Shoes for velvet dress

zcat

Have 3 long sleeve dark color silk velvet long dresses. One velvet suit with huge mink collar and a navy velvet suit with gold scattered "thingys" on it. Always wear the same shoes. Thinking of getting 2 new pair of shoes for a change. Saw gold sandals with a clear plastic heel. Very pretty and pricy. Could not wear stockings with the shoes even if I wanted. Soooo cruise sisters would the sandals look correct with winter velvet? Would you wear the sandals with the 3 outfits? I have a good idea what I should do but wondering what most of you think. I have black velvet shoes with black crystal beads on them and I am sick to death of them - even if they did cost a fortune. Help me out, please. Judy

Zcat,

I don't think bare legs with dark velvet suits would look good. Also, I think that gold sandals (no matter which side of the hose/no hose debate you're on) are probably too delicate and light looking for those items.

I've seen some gorgeous dressy and different looking shoes this fall. One pair I saw is a paisley fabric shoe - dark tones burgundy/navy/green - with a bronze-y gold strap (slingback) and bronze heel. They also had the same shoe in pewter/black tones w/ pewter leather trim. I think they were from BCBG.

How about an evening boot? I saw some in black satin w/ black satin ribbon laces from Stuart Weitzman (I think?)and I saw some lace ones (forget which company). A high heeled, pointy toe black lace boot would look fabulous with black velvet, IMO. Depending on the skirt silhouette and your legs, something like that might work and really make the suits look very au courant.

You could also opt for a metallic pump in a dressy silhouette - pewter would go with the black velvet. Bronze would probably work best with the navy suit with the gold "thingy's".

You have lots of choices. Enjoy shopping!

Jane

I think those shoes sound So Wrong! Conservative sandals might work, but what kind of fashion statement are you trying to make here? I think the shoes you are describing would draw attention away from your outfit and not coordinate at all.

Zcat,

I don't think bare legs with dark velvet suits would look good. Also, I think that gold sandals (no matter which side of the hose/no hose debate you're on) are probably too delicate and light looking for those items.

I've seen some gorgeous dressy and different looking shoes this fall. One pair I saw is a paisley fabric shoe - dark tones burgundy/navy/green - with a bronze-y gold strap (slingback) and bronze heel. They also had the same shoe in pewter/black tones w/ pewter leather trim. I think they were from BCBG.

How about an evening boot? I saw some in black satin w/ black satin ribbon laces from Stuart Weitzman (I think?)and I saw some lace ones (forget which company). A high heeled, pointy toe black lace boot would look fabulous with black velvet, IMO. Depending on the skirt silhouette and your legs, something like that might work and really make the suits look very au courant.

You could also opt for a metallic pump in a dressy silhouette - pewter would go with the black velvet. Bronze would probably work best with the navy suit with the gold "thingy's".

You have lots of choices. Enjoy shopping!

Jane

Thanks Jane that is the way I felt but didn't want to say so because a family member wanted me to buy the shoes. Hmmm wonder what her motive is???????? I have silk dark plaid shoes with a silk tassel super great. Boots? Good idea. I feel better now I wanted back up. Can't see bare legs with winter velvet. Thanks again

I think those shoes sound So Wrong! Conservative sandals might work, but what kind of fashion statement are you trying to make here? I think the shoes you are describing would draw attention away from your outfit and not coordinate at all.

Thank you thank you. I didn't buy them as I said a family member wants me to buy them. No not Pennys these are very very expensive shoes. Summer OK winter heck no. Just wanted some one to back me up. Thanks for your answer. And a big smile from me to you. Judy

I have found some super FABULOUS evening shoes on ebay for very cheap...that way I don't feel so bad having 5 or 6 pairs of shoes that I don't wear often. I save these for evening/cruise/party events and they always look special and sophisticated!!

Ebay is also great for evening jackets, sequin or beaded items, accessories.....

My daughter actually found a pair of velvet shoes shoes that looked really cute with her vlevet stuff. They were black velvet and all her velvet stuff was black or dark wine. They were great until she wore them on a rainy day and ruinned them.

I like suede with velvet. Depending what you wear with the shoes too-if your velvet is the dressy velvet then of course you would want shoes with rinestones or satin trim or something that gives them a dressy look-not the casual suede-unless it is more the velour then velvet you are wearing.

Another option is those satin bridal shoes that you have dyed to match your clothing.

I know a lot of young women like to go hoseless even in the winter and feel this looks good if their legs are tanned but I do not care for that myself-hoseless legs in the summer are fine and cute- but it justs looks stupid to me when it is freezing.

I always pick semi-sheer black hose with velvet-no tights now-unless the velvet outfit is more casual then dressy.

Oh Jane, those shoes sound so yummy, I love the brocade shoes I saw this season. They had some in flats too and I just loved them. I didn't buy any as I felt they would get worn maybe 2x and that's it.

I also think that those gold sandels would be wrong and while I don't wear hose, (I only wear pants in the colder months), I also agree that bare legs is stupid in the winter. I know it was very fashionable for a while and probably still is, I just don't get it and think it's silly looking in the winter, fur coat with bare legs?

I'm no expert on hose as I never wear it anymore so can't comment on that, but I would go with those brocade #'s that Jane suggested or the boots. Love those shoes Jane, got me thinking on them again, lol.

DD has the cutest little shoes for our next cruise. They are a low heel (she's 13 and I don't want her in heels yet!) The basic color is black, but the shoes have some embroidery and sequins sewn onto them. They will actually go with both her formal and less formal dresses. I would wear them with jeans, too!

This is the first year in a long time that I'm happy with fashion, both clothing and shoes. Midriffs are covered again, shoes are beautiful, lots of lovely fabrics!

My boss wore a midriff baring sweater (?) the other day (from 2 years ago, why I don't do trendy) and then complained about being cold. I'll never figure people out, if you're cold, cover up.

You ladies are wonderful. I feel silly asking this question, but I am really in a quandry about shoes and hose for our November cruise to the Caribbean. First of all, I am in my EARLY 50 tys:). I just bought a new long black gown at Nordstroms and the sales associate (same age as me) says I should wear open toed sandals with no hose. Of course my 28 year old daughter agrees! I would think closed toed with hose would be better...am I just not with it? Any advise? Thanks.

You ladies are wonderful. I feel silly asking this question, but I am really in a quandry about shoes and hose for our November cruise to the Caribbean. First of all, I am in my EARLY 50 tys:). I just bought a new long black gown at Nordstroms and the sales associate (same age as me) says I should wear open toed sandals with no hose. Of course my 28 year old daughter agrees! I would think closed toed with hose would be better...am I just not with it? Any advise? Thanks.

What are you comfortable with? What do you think looks better? Personally I do both, it just depends on the outfit/dress. I have a couple of outfits that are bare-legged all the way, and some others that would not look complete without some hose on my legs.

Perhaps you can try your gown on both ways and go from there?

It is a tropical vacation after all...why not go wild and wear the open toed sandals with no hose...We promise not to "talk" about you :D

It is a tropical vacation after all...why not go wild and wear the open toed sandals with no hose...We promise not to "talk" about you :D

Lisa,

Thank you! You are right, open toed sandals it is...ban the panty hose!!! What has happened to me:confused: I did grow up in the "wild and crazy 60's" after all.

Lisa,

Thank you! You are right, open toed sandals it is...ban the panty hose!!! What has happened to me:confused: I did grow up in the "wild and crazy 60's" after all.

LOL, I am younger than you so have no knowledge of growing up in the 60's, and quite older than your dd, but I say... "you go girl!" :D

Archived