Carnival or Norweigan?

jelomu

Trying to decide which way to go.

My friend and I have cruise with carnival, and loved it. However she's a moderate drinker and I don't drink it all. So her bar bill on our cruise was a little over $700.

So this time we thought we would try Norwegian, because of the free drinks package. But I really like the itinerary of the carnival cruise… So I looked into their cheers program.

It would cost us each an extra $225 to get the cheers program not sure if it's worth it or staying with Norwegian and get the package free.

I like Carnivals itinerary better, but I just really need a vacation right now...so I'm not being too picky!

Has anyone tried both carnival and Norwegian and can compare them? Unfortunately with Carnaval we both have to buy the cheers program, however I won't use it😕

Carnival's Cheer's Program is almost all inclusive, including bottled water and the fancy coffee & tea drinks.

https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/SQA/cheers

All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $50.00 or lower menu price

Sodas, Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages

Large format water bottles in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants

25% discount off the menu price for any spirit or wine by the glass above $50.00

25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle

25% discount off beverage seminars and classes

I have always found them to be more similar than different. Did you account for the gratuities you have to pay for NCL's drink package? Also keep in mind that NCL just raised prices on their drinks and made some drinks ineligible for inclusion with the beverage package. Is the CCL itinerary worth an extra $225 to you?

Ok, so I didn't add on the tax when I calculated the cheers cost for the week.

So that really brings up the cost...

It looks like Norweigan is still the better plan, at $765.00 pp including the 18% tax for the free beverage package...

Carnival would be an extra$365. coming in at $1130......and I don't drink:eek:

Looks like we'll be trying NCL for the first time!!

Thanks everyone!

Ok, so I didn't add on the tax when I calculated the cheers cost for the week.

So that really brings up the cost...

It looks like Norweigan is still the better plan, at $765.00 pp including the 18% tax for the free beverage package...

Carnival would be an extra$365. coming in at $1130......and I don't drink:eek:

Looks like we'll be trying NCL for the first time!!

Thanks everyone!

You made the choice we would have made given your options....in fact we are booked on CCL Sunshine next month and NCL Escape for next year :D. Have fun!

I'm Platinum on Carnival and have taken two NCL cruises, with three more booked. They're more alike thank different. If you go to the NCL forum and type "Carnival" in the search box, you get several threads comparing the two lines.

I tried NCL a couple years ago for the first time because of the variety of dining options. I love the specialty restaurants. IMO, NCL's steak house (Cagney's) isn't quite as good as Carnival's steak houses, but it's still very good. There's also Japanese, French, Italian, Brazilian, etc. on NCL.

As far as the free drinks promo on NCL, keep in mind you do have to pay 18% service charge/gratuity on the value of the package, so it's about $99 for 7-day cruise. Unlike Carnival's drink package, you aren't limited to the number of drinks you can have in a day, but NCL's doesn't include specialty coffees or bottle water. As someone pointed out, NCL recently raised their drink prices, but most drinks are below the $15 threshold for the package. It's just the super premium (I think that's what they're called) spirits that no longer quality, but even then you pay only the amount over $15 that it comes to + 18% on that amount, so it's usually about $2 + 18% (about $2.30 or so).

Another thing to keep in mind is that as of mid-July you can no longer bring water or soda on board NCL. Fountain drinks are included in the beverage package, but bottle water isn't. That's an huge deal for some people. Personally, I'm bringing a water bottle on y cruise in 28 days as I'm fine with the ship's water. :D

I like Carnival (thought it's been about 3 1/2 years since I've been on a Carnival ship), but I like NCL more.

Have a great cruise whichever you decide on!