Availability and cost of taxi from Hilo to Hapuna Beach

Looby Lou Strong

We are visiting Big Island on our Hawaiian cruise on the Star Princess. We dock in Hilo.

We want to visit Hapuna Beach. I know it is on the other side of the island and will be about a 1.5 hour journey each way. I don't drive abroad, so rental car will be no good.

How available are the taxis when you get off the ship in Hilo. I know going by taxi is going to be expensive - does anybody have an idea of how much it might cost?

I am not familiar with all of the Hawaiian cruises, however...does your cruise not stop in Kona? Hapuna has always been one of my favorite beaches. I visit the island of Hawaii a couple times a year, but would not drive for a day from Hilo to Kona side for Hapuna beach. Unfortunately it is not easy, without your own car. I will not even try to estimate a taxi both ways. Possibly kapoho2 can give you a rough idea. Cherie

From Hilo to Hapuna Beach is a good two hr drive each way. I know you said you don't drive when abroad but it would be far less expensive to rent a car for the day than to take a cab, even if you could find one for that ride.

Hapuna Beach is fine but there are a lot of great beaches you could visit throughout the Islands that would be as good or better and much easier to get to.

Princess will visit Nahwiliwili on Kauai and there is a very nice beach within a 10 minute walk. When you visit Maui you will tender ashore at Lahaina and from there you can easily get to the beach at K'anapali. Just something to think about.

I wouldn't even want to think about what the cost would be. Last time I checked (maybe 8 years ago), a taxi from my house to the Hilo airport (about 25+ miles and 35-40 minutes) would have been at least $70. And, that was just a guesstimate. There are plenty of other beautiful beaches in the Hawaiian islands besides Hapuna. Definitely not worth the $$$$$$.