Advice and Recommendations for Juneau

Mitch2016

Hey all! Have so enjoyed this forum for all the advice we have received so far for our upcoming trip to Alaska next June. Pretty soon, we'll be able to start booking for next year once this year's season is done and we're narrowing down our plans.

Needing advice here again. We would like to do either the Taku Lodge Glacier Tour and Salmon Bake or Whale watching in Juneau. Don't think it's in the budget to do both. We will also be doing the Kenai Fjord National Park Tour in Seward. We really want to see the humpback whales while in Alaska as we missed them when we were in Hawaii 3 years ago. Will we see whales on the Kenai Fjord tour? I know that most carriers guarantee 100% that you will see whales in Juneau. I think that other then Kenai, Juneau is our only port with that opportunity as we aren't going to Icy Strait Point.

What have others done and how did they feel about their experiences. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! We're getting so excited...and I'm getting so obscessed with my research and planning.....arrgh! (But that's half the fun! :))

Hey all! Have so enjoyed this forum for all the advice we have received so far for our upcoming trip to Alaska next June. Pretty soon, we'll be able to start booking for next year once this year's season is done and we're narrowing down our plans.

Needing advice here again. We would like to do either the Taku Lodge Glacier Tour and Salmon Bake or Whale watching in Juneau. Don't think it's in the budget to do both. We will also be doing the Kenai Fjord National Park Tour in Seward. We really want to see the humpback whales while in Alaska as we missed them when we were in Hawaii 3 years ago. Will we see whales on the Kenai Fjord tour? I know that most carriers guarantee 100% that you will see whales in Juneau. I think that other then Kenai, Juneau is our only port with that opportunity as we aren't going to Icy Strait Point.

What have others done and how did they feel about their experiences. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! We're getting so excited...and I'm getting so obscessed with my research and planning.....arrgh! (But that's half the fun! :))

We went whale watching in Juneau and it was absolutely amazing. We used Harv and Marv (easily searchable on google or trip advisor) based on recommendations here and on trip advisor. It was worth every penny. We had an amazing guide named Liz, and our boat was small with just the four of us (DH, my parents, and me). If you would like picture or video proof of how amazing it was my cruise review and video are linked in my signature. Regardless, please look into booking a whale watching tour with harv and marv. You wont regret it. This tour was unanimously our group's favorite part of the trip to Alaska.

I know nothing about the Kenai Fjords tour, so don't know if you'll see whales there. If not, whale watching in Juneau is a must. I came to Alaska the first time over twenty years ago. I came the second time a couple of years later because I'd heard others describe the whales and I hadn't seen any. I went whale watching on the second trip and feasted on the majesty of that encounter for many years. What seems like a lifetime later I got a chance to bring my 85 year old Mom to Alaska. We went whale watching and over a year later she's still raving about the trip. Next year I'm bringing my teenage nieces to Alaska. They can choose what we do in Skagway and Ketchikan . In Juneau, I'm taking them to see the whales. There's nothing better.

Vicki

I know nothing about the Kenai Fjords tour, so don't know if you'll see whales there. If not, whale watching in Juneau is a must. I came to Alaska the first time over twenty years ago. I came the second time a couple of years later because I'd heard others describe the whales and I hadn't seen any. I went whale watching on the second trip and feasted on the majesty of that encounter for many years. What seems like a lifetime later I got a chance to bring my 85 year old Mom to Alaska. We went whale watching and over a year later she's still raving about the trip. Next year I'm bringing my teenage nieces to Alaska. They can choose what we do in Skagway and Ketchikan . In Juneau, I'm taking them to see the whales. There's nothing better.

Vicki

We went whale watching in Juneau and it was absolutely amazing. We used Harv and Marv (easily searchable on google or trip advisor) based on recommendations here and on trip advisor. It was worth every penny. We had an amazing guide named Liz, and our boat was small with just the four of us (DH, my parents, and me). If you would like picture or video proof of how amazing it was my cruise review and video are linked in my signature. Regardless, please look into booking a whale watching tour with harv and marv. You wont regret it. This tour was unanimously our group's favorite part of the trip to Alaska.

Thank you both for your input and experience! That is why I am so torn! I want to see the whales, but have heard there isn't anything better than seeing the Ice Fields and Glaciers by air. Would love to do both but not even sure if it is possible. Our ship arrives into Juneau at 11:00 a.m and then leaves at 9:00 p.m.

Would love to hear from others who have done both of these things in a visit....is it too much? Mapleleaves, Coral or Budget Queen....what do you think? You guys know so much and I respect your opinions immensely!

Mitch2016,

Following! I am having the same problem. I simply cannot fit everything into our Juneau day. We are in port 12-9 and I am torn between Harv and Marv and Gastineau Guiding for a small # of passengers whale watch. Both are rated well. BUT, like you, I feel compelled to do SOMETHING by air - but I just don't seem to be able to fit it all in - the excursion times don't allow for both. I would be interested to see how you can solve this or maybe other cruisers have great suggestions I am missing.

Yes, I know, I will have to come back. I keep reading that, too.

Have a wonderful cruise - looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Thank you both for your input and experience! That is why I am so torn! I want to see the whales, but have heard there isn't anything better than seeing the Ice Fields and Glaciers by air. Would love to do both but not even sure if it is possible. Our ship arrives into Juneau at 11:00 a.m and then leaves at 9:00 p.m.

Would love to hear from others who have done both of these things in a visit....is it too much? Mapleleaves, Coral or Budget Queen....what do you think? You guys know so much and I respect your opinions immensely!

I think you have time to do both, so I suggest you see if they can be scheduled. Your ship may not offer more than one Taku Lodge Flight and Feast excursion, but you will be offered more time options if you contact the vendor directly: http://www.wingsairways.com. Do the same with several whale-watching companies.

It isn't too early to book tours for 2017, as I already have tours booked in 4 ports for next May! As far as the expense - the two tours probably still cost less than dog sledding on a glacier!

Mitch2016,

Following! I am having the same problem. I simply cannot fit everything into our Juneau day. We are in port 12-9 and I am torn between Harv and Marv and Gastineau Guiding for a small # of passengers whale watch. Both are rated well. BUT, like you, I feel compelled to do SOMETHING by air - but I just don't seem to be able to fit it all in - the excursion times don't allow for both. I would be interested to see how you can solve this or maybe other cruisers have great suggestions I am missing.

Yes, I know, I will have to come back. I keep reading that, too.

Have a wonderful cruise - looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

I think you have time to do both, so I suggest you see if they can be scheduled. Your ship may not offer more than one Taku Lodge Flight and Feast excursion, but you will be offered more time options if you contact the vendor directly: http://www.wingsairways.com. Do the same with several whale-watching companies.

It isn't too early to book tours for 2017, as I already have tours booked in 4 ports for next May! As far as the expense - the two tours probably still cost less than dog sledding on a glacier!

Well, here is an update! I heard from the Taku Lodge and they have availability on the 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. excursions. With our ship arriving in port at 11:00, it kind of chops up the day. I think we have decided to skip whale watching in Juneau....I know, unheard of! We will also be doing the Kenai Fjords National Park tour in Seward and although they don't have the volume of whales that Juneau seems to have, we are going to take a chance and hope we get a glimpse of a tail or the back of one! They also say that we may see Orca, porpoise, sea lions, lots of sea birds too. We really want to see the glacier fields by air and think this would be a great place to do it.

We missed the humpbacks in Hawaii, we may miss them in Alaska....guess our next cruise will have to be along the NE coastline (Maine, Massassachusets) and hopefully catch the humpbacks up there!

If anyone still has any input and recommendation....I'm all ears, but it seems that most of the whale companies want you to allow 4-5 hours and I just don't think we're going to have it.

WE did the Taku Glacier Lodge tour in August. It was the highlight of our cruise. THis was our first time in a floatplane and we got some very good photos. The salmon lunch was very generous and we even were visited by one of the local bears. It is a beautiful location. We have previously take the Kenai Fjords 6 hour cruise and it was amazing. We did see whales as well as other wildlife and glaciers. The tour was in June. In Alaska the date is important to wildlife sightings.

WE did the Taku Glacier Lodge tour in August. It was the highlight of our cruise. THis was our first time in a floatplane and we got some very good photos. The salmon lunch was very generous and we even were visited by one of the local bears. It is a beautiful location. We have previously take the Kenai Fjords 6 hour cruise and it was amazing. We did see whales as well as other wildlife and glaciers. The tour was in June. In Alaska the date is important to wildlife sightings.

Thank you so much for this! The more I read up on Taku Lodge and Glacier Trip the more excited I get, it sounds fantastic! I have spoken with Harv and Marv, and their tour times won't work out, Dolphin tours are only 3 hours, but their last tour is at 4:00 and we won't get back to Juneau until 4:00. It just isn't going to work as I don't want to feel rushed. I appreciate the feedback on the Kenai Fjords tour and possibility of seeing the whales there. We're pretty excited about that trip and will keep our fingers crossed that the humpbacks cooperate! We'll be traveling on the Sun and will be cruising June 5-12. We were hoping to see a little snow on the mountain tops, but have it nice and green with spring flowers at sea level :)

Can I ask what else you did with your time in Juneau? What time was your Taku Lodge trip? We're looking for smaller things to do to fill in the gaps!

I am also interested in the responses here. If we do this excursion, I am hoping we have time to then take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and maybe take the Mount Roberts tram also. We are in port 8 am-9 pm. If we don't do Taku, then we will do Harv & Marv and shuttle to the glacier. It's hard to know about timing when we can't book ship excursions yet.

I am also interested in the responses here. If we do this excursion, I am hoping we have time to then take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and maybe take the Mount Roberts tram also. We are in port 8 am-9 pm. If we don't do Taku, then we will do Harv & Marv and shuttle to the glacier. It's hard to know about timing when we can't book ship excursions yet.

You have great times in port! I think you should be able to get both in. You could do your whale watching first, then the 3:00 Taku Lodge trip and still have time to get to Mendenhall in between! We're planning 5 days in the interior after the cruise so will be trekking on Matanuska Glacier and a stop at Exit Glacier when we are in Seward, so if we don't get to Mendenhall that will be okay. We definitely are hoping for clear sky's to do the Mount Roberts tram.

You have great times in port! I think you should be able to get both in. You could do your whale watching first, then the 3:00 Taku Lodge trip and still have time to get to Mendenhall in between! We're planning 5 days in the interior after the cruise so will be trekking on Matanuska Glacier and a stop at Exit Glacier when we are in Seward, so if we don't get to Mendenhall that will be okay. We definitely are hoping for clear sky's to do the Mount Roberts tram.

Wow, I hope so! Is Taku always at the same set times of 1:00 and 3:00? I can't wait for Juneau, it's the port I'm most excited for I think.

Wow, I hope so! Is Taku always at the same set times of 1:00 and 3:00? I can't wait for Juneau, it's the port I'm most excited for I think.

I sent them an email with our date and port times and got a response that they have availability at 1:00 and 3:00 that day. Since you are in port earlier, send off an email to see if they would have an earlier one on your date in port. I'm going to go ahead and reserve with them as they said while people are booking for next summer already, they are not at capacity. Don't want to miss out on this. Yeah, it's a lot of money to shell out but what an experience it will be. We've never done anything like this....#1 a float plane and #2, flying over a glacier field! How cool is that! :)

Our Taku Lodge trip was at 1:00 and was a ship tour. The price was the same as going direct. Our ship, the Maasdam, was docked right by the floatplane docks so we walked over early and took pictures of the planes taking off and landing. Another cc poster had recommended sitting in the back for the best pictures but somebody beat me to it. We got some great pictures from the air but most have wing segments in them! One person was given the co-pilot seat going, and another on the return trip. You will also get nice pictures at the lodge.

Stop by the visitor's center and pick up a walking map if you are interested in seeing Juneau sites. There is a museum which moved to a new location this year. On a clear day the Mt Roberts Tram is a good choice but leave enough time as you may have to wait on the return trip. No need to plan ahead for this, buy your ticket in Juneau.

• 6 months later...

I contacted Wings Airway and booked the flight and feast directly with them. I got to select the departure time, choose my food selection, and got complete information via telephone. Nice people to work with.

You can't go wrong with either.

I actually like Taku Lodge better than whale watching. Whale watching can be amazing and can be slightly disappointing also - it all depends on luck. I have gone more times when it has been "mediocre" as opposed to amazing. When it is amazing, it is truly amazing.

I think Take Lodge has a variety of experiences that is excellent in Alaska. This ranks as one of the favorite excursions in Juneau for a reason. They do not disappoint.

I think you made the right decision. Plus, you can save whale watching for your next trip. :)