buying meds while in Canada??

dogdoc2002

Does anyone know if you can take a prescription (from the US) to Canada (we'll be in Vancouver next month) and get it filled? One of our dogs is on medication that is far less expensive to get through Canadian pharmacies online than through anything in the US (it's a human medication). Figure if it's possible, we'll get some while we're there and not have to deal with the international shipping (last few have been via Turkey or Malaysia).

I tried searching the forum but didn't come across anything recent

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

While pharmacy laws vary from province to province, in British Columbia to have a prescription filled the prescription must be from a local doctor, a prescription from a US doctor will not suffice. By the time you pay for a doctor's visit in Vancouver any savings will have been lost. Further, I am not at all certain that you will find a doctor that will write a script for a dog. That all said, there are certain medications that we can purchase 'over the counter' without a script that you can't purchase in the US so it may not hurt to visit a pharmacy and have a chat with the pharmacist.

I'd check the drug status here first. If it's not a prescription drug in Canada, then you're good to go but should only take 50 dose units with you (this is the 'official unofficial' limit for declared meds being taken back to the USA for personal use - frankly I would also openly declare it's for my dog and risk confiscation rather than face charges of drug smuggling if you don't declare it...). This site here should give you a good idea where to buy it at the lowest price in local pharmacies.

If it is also a prescription drug up here you are S.O.L. because as a human med you need a local doctor to prescribe it. Unless you bring the dog and take it to a local vet, the only way you'll get a scrip is to have a medical issue yourself which also has the same drug prescribed for it, then go see a doctor and pay to be examined (ballpark at least $50 in the sketchiest walk-in clinic, could go north of $100 in a nice downtown clinic as there is no set fee list, you can charge what you like for pay services).

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's for a Flovent inhaler, so I don't think it's over the counter (they come as in metered 120 dose inhalers). I've had clients go to get some meds before (to Ontario), but that was a pill form medication

And sadly doggie is not joining us on the cruise. Someone has to hold to fort down on the home front

dogdoc2002

Yup, Flovent requires a prescription whether inhaler or powder form. If memory serves, Ontario pharmacies can sell drugs without a local doctors scrip - bus trips to Niagara are hugely popular with US seniors to stock up on meds as well as see the pretty waterfalls... but that doesn't work out here in BC.

Does anyone know if you can take a prescription (from the US) to Canada (we'll be in Vancouver next month) and get it filled? One of our dogs is on medication that is far less expensive to get through Canadian pharmacies online than through anything in the US (it's a human medication). Figure if it's possible, we'll get some while we're there and not have to deal with the international shipping (last few have been via Turkey or Malaysia).

I tried searching the forum but didn't come across anything recent

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

Note that you can purchase over-the-counter Tylenol #1 and also cough liquid with codeine in it. Up to 500 pills.

I would go to London Drugs online web site or Shoppers Drug Mart online website to find out about the inhaler.