Beach Passes on Maui or Kauai for Cruisers?

ajtraveler66

I see that Norwegian "Pride of America" has two day stays in both Maui and Kauai. So I'm wondering if any of the beach hotels on Kauai or Maui offer any day passes for cruise travelers. If so, which ones would you recommend?

Try a search for "Maui - Hotel with day pass? - Cruise Critic", and that should give you a very informative thread about the subject.

This is a common question on CC but Hawaii is not like Mexico and the Caribbean where this is the norm. However, ALL beaches in Hawaii are public, so you can enjoy the beaches in front of the hotels, eat in their restaurants, use the beach showers, but not use the pools. There is always access to these beaches. Possibly someone will reply who has been able to successfully pay a hotel for use of their pools and beach chairs but I don't think I have read of any. The Westin Maui on Kaanapali has a beach service in front of that hotel which rents chairs, umbrellas, etc. Have fun, Cherie

This is a common question on CC but Hawaii is not like Mexico and the Caribbean where this is the norm. However, ALL beaches in Hawaii are public, so you can enjoy the beaches in front of the hotels, eat in their restaurants, use the beach showers, but not use the pools. There is always access to these beaches. Possibly someone will reply who has been able to successfully pay a hotel for use of their pools and beach chairs but I don't think I have read of any. The Westin Maui on Kaanapali has a beach service in front of that hotel which rents chairs, umbrellas, etc. Have fun, Cherie

We have found the same issue in Hawaii vs. Caribbean

Anyone with input would be appreciated by me also.

We have found the same issue in Hawaii vs. Caribbean

Anyone with input would be appreciated by me also.

All of the beaches are public in Hawaii. In Kauai I think you will dock near one of the beautiful Marriott hotels in Lihue. It is a beautiful beach with calm water. You can use the beach, shop, eat at the restaurants, etc. And as a previous poster mentioned, you can't use their pools or chairs (plenty of beach space that locals use with towels, etc.) without getting a pass from them - about $50 for the day. When I'm on the island, I call to get a day pass for the pool. Or reserve a spa time (love the massage right on the beach in a private cabana) and get it as part of the spa/massage package. I'd look up or call Marriott Lihue for that stop over.

All of the beaches are public in Hawaii. In Kauai I think you will dock near one of the beautiful Marriott hotels in Lihue. It is a beautiful beach with calm water. You can use the beach, shop, eat at the restaurants, etc. And as a previous poster mentioned, you can't use their pools or chairs (plenty of beach space that locals use with towels, etc.) without getting a pass from them - about $50 for the day. When I'm on the island, I call to get a day pass for the pool. Or reserve a spa time (love the massage right on the beach in a private cabana) and get it as part of the spa/massage package. I'd look up or call Marriott Lihue for that stop over.

Can you specify which islands/hotels you were able to get a day pass for and what was included, for those who feel it is necessary to sit around a hotel pool in Hawaii?

As noted, all beaches are public. Many hotels will rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach. Kaanapali Beach on Maui is a great location for this. Park near the Whalers Village Shopping Mall and walk through. There are hotels down the beach in either direction. If you tire of the beach, have lunch or a drink in one of the hotel beach bars. The hotels will even sell you tickets for their outdoor fun, like the catamarans that pick you up right off the beach. A much better use of your money than $100 for two for a day pass to use a pool. I would not do it unless it included food and drink.

In Kauai, the Marriott as noted can be reached by a shuttle from the ship, but it is only a 15 minute walk via the sidewalk. Lots of tree shaded beach, and a Dukes outdoor bar at the Marriott as well as other restaurants and shopping you can walk to as well as beach vendors. The hotel has a botanical garden enclosed by the open air hotel walls ( the hotel was built around it years ago ). It is a lovely spot to cool off.