tho BA is newer than Dawn, we didn't notice a difference in upkeep or maintenance. They're both beautiful....If anything, we commented that the BA looked older than it really is because the lifeboats are so faded! But once onboard, both ships look great. Hope this helps!

No idea why the price difference, but if you're looking to compare I've been on both. The dawn is a smaller ship and I love love love it! He breakaway is larger and full of people. It's fun but too many people for me. That being said the BA is the better boat for family with kids, a lot more activities for them. Any specific questions il happy to answer.

I agree with everything you said. We and our friends prefer the Dawn over the Breakaway. We have decided we enjoy the smaller ship, but the Breakaway was nice too.

Thanks, all. We've cruised on the Dawn once, but not since the recent drydock. We'll have our kids in their 20s and 30s, along with the 6 yo grandson. I think either way, we'll have a great time.

One negative aspect of cruising on the Dawn to Bermuda is that it arrives in Bermuda on Sunday, when public transportation is limited, taxi fares carry a stiff surcharge, and many stores are closed. It limits what you can do that first day in port. The Breakaway arrives in Bermuda on Wednesday, when full bus and ferry service is running, taxis are priced normally, and everything is open.

Edited by njhorseman

One negative aspect of cruising on the Dawn to Bermuda is that it arrives in Bermuda on Sunday, when public transportation is limited, taxi fares carry a stiff surcharge, and many stores are closed. It limits what you can do that first day in port. The Breakaway arrives in Bermuda on Wednesday, when full bus and ferry service is running, taxis are priced normally, and everything is open.

I agree with this, but I also have a flip side. At least for ME.

As much as I try not to, I spend the days leading up to Bermuda, looking forward to and anticipating arrival. I "waste" enjoying the actual cruise. For the return trip, I am in no hurry at all.

So for my simple mind, one day before Bermuda and two days after makes my cruise seem longer.

Having sailed with my "kids" while they were in their 20's, I would have to say make it the Breakaway. A few years ago, we gave them a choice for a Christmas present. It was between the 4 of us in a balcony on the Breakaway or a suite on the Dawn. Both Bermuda cruises. After looking at the activities on the ship, they picked the Breakaway and loved it.