NCL Fjords Cruise

SteelMagnolia9

I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has been on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. NCL has a transatlantic from Tampa to Southhampton this spring followed by an 8 day Norwegian Fjords cruise. I am seriously considering these cruises (along with a different transatlantic cruise and itinerary with HAL). Hope some of you will be able to provide me some input.

We went on a Norwegian Fjord cruise last August (2015), albeit on Royal Caribbean. It was also an 8 day itinerary. I absolutely loved it. It is more port intensive than other destinations, but well worth it. And if you're on the previous TA, then the ports will probably be welcomed after several sea days.

I'm not sure what the itinerary is, but I would make sure there is a stop in Geiranger. The sail in and sail out were absolutely stunning. Our 2nd favorite day was in Alesund where we took an excursion to the Path of the Trolls. The scenery was fabulous!

We took the NCL STAR to Norway on a 7 day out of Copenhagen in June 2015.

BEST TRIP EVER.

It really doesn't matter which ship you go on as the experience of being there is mindblowing.

We spent 2 days pre and 2 days post cruise in Copenhagen which was totally worth it. Hotels in Copenhagen were more expensive than anything else on the trip.

The views from the ship in the Fjords are incredible and it didn't get dark until well after midnight.

The worst part was that we hardly got any sleep. We always felt like we would miss something.

The STAR was the smallest ship we've been on but the service was amazing. There is something to be said of the level of service on smaller ships.

When the crew is doing trips that are geared toward an older crowd and not redundant (unlike 50 weeks in a row to St. Maarten and Nassau) they will be better rested and more cordial.

We hit Alesund, Gerainger, Flam and Bergen. We enjoyed every port. It mostly rained in Bergen but we still loved it. Actually it rained after lunch in Alesund and was raining the morning we arrived in Gerainger as well (one of the excursions over the pass was snowed out) but we hiked in both ports and had an amazing experience.

Get a balcony. We did not and hindsight 20/20 it would have been money well spent.

If you take Iceland Air over and back be sure to stop into Blue Lagoon on your layover. My wife keeps telling me its time to go back.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll be more than happy to share pictures and stories.

-Sean

We took the Star out of Copenhagen on May 1st this year, same itinerary as above. It was the first Norway cruise of the season, so the crew was almost as excited as the passengers. The level of service was outstanding. Glad we brought coats and gloves.

We booked an aft-facing suite, as the price differential from a balcony was not that large. The view from our balcony was phenomenal, particularly sailing out from Gerainger.

We have done fjords cruise twice with other cruise lines and my recommendation is that Gerainger is on the itinerary as it is just beautiful to sail into. The train excursion in flam is worth doing, some spectacular scenery. It has rained in Bergen the two times we have been and apparently it always rains there but it is pleasant to walk around.

Visited in June this year and the daylight lasting well after midnight was amazing. As long as you know weather can be very changeable and to have an umbrella and waterproof coat etc then you are fine. Our climate is very similar so we were in our summer clothes but a lot of people from warmer climates were wearing much heavier clothing. The scenery is just fantastic. On the sail into Gerainger the lady standing beside me said "don't you just think you've died and gone to heaven"!!