Port Canaveral to Orlando Early Flight time question

stingray310

I have no experience cruising out of Port Canaveral, but I have cruised several times out of the Miami & Ft. Lauderdale ports, so I am not familiar with the Port Canaveral terminal and times and distances to the Orlando airport for making earlier flights. I'm just wondering what others opinions are of making and 11:35am flight from Orlando airport. I know Carnival does not recommend any return flights earlier than 12:50pm, but I know in Miami we typically get off the ship and we can be at Ft. Lauderdale airport by 8:00 or 8:30, so I know Carnival allows a lot of buffer on their recommended flight times.

We have Platinum status with Carnival so there is not a problem with getting off of the ship early, but I'm just looking for recommendations from previous Port Canaveral terminal cruisers on the best way whether to take a shared shuttle, private shuttle or rental car, because I don't think Carnival will let us take their shuttle with an 11:35 flight. Our other option is to wait for a 3:50 or later flight and rent a car and find something else to do before our flight, but I think we will just be ready to get on a plane and head back home after being away for a week.

I know there are many unforeseen factors that could affect the debarkation times, but I'm just looking for peoples typical arrival times at the Orlando airport based on previous experiences without delays or other problems.

Thanks,

Cruiser310

It will take you approximately 45 min from port to airport. The major problem is clearing all the security points in the airport. Orlando is always a busy airport due to Disney. We always allow 2-3 hours to get to the gate without running. We live in the area. Hopefully this is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For an 11:30 flight you need to be at MCO by 10:00 (and as mentioned above, 9:30 or earlier is better!). Figure an hour to get from PC to MCO means you need to be off the ship and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:30.

With your status it should work, but I would invest in dedicated/private transport (call Michael at Executive VIP) instead of messing around with a shared shuttle.

I personally would not book the flight - I prefer not to spend my cruise worried about the flight home - and would look at flights leaving after 12:30 - 1:00

I would like to thank everyone for their responses, I will definitely take all comments into consideration when making my decision. I would definitely feel more comfortable with a 12:30 or 1:00 flight, but the next available flight that works for us isn't until 3:50 and that's a little bit more time than I would like to spend at the airport. I was just weighing my options based on other cruises out of Miami and getting off the ship and arriving at Ft. Lauderdale airport by 8:00 or 8:30 and thought Port Canaveral to Orlando airport may be a similar experience, but I have never sailed from Port Canaveral before.

Thanks again

I do not think it is a problem at all. I have never used shared shuttles, but with a private car it takes only 45 min to get to the airport. You will have plenty of time. As someone already mentioned, you will have to arrive to MCO not later than 10 am. On your place i would book a private transfer from the port around 8:30-9:00 am. You will arrive around 9:15-9:45 am the latest (2 hours prior to departure)!

• 3 years later...

For an 11:30 flight you need to be at MCO for check in, bag drop, TSA, etc. by about 10:00 - 9:30 is better given the typical TSA chaos there (do you have Pre-Check?).  Figure and hour to load into the van and make it from PC to MCO, so that translates into off the ship, with  bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:30-9:00.  Should not be difficult, but if you are a worrier then carry your bags off early.  Go Port, Cortrans, and Cocoa Beach all offer shuttle service between PC and MCO and are often suggested on this board - book who you want.

Have a great cruise! 😎

• 5 weeks later...

IS A 10 am flight@MCO possible with a 6 am arrival at PortCanaveral ?( Sunday arrival )

Will self assist walk off and have an arranged PVT Transportation  to Airport - I figure off the ship by 7 - 1 hour to Airport and arrive at MCO 8 am ish.

Not ideal but is it doable?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by Forecheck
none

It is doable as long as nothing goes wrong. Delayed arrivel; customs or immigration hold up; traffic accident on 528   What is your back up plan?

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? 🤔  I would choose a flight leaving at noon or later, but it is your call.

3 hours ago, Forecheck said:

IS A 10 am flight@MCO possible with a 6 am arrival at PortCanaveral ?( Sunday arrival )

Will self assist walk off and have an arranged PVT Transportation  to Airport - I figure off the ship by 7 - 1 hour to Airport and arrive at MCO 8 am ish.

Not ideal but is it doable?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think 11:30 am flight is a problem at all! You will have plenty of time. Self-disembarkation + private transfer (45 min) and you will be at the airport way before your scheduled departure. My friends who cruise twice a year book 10:30 am flights from MCO and make it every time.

Edited by LaurenMD