Will NCL be disappointing after Royal?

Primarily sailed Royal for several years, decided to branch out and test the waters this year and did NCL Escape and Carnival Vista. Honestly I would say they were about 95% "identical" with the differences between them being very minor.

As noted Escape's pool was not great but it was not a major issue. Valuewise NCL was significantly more bang for the buck than Royal in general and Oasis class in particular.

We are back on Royal again this fall and next fall so by no means advocating you never sail Royal again but just saying the differences between lines are to me at least minor.

The difference between ships can be quite substantial though, in general older/smaller ships offer less to do but at least for us have frequently had more attentive crew.

I would not compare an old/small Carnival to Oasis for example and then declare Royal the superior cruise line ...

Okay... I'd usually try to avoid a direct comparison question like this simply because I don't want to be the one to change your mind. But, here it goes...

As you know, people have all different expectations, something that bothers me might not bother you. With that said, I won't be returning to NCL. I sailed the Epic and was disappointed. There was no major problems, but ship design and friendly service are my two top priorities - NCL did not shine in either of those categories. Now I have heard that their new ships like Escape have improved the design problems, but just from pictures/etc of their newer ships, I like Royal's ships better. I can't tell you whether service has improved, and I don't plan on finding out anytime soon.

I can't answer the OP's question, because I'll be on my first Royal cruise in November. However, I have sailed Carnival, NCL, Princess. I can tell you that I sailed Epic and Breakaway. Breakaway and its sister ships are VASTLY improved from the Epic. There's a reason that the Epic was not replicated. NCL took the feedback to heart- particularly with cabin and ship layouts. Epic was too focused inward and left me feeling disconnected from the sea. I absolutely love the waterfront on Breakaway and its sister ships.

I anticipate that I will love Royal, but I'd have no qualms about sailing NCL again, particularly on Breakaway, Escape, etc.

Primarily sailed Royal for several years, decided to branch out and test the waters this year and did NCL Escape and Carnival Vista. Honestly I would say they were about 95% "identical" with the differences between them being very minor.

As noted Escape's pool was not great but it was not a major issue. Valuewise NCL was significantly more bang for the buck than Royal in general and Oasis class in particular.

We are back on Royal again this fall and next fall so by no means advocating you never sail Royal again but just saying the differences between lines are to me at least minor.

The difference between ships can be quite substantial though, in general older/smaller ships offer less to do but at least for us have frequently had more attentive crew.

I would not compare an old/small Carnival to Oasis for example and then declare Royal the superior cruise line ...

This for sure! I just had this conversation with friends yesterday. When comparing lines, you have to compare apples to apples as all of the major lines now have significant differences between their various ships.

If lack of traditional dining is a deal breaker for you, skip NCL. Otherwise, they are quite similar and you will enjoy it.

Not for us. We experienced MTD on our Allure cruise in April and we were quite happy with it. Mind you, from night 3 onwards, we ended up at the same table, same server, but either way, a 'general restaurant' experience with different time, different waiter doesn't bother us.

It's mostly the atmosphere, things to do (family friendly) and shows that I'm most concerned about. I also love the Royal 'marble feel'...everything is quite beautiful and spotless. So if a ship feels cheap, then that may bother me.

I can't even imagine service being so bad it made me dislike an entire cruise.

I will never understand the comments about we didn't like a cruise because of poor service or unfriendly ship personnel. On the whole ship? Poor service from everyone or at least enough to dislike an entire cruise? No one was friendly? They all walked around with scowls on their faces?

I mean we've had waiter who was less than wonderful or a steward who was less than attentive - even had a Butler who was pretty poor but all were handled with a conversation (not a bit@h session but a statement of the problems and giving them the opportunity to elevate our experience) with the appropriate people - always get it settled.

If a service does not meet your expectations but you do nothing to let those who can correct it know then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

With Royal, we'd be looking at Oasis class, Quantum class is a possibility too, or Freedom, Liberty or Adventure (after dry dock as I think they are getting waterslides). With NCL, it would be newer and bigger ship such as Escape, Getaway, etc

Our biggest issue with NCL was their tag line "Freestyle Cruising. Do what you want, when you want"

That's the biggest joke at sea. You need a reservation for EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. On vacation we don't always know what we will be in the mood for 8 hours later. If you don't make reservations for the restaurants you want to try DAYS in advance, forget it.

Walking along the ship at night we passed a comedy show that was about to start. Nope, sorry. We don't have reservations.

I realize that RCL requires reservations for some things too but NCL uses that tag line which is just a load of crap.

We also were not fans of the pool deck. One main pool, it was adults only. You can even get near it. Everyone puts their lounge chairs in the shallow part surrounding the pool itself. And no kids, so our daughter needed to swim in the kid pool, opposite side of the pool deck, nowhere near the adult only pool. Deck is very chopped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't even imagine service being so bad it made me dislike an entire cruise.

I will never understand the comments about we didn't like a cruise because of poor service or unfriendly ship personnel. On the whole ship? Poor service from everyone or at least enough to dislike an entire cruise? No one was friendly? They all walked around with scowls on their faces?

I mean we've had waiter who was less than wonderful or a steward who was less than attentive - even had a Butler who was pretty poor but all were handled with a conversation (not a bit@h session but a statement of the problems and giving them the opportunity to elevate our experience) with the appropriate people - always get it settled.

If a service does not meet your expectations but you do nothing to let those who can correct it know then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Years ago daiB posted this on CC,

Originally Posted by daiB

Your cruise is like life you get out of it what you put in, If you go around with a smile on your face and treat people as you would like to be treated with a please and thank you then there is every chance you will have the time of your life. On the other hand if you blow up at the first setback and treat people like dirt, then you will get what you deserve and have a lousy time.

We have found this to be the case.:cool:

Only you can figure that out. Take the cruise and let us know. ;)

Especially related to Escape. She was with us in St Thomas this spring and I had an excursion with people from that ship, they seemed happy. There have been a few - "Royal cruiser tries ....." threads here. I would welcome your thoughts when you get back.

I do remember the trip back to the ships from Coki Beach. One of the people getting off at Havensite said, "Its so much nicer than anything Royal has", I asked what Royal Ship they had done and she said Soverign. :) They raved for 10 minutes on the TV screens in each hall way that shows cartoon fish swimming and by looking at that you could always tell which way the front of the ship was.

I want to start off by saying that we haven't been on a cruise we didn't love! But after cruising mostly NCL (highest level-Platinum with them) we took our first cruise on RCL, and have now taken 4 RCL cruises and 2 more booked.

Some things are better for us on RCL, mostly they are more organized than NCL. From embarkation to disembarkation, dining, excursions and even the pool deck. I recently compared Anthem to Breakaway on another thread (need to search) but for us we liked Anthem much better. We will certainly cruise with NCL again but just not on Breakaway.

I would say, if the price and itinerary are right; try NCL Escape. It may be right for you.

Years ago daiB posted this on CC,

Originally Posted by daiB

Your cruise is like life you get out of it what you put in, If you go around with a smile on your face and treat people as you would like to be treated with a please and thank you then there is every chance you will have the time of your life. On the other hand if you blow up at the first setback and treat people like dirt, then you will get what you deserve and have a lousy time.

We have found this to be the case.:cool:

We have found the same to be true.

We go back and forth between lines did Escape a few months ago and doing anthem next year.

My kids will say its water slides or flow riders.

I think you will find more similarities than differences. You do need reservations for specialty dinning. Its easy to get into the shows without reservations but I recommend you make them.

There where more times on Escape that I felt crowded than I ever felt on Oasis or Allure. The pool deck on escape is horrible and I would avoid it on afternoon sea days. We stayed in the Haven but my DH and kids could not even find a place to lay their towels while they rode the water slides.

The specialties are wonderful on NCL but the MDR is not up to Royals level and options IMO.

I think if you go in to experience something different you will have a great time. If you go looking for flaws you will find them on any ship.

Primarily sailed Royal for several years, decided to branch out and test the waters this year and did NCL Escape and Carnival Vista.

Good post, Is Vista a newer Carnival ship? I don't know anything about them other than seeing the ones in port when I am there. I do believe Breeze is a newer ship? I almost booked an older Carnival ship because Olivia Newton John was doing a concert on their private island, but couldn't swing the date. For now, if anyone really wants me to try either NCL od CCL, buy me a cruise!

Good post, Is Vista a newer Carnival ship? I don't know anything about them other than seeing the ones in port when I am there. I do believe Breeze is a newer ship? I almost booked an older Carnival ship because Olivia Newton John was doing a concert on their private island, but couldn't swing the date. For now, if anyone really wants me to try either NCL od CCL, buy me a cruise!

Vista is their newest ship, from memory similar in size to the Freedom class. Breeze is newer I think but this was our first Carnival in a while.

Liked it enough that we booked it again for springbreak ;)