Help pick cruise for 21 year old and friend

kathy884

My son who is 21 asked if I'd help him and a friend pick out a Caribbean cruise for next April (He knows I love vacation planning and he and I have worked together to plan many of our family vacations). Anyway, I thought I'd get opinions from all you very experienced cruises out there. He'd be looking at something in the April 1st, 2nd, or 3rd timeframe for a departure for about a week or shorter if necessary for budget purposes. He doesn't want to do a Carnival Conquest class ship, as he has only done four cruises in his life an all were on that type of ship (not that he didn't love those, but more that he would like to change things up). He doesn't have a huge preference on ports of call. Again he's covered a lot of them already. He's a big balcony person, so would be interested in that and that costs more, so has a bearing on options due to his budget, meaning a good value line like Carnival would be one of his better choices if he wants to do seven days I'm thinking. If he wants to do Disney or RCCL with balcony, he will need to do a shorter cruise. Also, he really likes going to the main dining room for dinner each night, making me think NCL with the freestyle dining would not be a good choice. Is that a correct assumption? In addition he is not a big drinker, doesn't gamble or want to gamble and would prefer a ship that is not a big booze cruise, making me think a longer not shorter cruise on Carnival -- six or seven night vs. three or four would be a better choice. He would love a steel drum band (so it's kind of sad that Carnival doesn't have that any more -- great choices on cuts by the line for keeping prices down, but that's probably the one thing he wishes they hadn't cut.) He is well aware that there are trade offs in whatever he picks and is used to working within a vacation budget and making compromises. Also, he is NOT a foodie and is one who might even some nights order off of a kids menu. Although getting a great filet one night or some wonderful fettuccini alfredo always works. He's not into gourmet stuff, sauces, ethnic food, and for the most part eats pretty plain stuff. Based on what my dad has told me about Holland American, I'm thinking that based on DS food preferences, maybe we should throw that one out? Do you agree? I know he wouldn't starve on Carnival or other lines that do a lot of catering to kids. Also, his friend is not a big planner and is really leaving the planning to him. I posted this on the Carnival forum, as I am seeing quite a few Carnival choice that might work, and I know many regular Carnival cruises just plain love cruising -- may cruise Carnival most, but enjoy other lines too and can speak to and recommend other line options also.

Budget wise we are looking at balcony prices in the $1000 price range or less for double occupancy per person: Here are the six top choices in the running: Any thoughts on these and/or are there other cruise option you think would be worth consideration? I appreciate any and all opinions.

(1) Carnival Magic -- solid seven night option Part Canaveral to Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, and Costa Maya (port with except for Cozumel he hasn't been to). Could also stay overnight with cousin in Orlando before and after cruise saving money on hotel and would probably use saving to hit a theme park.

(2) Carnival Breeze -- seven night option from Galveston that looks very similar in terms of ship and itinerary as the Magic with stops in Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel

(3) Carnival Splendor from Miami to some of the same as above -- Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan plus Grand Cayman (place we have been many times before, but that we like)

(4) Carnival Vista -- Six night Miami to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel (I'm not a big fan of Ocho Rios as a cruise stop), DS is intrigued by this being a new ship in the fleet.

(5) RCCL Independence of the Seas (Freedom class ship) -- five night out of Fort Lauderdale to Labadee and Falmouth. I think DS would really get a kick out of their atrium area. I've heard their ship layouts are really stunning. He'd be sacrificing days, though, for this. He's probably get his steel drum band and better entertainment than Carnival.

(6) Disney Wonder out of Port Canaveral -- Only four nights and goes to Private Island (Castaway Cay) and Bahamas (Nassau) not Caribbean as due to expense would have to sacrifice length and where ship goes. I'm not overly keen on Nassau. DS is also not sure his friend would be keen on Disney. DS, though, has always wanted to do a Disney cruise, but mom and dad were never willing to pay the price (didn't see it as a good value and given that we don't like to cruise without a balcony seven night options never worked with the family vacation budget.)

If I had a choice, considering you have included bot Florida and Texas ports, I would be looking at something in the Eastern Caribbean. I just prefer San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and those offered from the Florida ports. We have done several of both and we are heading to the Western side in January, but Eastern is our favorite.

From your post, it really looks like you have done a lot of research and probably have your answer already figured out! As far as food, I can't imagine Carnival, RCL, or NCL would not have food that would meet your son's pleasure. I also don't think you will find Carnival to be a 'booze cruise", especially when you talk about cruising at times other than spring break and for longer than 3-4 days. It doesn't matter what cruise line a 21 year old would be interested in, there will be folks enjoying adult beverages and, yes, there may be an occasional passenger get "over served". But we have never had a cruise ruined by alcohol served on board. :cool:

I hope you and your son get this all figured out and he has a great cruise! :D

Some cruise lines require that both passengers are over 21 if traveling without a parent. Only exception is they are married to each other.

Here is a copy from the Carnival Cruise Contract

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Adult guests agree to be responsible at all times for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Here is the link

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

Edited by Kamloops50

I'm not a big fan of the western itineraries because I no longer engage in water sports. For a young person the beaches at Cozumel are far a away some of the best we have been to. The scuba and snorkeling is great there as well. I would do the Vista because it is the new ship on the block (or pier) and has some really nice features.It is out of Miami and does longer then 5 day cruises. Your right about the short cruises they are the long week end crows and there tends to be a lot of drinking on them. The Magic would be my next pick out of Port Canaveral. What ever he picks we all hope he and friend have a fabulous cruise.

Thanks everyone. His friend is 22 and will be 23 at the time of the cruise, so both are over 21. They studied abroad together in Italy in college and did an extension staying in a youth hostel in London (just the two of them), so know that they are pretty good traveling companions.

I showed DS your responses and he's been doing more looking too and is leaning toward the Vista. It does look like a fabulous ship.

Thanks everyone. His friend is 22 and will be 23 at the time of the cruise, so both are over 21. They studied abroad together in Italy in college and did an extension staying in a youth hostel in London (just the two of them), so know that they are pretty good traveling companions.

I showed DS your responses and he's been doing more looking too and is leaning toward the Vista. It does look like a fabulous ship.

Reread some of the posts.

I shared a link to the Carnival requirements. The magic age is 25 years not 21 .

Re posting the link. Read Clause 2F

Edited by Kamloops50

Reread some of the posts.

I shared a link to the Carnival requirements. The magic age is 25 years not 21 .

Re posting the link. Read Clause 2F

What you're missing is that both guests are over the age of 21, so the information you are giving doesn't apply to them. The cruise contract states boarding may be denied for anyone UNDER the age of 21 unless certain criteria are met. Both of these guests are OVER 21, so that doesn't apply to them.

What you're missing is that both guests are over the age of 21, so the information you are giving doesn't apply to them. The cruise contract states boarding may be denied for anyone UNDER the age of 21 unless certain criteria are met. Both of these guests are OVER 21, so that doesn't apply to them.

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Adult guests agree to be responsible at all times for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Read the red bolder part . That is directly from the Carnival Ticket Contract that everyone has to agree to.

Read the red bolder part . That is directly from the Carnival Ticket Contract that everyone has to agree to.

I'm confused...they are both over 21 unless I am reading something wrong.

Bigman, what are you missing? someone in the cabin must be 25

You are incorrect. Both boys will be over 21 on the cruise. Reading comprehension! The policy clearly states they will deny boarding to any guest under the age of 21. Neither will be under 21 at sailing.

Also, my son sailed with a friend a couple of years ago on Carnival. They were both 22. No other adults needed.

The 25yo rule comes into play if, for instance, there was a 21yo and a 20yo (unless married) wanting to book a cabin.

There is no issue with all parties in a cabin being over 21.

As the bolded RED print says, UNDER the age of 21.

nobody is under 21 :confused:

Bill

Bigman, what are you missing? someone in the cabin must be 25

I'm not missing anything. Let's try to make it simple for those who can't understand. Let's eliminate everything after this part of the contract:

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (deleted the rest since it's confusing you)

The key here is the part that says "under the age of twenty-one". BOTH guests are over 21. There is no one in the cabin UNDER 21, therefore, this part of the contract doesn't apply to this cabin.

Did that fill in your missing pieces?

Edited by bigman01

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: **DELETED THE REST**

Yes, that is what the contract says. Now, since both guests are OVER the age of 21, can you tell me how this applies to this cabin?

Follow cruzndeb's clarification. OP is fine. The 2 passengers are old enough. LOL the comprehension challenge I do get..but we are all hilarious reading down the list.

I really vote for the Vista...lots of options, new ship, I also prefer Eastern but OP knows if he would like those ports for the ocean activities etc.

I think the guys will really like the not extra charge different dining choices as well as splurging at a for fee restaurant. Vista has it all...and more entertainment too in the Red Frog Pub and other venues. Comedy, Karaoke, outdoor movies, etc. etc. This ship will have best of the staff too making it a "fun" experience and he knows Carnival so it will be comfortable but a NEW and many more places on the ship experience. Folks rave about the ship.

PS..Also it has more fun outside rides etc.

Edited by sjn911

I would pick Independence OTS and show him a video of the Dragon's Breath zip line in Labadee. Freedom class ships are gorgeous.

Second choice would be Vista. We're doing that exact cruise in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jenhem31

I have been on Magic several times - she's a great ship and I think they'd definitely love her. Don't know if he'll still be there in April, but Magic currently has one of the best Cruise Directors I've ever sailed with - Dr. E. He's great.

Going on the Breeze in a few weeks for the first time, and I fully expect to like her as much or more than I do the Magic. I think they'd also love Breeze.

Vista would be great also since she's the new kid on the block. However, prices for Vista cruises are at a premium right now, and I would expect that to continue for a while.

Haven't been on the Splendor, but she's a slightly older ship, whereas Vista, Breeze and Magic are newer and bigger ships.

I've never been on RCCL or Disney, so I can't help you much with those. But if it were me, I'd pick either Breeze or Magic (I'd pick Vista except it's only 6 nights).

Hope that helps!

I would definitely add NCL back onto the list. The larger ships sailing out of Miami are great for that age group. The entertainment and nightlife are great, food in all the venues is quality. If it were me I would probably be choosing between Carnival Vista and NCL Escape.

Are they at all concerned with meeting and hanging out with people their own age? That could impact my vote.

I would definitely add NCL back onto the list. The larger ships sailing out of Miami are great for that age group. The entertainment and nightlife are great, food in all the venues is quality. If it were me I would probably be choosing between Carnival Vista and NCL Escape.

I was trying to find out why NCL was taken off the list earlier but got no response.

OP just said because it was freestyle but every ship has a form of that now.

We were on the Getaway in February and had a great cruise.

Bill

Thanks everyone for all the responses. // DS and his friend enjoy socializing with other people and meeting with other people, but aren't overly concerned about this on a cruise or vacation. // I think chilling out, taking a break from work and regular routine, and enjoying some ocean breezes with other fun activity built in are the main appeal for DS at least.

I originally didn't have NCL on the table because DS has always enjoyed dressing up for dinner on cruises and the routine of eating in the main dining room at the same time each night. It sounds like with the freestyle dining concept on NCL all that is eliminated, not part of the cruise experience?? Maybe that's true with Carnival these days too on the newer ships?? Truth be told, I really don't know how NCL operates these days?? DH and I did one of their cruises once back in the early 90s before DS was even born and liked it a lot, but it was the traditional dining concept back then.

Thanks too to all the posters who commented about considering NCL and putting them back on the table too. That's very encouraging to me, especially with these two new developments. (1) DS said he love it if DH and I would go on the cruise too and would love his grandparents (my parents) who do quite a bit of cruising too to go also. // (2) I mentioned this to DH (didn't think either of us would be keen to go - already had some other travel tentatively planned for next year), but DH said What about NCL? DH it turns out has a freebie offer for a basic balcony double occupancy for any of their cruises - just the retail cruise part, not taxes, tips, excursions, etc. but that's a pretty decent incentive (discount) that we could share with the guys. (We'd take the freebie and share the wealth by paying for some of the guy's cruise). And for our travel next year, a summer Colorado trip is still on the plate (DS is coming on that too.), but DH and I decided that neither or us is really all that keen on big trip number 2, a fall new England organized tour we were thinking about. We are thinking we could use the monies and vacation time allocated for that for a cruise instead. DS is good at talking us into things, and he is really a lot of fun to travel with. lol :)

The only real dining difference with NCL is being able to dine whenever you like. You can also make reservations for the main dining room if you prefer to eat at a specific time. As far as dressing for dinner NCL is very similar to Carnival, with the exception of having one dining room which is more upscale requiring more

Business casual than casual dress. The entertainment on the bigger ships is fantastic as well.

Get on one of the new NCL ships. We are looking at cruising on one of them next year. They look to have a lot of interesting features and outlets.

If you all decide not to go, given everything you said, he should book the longest cruise he can, with a balcony cabin, for less than $1000.

He doesn't really have departure port, ports visited, or ship preferences. So it is balcony days / length of stay. Given that criteria, it will lean towards NCL and Carnival I have a feeling.