? about the Mediterrean/Euros & Tipping

Yes you need Euros in these three countries. For meals its generally included(it will say on the check) but a few coins are usually left. Otherwise tipping is about the same as it is here. I use ATM's to get them(euros) when I am there much cheaper than changing money anywhere else.

Ann they may not charge but they don't give the best exchange rate(they take the fee out in the difference between what they paid for the Euros and what they give them to you for). I have stopped carry travelers checks for a number of reasons not the least is that ATM's are so readily available at all hours in every country(there are rare exceptions) but these three are not any problem at all.

Ann they may not charge but they don't give the best exchange rate(they take the fee out in the difference between what they paid for the Euros and what they give them to you for). I have stopped carry travelers checks for a number of reasons not the least is that ATM's are so readily available at all hours in every country(there are rare exceptions) but these three are not any problem at all.

I hate to use ATM`s........don`t use them here either:o

I usually get AMEX travelers checks. There are offices in every country. Change to Euros, no charge. If I have Euros left over:rolleyes: I get them changed over before I leave.

If you need to access bank etc to cash checks - do check opening times as European establishments - shops/banks etc tend to close roughly 12.30 - 3pm.

Personally I'd go the ATM route....

Ann with respect, I am $120.00 ahead on ATM's and I don't have to go when the office is open. I don't know how you get real cash in the good old US but I haven't stood in a bank line for years and the supermarkets don't like to do it either. That being said the issue was do you need Euros in Europe and except for the UK and I think Denmark and some of the Scandinavian countries the answer is yes...dollars don't work as well.

Ann with respect, I am $120.00 ahead on ATM's and I don't have to go when the office is open. I don't know how you get real cash in the good old US but I haven't stood in a bank line for years and the supermarkets don't like to do it either. That being said the issue was do you need Euros in Europe and except for the UK and I think Denmark and some of the Scandinavian countries the answer is yes...dollars don't work as well.

Cash?? don`t use it:D Charge everything.......get points.......always keep some cash on hand for emergencies:D

We found that the best exchange rate, and the most convenient way to get Euros was by ATM - they were everywhere.

I took AmEx TC's and was able to cash them without a fee on Millennium, but the price I paid for them here was high compared to the rate by ATM. I'm with Smeyer on this one....next time I'll skip the TC's and use ATMs and Credit Card.

(A friend who was in Florence in August said that there was a one hour line at the AmEx office to cash TC's)

Cash?? don`t use it:D Charge everything.......get points.......always keep some cash on hand for emergencies:D

the CC companies are charging 3% surcharge to charge overseas...personally I'll pay cash and not get the refund. There are times that cash only has to be used in the US. Some service people. You can always print it yourself me I'll get it from an ATM.

I find many places in Europe do not want credit cards, small establishments and even small cafes only will take Euro in cash form. They don't want to pay for your "points".

To the OP use your ATM and get Euro from the Cash point machines it is very easy and fast. I always bring home any extra to have for my next trip.

Just returned from my Med cruise . . .

I used the ATM twice (once at the Barcelona aiport, once in Barcelona Gothic quarter). Plenty of ATMS in Spain, France, and Italy. I took out a total of 350 E.

Credit cards (Mastercard, Visa, Amex) were widely accepted at almost every shop and restaurant. Vendors on the streets, however, did not accept CCs. Some smallar gelato, pizzerias shops in Italy also did not accept CCs.

I used my cash for taxis, private tour in Rome, purchases at street vendors, additional small tips at restaurants, donations at cathedrals, Touristic mini train in Marseille, train fare & city bus fare in France & Italy, and tipping of toilet attendant.

The purser desk will exchange your travelers checks for cash, but travelers checks are very difficult to use nowadays b/c most ppl don't accept them. So, you'll have to either get cash from an ATM or by exchanging those pesky TC. BTW, you can charge your onboard tips (for waiter, steward) on your CC. Forms are located at the pursers desk.

Will I need Euros in Spain, France and Italy?

Do we tip in those countries? If so, what's the guidelines?

Many restaraunts charge a service charge which cover the tip. Be sure to look on the menus to see if they charge it, or ask, or check the bill. If you get exceptional service a few coins extra are really appreciated. If a service charge is not included, 10% to 15% tip is appropriate.

There are also cover charges, so look for those on the menus or ask. Some of the better locations charge 3 euros each, so for four of us in Florence at the Duomo, it was 12 euros ($15) to sit down. It is not a service charge, so the service charge / tip is in addition for the waiter.

The good thing is you can use the same currency in all of those countries, before the euro, you needed a different currency for each country.

Worst exchange rates are with travelers checks. A little better rate usually with greenbacks. Best rates are ATMs and credit cards. If you exchange at a bank or money exchanger, ask for the net amount. Most advertize an exchange rate and then stick you with the fee. Ask for the bottom line, ie I give you 100 dollars, how many euros do you give me. There are big differences, Airports are the worst rates of all.

To the OP use your ATM and get Euro from the Cash point machines it is very easy and fast. I always bring home any extra to have for my next trip.

Exactly. And since the Euro is good in 12 countries, I never bother to change the Euro's back to dollars. Why pay for two transactions instead of one! However, if a person is so sure they'll not need Euro's again for many years, it would be better to trade with a friend who's taking a trip.

We're going back to Australia this winter and have about $100. Australian Dollars left over from our last trip. Now that the exchange rate is less favorable for the american dollar, I'm sorry we don't have more!

Jane

I agree with previous posts - ATM's are the best way to go. The exchange rate was VERY good and service charge was minimal (try to make large withdrawals and fewer of them). I used my credit cards in several restaurants and shops ... now the bills are coming in and I'm finding that some of the conversion rates are pretty bad on those. Some of the establishments use their own in-house conversion rates ... others let the banks do it. ATM's were converting right around $1.20 ... the credit card charges converted between $1.28 and $1.46 - so I paid 22% more for the "privilege" of charging it. Next time it will be all cash from ATM's.

Archived