Suggestions for pre & post cruise arrangements

LynnB

Hi.. We are a group of 6 (4 adults & 2 9 year olds) sailing on NCL Getaway 11/6/16. I gave up trying to find decent airfare from NYC or PHL area to MIA and wound up booking PHL to FLL arriving the morning before our cruise and leaving the morning after.

We have always stayed at Intercontinental Miami pre cruise but that is sold out due to a convention. Right now we have the Holiday Inn POM booked for the night before and are leaning toward booking it again for the night after cruise. Jiffy Jeffy quoted $90.00 for transportation from FLL to hotel and $100.00 for hotel back to FLL.

I've always just flown into MIA so flying into FLL has me nervous. Not so much for the flight there but the return trip. Would it make more sense to take a shuttle from POM to a FLL area hotel after the cruise? I worry about Monday morning traffic from Miami to FLL.

Thanks

Hi.. We are a group of 6 (4 adults & 2 9 year olds) sailing on NCL Getaway 11/6/16. I gave up trying to find decent airfare from NYC or PHL area to MIA and wound up booking PHL to FLL arriving the morning before our cruise and leaving the morning after.

We have always stayed at Intercontinental Miami pre cruise but that is sold out due to a convention. Right now we have the Holiday Inn POM booked for the night before and are leaning toward booking it again for the night after cruise. Jiffy Jeffy quoted $90.00 for transportation from FLL to hotel and $100.00 for hotel back to FLL.

I've always just flown into MIA so flying into FLL has me nervous. Not so much for the flight there but the return trip. Would it make more sense to take a shuttle from POM to a FLL area hotel after the cruise? I worry about Monday morning traffic from Miami to FLL.

Thanks

That Holiday Inn is a bit of a dump. Did you look at the Hampton Inn Brickell? Much, much nicer and great location.

Afterwards I would book a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Take a look at:

Riverside Hotel

Best Western Oceanside

Bahia Mar

Lago Mar

Hilton FLL Beach

Also, I would Uber to and from Miami. It will be half the cost of your quotes.

Forget what I said about Uber because I just noticed you are six people.

Edited by BlueHerons

Pick up a rental minivan at FLL and enjoy your day in FLL - Home of a world famous beach! It's yet another port/beach on your cruise itinerary, so you should take full advantage of it. Even if your hotel room is not ready, you will have immediate luggage storage and can start your own port excursion with plenty to do.

There's our world famous beach that will get you in a sun, sand and surf frame of mind. My favorite part of the beach is Lauderdale by the Sea with a pier, beachfront dining, dozens of restaurants and Ma & Pa shops all within a short walking distance. I would see if the 2 BR/2 1/2 BA Beach House at High Noon Resort is available for your date. You could have a beachfront barbeque on the patio during the day and out to beachfront dining and music that night.

http://www.highnoonresort.com/accommodations/beach-house/

Another choice would be the Water Taxi (both Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood) that you can hop on and hop off all day long and into the night. You can travel by water from the Galleria Mall up north, down to Las Olas in Downtown Ft Lauderdale, to the beach in the middle or even all the way down south to the Hollywood Broadwalk and Margaritaville if you transfer to the Hollywood Water Taxi underneath the 17th Street Causeway (next to the Hilton Marina). The Hollywood Water Taxi will cruise through Port Everglades and on down the River to "Five O'Clock Somewhere" across from Margarittaville.

https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/the-resort/drinks-dining/5-oclock-somewhere-bar-grill/

The next morning load up the van, drop the family and luggage off at Port Miami and then the "men folk" can return the van to MIA and take the shuttle back to the port. There are other car rental agencies that you can drop the van Downtown and then get a shuttle or a taxi back to Port Miami. People here can tell you which agencies they are and where they are located.