Juneau Tours - Glacier & whale watch combo

darin2

We will be in Juneau next year on the Carnival Legend. Our time in port is fairly short from 7-3 that day. I wanted to do both a whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour. Juneau Tours has an 0830 departure and says it lasts for 5 hrs. Some others I've seen are similar. I'm wondering if there's a way to cut some time off the tour. Does anyone know if they will drop you off at the glacier, and then you can take the bus back? Is this cutting too short, and maybe we should just do one of these tours?

I also thought of doing Harv and Marvs tour, and they say they try to get close for pictures of Mendenhall. That would probably suffice, but their excursion time is still over 4 hours.

The more time you are on the water, the more opportunity to find and watch whales so don't shortchange your whale watching tour. Keep in mind that you can always take a cab to Mendenhall and that might be your most efficient option if you're short on time.

The boat tours drive you from the cruise pier to Auke Bay to board their boat, about 12 miles. From Auke Bay you're only 5 or 6 miles from Mendenhall. Mendenhall back to the cruise ship is about 15 miles/ 30 minutes and $35 for a cab. Check the city map to get your bearings.

So I'd say .... find the whale watch tour you like best, then arrange for a cab to meet you at Auke Bay immediately after the tour. And about 1/2 hr before you're ready to leave Mendenhall call a cab to pick you up. (ideally you'll chose a company that will drop you at Mendenhall afterwards, but if not, you know you have another option)

Edited by mapleleaves

As stated, being on the water will be the best of the two choices. We did Harv and Marv a couple weeks ago. We saw 5 orcas UP CLOSE and humpbacks bubble feeding FOUR times. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Not everyone gets to see (and hear) this process. Amazing day. On the way back to the pier we stopped for maybe 10 min. in the parking lot for those that wanted to take a closer look at Mendenhall glacier.

This company has small boats for four people. If you go that route, you might be able to do more personalized timing. But really, I wouldn't cut the time on the water a minute for the glacier. You actually can see it in the distance while in the boat. Call a couple places and get their advice and offerings direct. The timing of your visit might change what is being offered.

Have fun and good luck.

You'll also see many whales just while on board as well.

Ummm....Well, if you are at the right place and the right time. Definitely not a sure thing. ;) We didn't see any from our ship on our route two weeks ago.

Edited by eandj

We will be in Juneau next year on the Carnival Legend. Our time in port is fairly short from 7-3 that day. I wanted to do both a whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour. Juneau Tours has an 0830 departure and says it lasts for 5 hrs. Some others I've seen are similar. I'm wondering if there's a way to cut some time off the tour. Does anyone know if they will drop you off at the glacier, and then you can take the bus back? Is this cutting too short, and maybe we should just do one of these tours?

I also thought of doing Harv and Marvs tour, and they say they try to get close for pictures of Mendenhall. That would probably suffice, but their excursion time is still over 4 hours.

Sorry- time- is your most important factor. It is a mistake to think of shortening it. IF you want both options, then you need to invest the time. Most tour combos have short time at Mendenhall anyway- so, probably no less time could be done with taking the shuttle bus. there have been mention of just stops at the Brotherhood Bridge. Minimal at best.

• 11 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here. Juneau Tours will do Mendenhall for an hour and have you on the water for about 3 hours for their afternoon tours. The rest of the 5 hour tour is the commuting time to and from the Pier drop off. If you do a morning tour you'll do the whales first and Mendenhall afterward, so if you want to stay longer you can find your own way back to the port from the glacier.