Cruise terminal employees

maritimecruiser

The security people are Port Authority. The people behind the desk handing you your S&S card are Carnival employees

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not quite, they are employed by an agency not owned by Carnival Corp and they may represent more than one cruise line. On Monday they may be assigned to work Princess and Saturday Carnival.

The people who check you in ARE employed by Carnival. They are often retired people looking for extra money and also to cash in on their cruise benefit for working for Carnival.

They are on a "Stand By" status for a cruise. If there is space available they can get a cabin.

The man that checked us in on our Inspiration cruise was hoping he could get one the Miracle cruise we had booked right after the Inspiration. Sure enough, he was able to get an outside cabin. We had a nice time with him and his wife throughout the cruise.

The porters and Security people are not Carnival employees.

Take care,

Mie

The people who check you in are not Carnival employees. I know this because one of my cousins works in New York for the company that does this. She can be assigned to any ship that uses the Port of New York Carnival, Norwegian, the Queen Mary, etc. For each cruise company she wears the same outfit but with a different neck scarf.

The people who check you in are not Carnival employees. I know this because one of my cousins works in New York for the company that does this. She can be assigned to any ship that uses the Port of New York Carnival, Norwegian, the Queen Mary, etc. For each cruise company she wears the same outfit but with a different neck scarf.

It may be that way in New York but it is not that way in Long Beach.

Take care,

Mike

I also know this for New York.

We only sail from Long Beach and San Pedro and the check in staff do not receive a paycheck from the Carnival Corporation. They are on the payroll of the agency contracted by Carnival to provide the check in staffing. Yes, these agency employees are sometimes allowed to sail on a space available basis with the permission of their agency supervisor and Carnival, but that perk does not make them Carnival employees as they are not.

I'm not in the know on this but I can add that on our last Carnival cruise in March out of port Everglades we stepped up to the counter to check in and the gal said "welcome to Royal Caribbean." My husband and I looked at her funny and she laughed and said "oops, I worked that ship yesterday." She went on to explain that her company checks in all the cruise lines there and she might do RC one day, Celebrity the next, etc.

Edited by kids-in-2-centuries

All of the people who you come in contact with at any given port may or may not work for who they appear to. It varies port to port. In some ports where there aren't many sailings they use staffing agencies for check in. In some ports where there are many sailings they still use an agency, because that is how the port contracts are written.

Even the security people may or may not be TSA. There are numerous US airports where security isn't TSA, but rather outsourced to an organization accredited by the US government to perform those duties. Ironically they usually perform much better in finding weapons and such on DHS tests.

Bottom line, you simply can't make assumptions on a one size fits all approach when it comes to the ship and air ports in the USA.

I asked one time about security and was told they are TSA employees, just like at the airports. I asked one of the security people that question.

Im most ports you won't find a TSA security officer in sight. Security at the ports are a contract group of private security employees. They are the ones that operate the scanner and wand you if necessary.

The uniformed police officers you see are a smattering of port police and most are officers from around the area working an "extra job."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by BallFour4

When we were checking in to the Dream there was an issue and we were told Guest Services on board would have to resolve it. Guest Services told us that the folks at the check in's were not Carnival employees but, private contractors and that was the reason.

Edited by Cinders411

Along this line, at airports now most people who are working the desks at the 'front' of the house are not airline employees either. They are contracted people who actually work for an external company. The airlines contract these positions because they are saving money by not giving them any benefits nor perks. They might be wearing an airline uniform but they are not employees of that airline.

Along this line, at airports now most people who are working the desks at the 'front' of the house are not airline employees either. They are contracted people who actually work for an external company. The airlines contract these positions because they are saving money by not giving them any benefits nor perks. They might be wearing an airline uniform but they are not employees of that airline.

Yes for luggage handling, Sky caps, etc. But not for the counter. The same people who have been checking me in for the past 12 years are still there at MCO. Now they wear AA rather than US uniforms, but they are all employees. Their airport badges will tell you who they work for.

Edited by ducklite

Not quite, they are employed by an agency not owned by Carnival Corp and they may represent more than one cruise line. On Monday they may be assigned to work Princess and Saturday Carnival.

I stand corrected, thank you San....the people handing you your SS card can be Carnival employees or a sub contractor to the Cruiselines. The Security people are usually PA, but in some instances I have seen outside security firms as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

At Port Canaveral the agents work for InterCruises. Security is provided by a private company along with people working for Brevard County Sheriff's Department. The guards for both the private company and the sheriff's department are unarmed but augmented by regular sheriff deputies (armed). The folks who run the scanning machines and who wand you (if needed) work for the private company. The Sheriff's Department provides security for the port 24/7 (patrol the parking lots and the commercial piers). The private company employees take off when the ship leaves.

I'm not in the know on this but I can add that on our last Carnival cruise in March out of port Everglades we stepped up to the counter to check in and the gal said "welcome to Royal Caribbean." My husband and I looked at her funny and she laughed and said "oops, I worked that ship yesterday." She went on to explain that her company checks in all the cruise lines there and she might do RC one day, Celebrity the next, etc.

Now that's funny, thanks for sharing :)