Port advice which is best?

greek princess

So we are hoping to do a western European cruise next summer that includes some ports in France. I usually like to pick my itinerary first and then decide on a ship. I'm finding most ships stop in different places in France. Any opinions on which is nicer, more to do see? Looking between Cannes, Nice and Marseilles. Thanks:)

So we are hoping to do a western European cruise next summer that includes some ports in France. I usually like to pick my itinerary first and then decide on a ship. I'm finding most ships stop in different places in France. Any opinions on which is nicer, more to do see? Looking between Cannes, Nice and Marseilles. Thanks:)

Very few cruises actually stop in Nice. You will probably see that your programs says Nice (Villefranche). Villefranche is a deeper port practically next to Nice. You can access all the same attractions from either Villefranche or Cannes since they are very near each other. Villefranche is closer to Monaco if that interests you.

Marseilles, although improved in recent years, is really a gateway to Provencal cities such as Avignon, Aix, Arles, les Baux, etc. Pick a cruise that has a really long day there.

So pick a cruise that includes both Marseille and either Cannes or Villefranche (Nice).

Very few cruises actually stop in Nice. You will probably see that your programs says Nice (Villefranche). Villefranche is a deeper port practically next to Nice. You can access all the same attractions from either Villefranche or Cannes since they are very near each other. Villefranche is closer to Monaco if that interests you.

Marseilles, although improved in recent years, is really a gateway to Provencal cities such as Avignon, Aix, Arles, les Baux, etc. Pick a cruise that has a really long day there.

So pick a cruise that includes both Marseille and either Cannes or Villefranche (Nice).

Thanks, I was looking at NCL Epic which only stops in Cannes, Or RCCL Freedom which stops in Marseilles from 9 to 6, and Villefranche from 7 to 7

Thanks, I was looking at NCL Epic which only stops in Cannes, Or RCCL Freedom which stops in Marseilles from 9 to 6, and Villefranche from 7 to 7

Perhaps it is helpful to think of that area of Southern France as 2 separate regions (this is not exactly true...but works for this comparison). For the French Riviera you have several different access ports including Monte Carlo, Villefranche and Cannes. These ports are all connected by a decent regional rail line (TER) which can move you along the coast in about an hour. From any of these ports you can access (besides the ports) places like Nice, St Paul de Vence, Eze, etc.

As to Marseille, it is a gateway port (along with Toulon) to parts of the very popular Provence region. So, for example, from Marseille it would be a good option to head North to places like Aix en Provence, Arles, Nimes, Avignon, Les Baux, etc. So having a cruise that stops (for full days) at both of these regions is very desirable for those that want to see two totally different parts of France.

When planning a Med cruise we also urge folks to try to find the time (and money) to spend several land-based days before or after (or both) your cruise. For example, when it comes to France...many folks want to visit Paris (DW's favorite city in the world). But doing it from a cruise is not a great option (it can be done from Le Havre...but involves a lot of travel)...and Paris is a city worthy of at least a several day visit. Even if you were taking a cruise out of another place such as Rome (Port of Civitavecchia) the excellent rail and air transportation system in Europe makes visiting Paris quite possible. So called "open jaw" airfares (from North America) also make it possible to fly into one country and home from another (such as flying in to Rome and home from Paris). The options for Europe are almost as unlimited as your imagination.

Hank