Ultimate Beverage Package

wishfulone

These questions have probably been asked a thousand times on here but I can't find an up to date thread so here goes.

We've booked our first NCL cruise and it includes a free Ultimate Drinks Package each. It's showing in the cruise personaliser as Adult Drink Package. The website seems to indicate one's alcohol, the other is not.

There's also discussion on here that even though the package is 'free' you still have the pay gratuities on every drink which are added to the onboard account as a lump sum.

The water packages don't indicate the size of the bottle. $AUS77 is a lot to pay for 18x600ml bottles so I'm hoping they're bigger than that!

Is there a link to current on board costs for beverages?

The ultimate drinks package and the adult drink package are the same thing. It's just NCL giving things different names. They use different names again in other places, but it's all the same thing.

Nobody with the package pays gratuities on every drink. What does happen in some places (the US being the main example) is that you pay the gratuities based on the purchase price of the package, even if you get it as a perk. Nothing is added to your onboard account, it is paid along with the final payment for the cruise.

As you are from Australia, I'm not sure what you will pay. If you booked through the Australian office then it will depend on the local rules, which I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm. The T&Cs should state it though.

The ultimate drinks package and the adult drink package are the same thing. It's just NCL giving things different names. They use different names again in other places, but it's all the same thing.

Nobody with the package pays gratuities on every drink. What does happen in some places (the US being the main example) is that you pay the gratuities based on the purchase price of the package, even if you get it as a perk. Nothing is added to your onboard account, it is paid along with the final payment for the cruise.

As you are from Australia, I'm not sure what you will pay. If you booked through the Australian office then it will depend on the local rules, which I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm. The T&Cs should state it though.

Thanks for the speedie reply. The gratuities and taxes are a bit higher on this cruise than normal so I guess we're just paying for what comes free :)

These questions have probably been asked a thousand times on here but I can't find an up to date thread so here goes.

We've booked our first NCL cruise and it includes a free Ultimate Drinks Package each. It's showing in the cruise personaliser as Adult Drink Package. The website seems to indicate one's alcohol, the other is not.

There's also discussion on here that even though the package is 'free' you still have the pay gratuities on every drink which are added to the onboard account as a lump sum.

The water packages don't indicate the size of the bottle. $AUS77 is a lot to pay for 18x600ml bottles so I'm hoping they're bigger than that!

Is there a link to current on board costs for beverages?

If you are over 21, then the Adult Drink Package is the Ultimate Drink Package and it includes alcohol.

The package is free, the gratuities are not free. You are charged the gratuities with your final payment, so no additional tips are expected.

Water Package:

For all ships except Pride of America

Item # Description Price Savings

WBP6 6-pack (1-liter bottles) $22.95 USD

WBP12 12-pack (1-liter bottles) $39.95 USD

WBP18 18-pack (1-liter bottles) $49.95 USD

WBP24 24-pack (1-liter bottles) $59.95 USD

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

Keith

I have the UBP but now I'm wondering if it will get me cranberry juice and soda or if it's only good for alcoholic beverages !! First time with NCL, so be kind.

Thank you,

Kristine

Keith

I have the UBP but now I'm wondering if it will get me cranberry juice and soda or if it's only good for alcoholic beverages !! First time with NCL, so be kind.

Thank you,

Kristine

It certainly includes soda. I don't know about cranberry juice though I'm afraid.

Keith

Thank you,

Kristine

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

IThe package is free, the gratuities are not free. You are charged the gratuities with your final payment, so no additional tips are expected.

You pay gratuities if you book in the US. Since the OP is not from the US, there is a good chance that they will not pay the gratuity.

And no additional gratuities are required onboard.

You pay gratuities if you book in the US. Since the OP is not from the US, there is a good chance that they will not pay the gratuity.
The promo terms for Australian bookings are the same as those in the US. In other words: "Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soft Drink Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite."

The promo terms for Australian bookings are the same as those in the US. In other words: "Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soft Drink Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite."

Although, from that link it then says:

"18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soft Drink Package are included when booking through the Australia office.".

Typically confusing NCL wording, but I read it as saying that it isn't payable by the customer.

Thanks everyone. NCL seem to want to keep us all guessing. I've sent my TA a please clarify request so will see what she comes up with. The water charges are really high but I guess that's a result of the current exchange rate. The Aussie dollar isn't doing too well against the greenback these days.

Thanks everyone. NCL seem to want to keep us all guessing. I've sent my TA a please clarify request so will see what she comes up with. The water charges are really high but I guess that's a result of the current exchange rate. The Aussie dollar isn't doing too well against the greenback these days.

As Hawkeyetise says, you should be able to tell by looking at your confirmation.

If the gratuities were payable they would be listed on the confirmation as they are payable with the final payment for the cruise.

The fact that you aren't sure about it suggests to me that they aren't listed, and that you are OK.

I opted for the Ultimate Beverage Package for 2, among other things, for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise and had to pay the beverage gratuities upfront which totaled $199. I was charged for this at time of booking.

Yes, that is certainly what happens in the US. Although it is usually added to final payment rather than payment being taken at booking. Is that what you meant, or did you pay this on top of the deposit?

The debate on this thread is about the rules in Australia, so this isn't really relevant to the OP, but I'm interested in your experience, as what you have written sounds different from normal, unless you were past final payment when booking.

Edited by KeithJenner

There's a pretty simple way to cut through the confusion on this one: If you have the package, you've paid for any gratuities/service charge necessary.

It's that simple. There is no way to get the package without paying for any service charge that's included.

You won't be asked to pay any extra later, although tossing a buck per drink to the waitstaff can help ensure exceptional service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is certainly what happens in the US. Although it is usually added to final payment rather than payment being taken at booking. Is that what you meant, or did you pay this on top of the deposit?

The debate on this thread is about the rules in Australia, so this isn't really relevant to the OP, but I'm interested in your experience, as what you have written sounds different from normal, unless you were past final payment when booking.

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought the initial discussion was about gratuities, drink inclusion and water prices regarding the Ultimate Bev Pkg which then evolved into Aussie rules. I just wanted to let others know the gratuities which I was charged when I opted for this "free" package.

I chose the wrong word when I said "time of booking" - it was actually during a cabin change. The cruise was already paid for and I had called NCL to request a cabin change. When I did, the "pick 2" promotion was going on, which was then offered to me. When I chose this promo I was charged the beverage gratuities upfront, which was about $99 pp. I actually hesitated but remembered on my last cruise I racked up about $100+ on drinks. I like my cocktails and mixed drinks during shows, and a glass of wine for dinner. I figured I'd get my money's worth ...hopefully :D

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought the initial discussion was about gratuities, drink inclusion and water prices regarding the Ultimate Bev Pkg which then evolved into Aussie rules. I just wanted to let others know the gratuities which I was charged when I opted for this "free" package.

I chose the wrong word when I said "time of booking" - it was actually during a cabin change. The cruise was already paid for and I had called NCL to request a cabin change. When I did, the "pick 2" promotion was going on, which was then offered to me. When I chose this promo I was charged the beverage gratuities upfront, which was about $99 pp. I actually hesitated but remembered on my last cruise I racked up about $100+ on drinks. I like my cocktails and mixed drinks during shows, and a glass of wine for dinner. I figured I'd get my money's worth ...hopefully :D

Thanks, yes that sounds right. I assumed it was something like that.

It's certainly not difficult to get through $100 each of drinks during the week.

I've been reading posts on the NCL board this week after reading a persuasive post on the Royal Caribbean board about trying this cruise line. I realize this may be a "dumb" question that would be answered in other threads as I keep reading, but I'll ask here anyway:

1) If you have a booking for 2 people, do both people have to pick the same free perk?

2) If the answer to that is yes, then what happens if one of the people is an adult and one is a child? Does the child get a different beverage package, or can they just order non-alcoholic versions of drinks, or get sodas instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1) If you have a booking for 2 people, do both people have to pick the same free perk?

Yes.

2) If the answer to that is yes, then what happens if one of the people is an adult and one is a child? Does the child get a different beverage package, or can they just order non-alcoholic versions of drinks, or get sodas instead?

You guessed it: Under-21s get the soda package instead, which only includes free fountain sodas (no virgin drinks or mocktails).

Read the promo terms & conditions for more details about the current offer:

Free At Sea

I've been reading posts on the NCL board this week after reading a persuasive post on the Royal Caribbean board about trying this cruise line. I realize this may be a "dumb" question that would be answered in other threads as I keep reading, but I'll ask here anyway:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The offers are per cabin, so you have to have the same thing.

If one of the first two passengers is a child they get the soda package instead.