Hilo rainfall

Quasar1011

Weather stations around the world, post their 24-hour precipitation amounts at 1200Z. In Hilo, that is 2 a.m. I just noticed that for the past 2 days, Hilo recorded 5.37" of rainfall for the 24-hour period ending 2 a.m. today (Wednesday); plus 6.13" of rainfall for the 24-hour period ending 2 a.m. Tuesday. That's a 2-day total of 11.50" inches of rain! (Source: Weather Underground).

Hilo also recorded some thunderstorms. Lightning isn't that common in Hawaii.

During the same period, Kona, on the Leeward side of the island, had a trace of rainfall.

Edited by Quasar1011

Those trends are generally the same in the Hawaiian islands...windward eastern areas can receive large amounts of rainfall & the leeward western areas get much less. This is particularly true when there are tall mountains between windward & leeward sides such as Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea on the Big Island and Haleakala on Maui.

Hilo's rainfall results in a great flower growing area & Kona has great coffee growing regions. On Maui the windward side of Haleakala such as Hana is a rainforest; on the leeward side it's scrub brush, keawe trees & even some cactus. I've seen the windward side get over a foot of rain in 24 hours while here in South Maui it was a trace of rain.

I've read that Kauai's Mt Waialeale has the highest yearly recorded rainfall averaging 450" per year. The West Maui mountains receive the second highest amount averaging 350" per year. That amount of rainfall creates a lot of erosion throughout history & have read that at one time the 5,000' West Maui mountains were taller than 10,000' Haleakala.

The effects of El Niño have resulted in more summertime rainfall throughout the islands as tropical cyclones from the eastern Pacific have resulted in more summer storms in 2015 and this year.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes our islands have been having some rather wet weather moving through since Sunday. I live in one of the typically drier areas on Oahu and we've had downright downpours nearly every day this week, and last night I was sitting out on my lanai enjoying thunder and lightning because yes it is pretty rare here!

Hilo does typically get much more rainfall than Kona. I believe that the Kona area is even drier on average than the dry parts of Oahu. Somewhat surprised they've missed the rain that's been brought in by the weather system, but not too much since mountains disrupt wind flow in weather systems so that could keep it away from that region. Heck, even tropical storms don't seem to be any match for Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa!

~Katy