Carnival Glory 10.22.2016

dobug84

Hello All! My husband and I are going on the Carnival Cruise to the Western Caribbean in October on the Glory. This is our second cruise with Carnival, however we did not do shore excursions the first time around, and we would like to participate in some this time around. I have read multiple articles about booking excursions thru a third party and not the cruise line. Is this a good idea? If so, what are some things to consider? If not, why are they not? Also we did not take out insurance on the first trip, is this something that we should do or is it just an extra cost that can be avoided? We were so taken aback and overwhelmed we certainly didn't experience everything we could have the first time around. Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated so that we can get the most bang for our buck! Thanks in advance!:)

It totally depends on which port... IMHO. I would never book with an independent operator if I felt unsafe or concerned about tender back to ship on time. Also, sometimes the private excursions seem like a deal, then you discover you have to pay for taxi to and from location, so price works out to near the same price as through the cruise ship. It pays to do your research.

It is a good start to check out the PORTS OF CALL forums for your itinerary. Then do research, take some of the comments and criticisms with a grain of salt. The negative people are more likely to write a comment than the people who thought it was good.

I have also found, after 4 cruises, that the staff at the Excursion desk know very little about the excursions, and can steer you wrong. Just my experience, but I don't think most of them have done 90% of the excursions offered and will just say anything off the top of their heads. They are nice and probably well-intentioned, but not very knowlegeable.

Just my 2 cents.

Glory 10/22 ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize. AS new cruisers, you shouldn't take independent full day tours in Belize, if only for the possibility of missing the last tender to the ship.

In the other 3 ports, you can choose independents which are usually less expensive than the ship tours. Cozumel and GC are especially easy to get around in by cab on your own. There are several "beach clubs" on each to choose from.

In Roatan, I would avoid Canival's man made beach next to the port, and opt for West Bay Beach (or Tabyana), Little French Cay or Maya Cay.

I agree with Little French Key in Roatan. Go right to their website and book. It's not available through Carnival so don't confuse that one with Big French Key. There is also a sloth sanctuary that I have seen awesome reviews about.

In Cozumel we love Mr Sanchos and do the all inclusive for $55 per adult. You also book direct with them.

Belize is my least favorite port and I don't even bother getting off there ship anymore. Everything is so far away and I have known people that did the cave tubing. They said the ride there and back were so long that you get minimal time in the water. If I were to go on an excursion there I would book direct through Carnival.

We have already booked one excursion through carnival (before I started researching) for the day we are at Roatan. We are going zip lining! This is a new thing for both my husband and myself! :D

We have already booked one excursion through carnival (before I started researching) for the day we are at Roatan. We are going zip lining! This is a new thing for both my husband and myself! :D

If that's really what you want to do then great. If not, you can also zip line at LFK. You can cancel Carnival shore excursions before boarding and get a refund FYI.

I agree with Little French Key in Roatan. Go right to their website and book. It's not available through Carnival so don't confuse that one with Big French Key. There is also a sloth sanctuary that I have seen awesome reviews about.

In Cozumel we love Mr Sanchos and do the all inclusive for $55 per adult. You also book direct with them.

Belize is my least favorite port and I don't even bother getting off there ship anymore. Everything is so far away and I have known people that did the cave tubing. They said the ride there and back were so long that you get minimal time in the water. If I were to go on an excursion there I would book direct through Carnival.

This is why the OP needs to go do reseach and decide what THEY want to do. We happen to LOVE Belize. We did the Mayan ruins last time and had a blast. Yes, 2 hours drive each way, but the tour guides gave us so much information about history of the country, and current life information that we arrived there before we knew it. On way back, everyone napped. Perfect excursion IMHO, could have been any better... and since we booked through Carnival, the ship waited for us even though we arrived back right at the end of port time. No worries.

Cozumel... yes, zillions of things to do, beach clubs, if that is your thing. Just jump off the ship and grab a taxi. But if you are doing any excursions on the Mainland, don't attempt it unless you book through the ship. Too risky with the ferry issues.

This is why the OP needs to go do reseach and decide what THEY want to do. We happen to LOVE Belize. We did the Mayan ruins last time and had a blast. Yes, 2 hours drive each way, but the tour guides gave us so much information about history of the country, and current life information that we arrived there before we knew it. On way back, everyone napped. Perfect excursion IMHO, could have been any better... and since we booked through Carnival, the ship waited for us even though we arrived back right at the end of port time. No worries.

Cozumel... yes, zillions of things to do, beach clubs, if that is your thing. Just jump off the ship and grab a taxi. But if you are doing any excursions on the Mainland, don't attempt it unless you book through the ship. Too risky with the ferry issues.

I agree that everyone is different. Just stating MY opinion and also that since everything is so far in Belize that I would only venture out on an excursion if it was booked through the Cruiseline. I have known people that did go out on their own and I wouldn't risk it personally even though I am perfectly fine doing so in other ports. Sitting for hours in a bus isn't my thing in the least. I'm glad you like Belize. I don't.

If that's really what you want to do then great. If not, you can also zip line at LFK. You can cancel Carnival shore excursions before boarding and get a refund FYI.

I am new to all of this...

What LFK stand for? I imagine it is something very simple that I am not catching on too.

We are on the same sailing as you. Yay! Less than 2 months.

In Grand Cayman we are just planning a beach day at Seven Mile Beach

In Roatan we have reserved a day at Little French Key

In Belize we booked privately for a tour on horseback. I've read that Belize is not the best port to just "Wing it" and all the appealing excursions through Carnival seem to require long bus rides. So I'm going my own way with Way To Go Tours Belize

Cozumel for us will be a "Wing it" day. Maybe hit up a beach most likely just walk the town. Lunch. Drinks....not necessarily in that order.

The day we are in Cozumel the port will be very busy. 3 Carnival ships and Oasis of the Seas are all scheduled to be there at the same time. I know Cozumel can handle it, but just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums