Question about mobiles in port

I'm just starting to plan. I have a question about whether a mobile will work on the local network on the ship in Suva.

Bills still need to be paid while I'm away but the cost of Internet on celebrity is frightening [emoji16]. I can use my normal nz plan for $5 a day extra.

Do you have to get off the ship to use it or will it work there?

Ironically the last time I was in Fiji in 2006 I remember hunting around Nadi to do the exact same thing. It should be easier this time with an iPhone [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just starting to plan. I have a question about whether a mobile will work on the local network on the ship in Suva.

Just make sure you are roaming on a land based cellular network and NOT on Cellular@Sea or some other global network transmitted by the ship - they don't normally turn it on in port but just keep an eye on things as you don't want roaming charges on that network and your Vodafone roaming wont cover you when using that

Yes with Vodafone nz [emoji3]

I agree, will have to be pretty careful as I don't want a surprise when I get home!!

Ironically the plan onboard the plane is worse. $20/mb at a minimum! I will definitely pass on that one [emoji16]

Bills still need to be paid while I'm away but the cost of Internet on celebrity is frightening [emoji16]. I can use my normal nz plan for $5 a day extra.

Do you have to get off the ship to use it or will it work there?

Ironically the last time I was in Fiji in 2006 I remember hunting around Nadi to do the exact same thing. It should be easier this time with an iPhone [emoji3]

It looks like you have the internet and know how to use it. Simply schedule bill payments for while you are away and if you do not know the bill make a prediction and increase it so that the bill is in credit when you pay it. It is far simpler to do it that way and keep the phone locked up in the safe and enjoy the holiday without distractions or people pestering you from home.

For once I agree with Brisbane41. ;) :p

You should be able to pay all expected bills before you leave, then you can have a relaxing time without worrying about internet connections and costs.

Most bills are on a monthly, quarterly or some other predictable cycle. Check your account files and work what is due while you're away, then pay the expected amount in advance.

Anything unexpected can wait until you get home.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It's actually just putting the money in the bills account so the bills get paid. I should be able to sort that out [emoji3]

Leaving my phone in the safe is a great idea. I should just buy a new digital camera so I don't get tempted to use my phone on port days [emoji74][emoji74][emoji74] must not ignore the Harvey Norman sale ads.

I'm not so good at taking holidays. But that's probably obvious and exactly why I booked it.

It's actually just putting the money in the bills account so the bills get paid. I should be able to sort that out [emoji3]

Leaving my phone in the safe is a great idea. I should just buy a new digital camera so I don't get tempted to use my phone on port days [emoji74][emoji74][emoji74] must not ignore the Harvey Norman sale ads.

I'm not so good at taking holidays. But that's probably obvious and exactly why I booked it.

You can still use the camera on your phone when it's in flight mode.