excursions---pay now or later?

LEO supporter

There are exceptions, but ships' excursion rates are generally the same whether you buy ahead or on the ship.

But they are usually seriously over-priced :eek: - they rely on their mantra "if your ship's excursion returns late the ship won't sail without you" or broadly words to that effect. That's true. but only in relatively few cases (long distances, short timescale, no Plan B available, etc) need that be a concern to anyone with their head screwed on.

You don't quote your ports or the sort of excursions that would interest you, but I'll hazard a guess that it's the Caribbean or thereabouts.

And the Caribbean is the easiest place in the world to DIY. :cool:

In most ports you'll find taxis & vans lined up, you negotiate where you want to go, the approx. timescale and the cost (USD) before you board the vehicle. For a tour you pay when you get back to the ship or some agreed drop-off point such as town, market or beach (so take your beach gear with you).

Drivers at the port are licensed, trustworthy & friendly. They know their island & they know the importance of "back on board" time, they can replicate ships' tours but much better & cheaper (but their price is for transport only - no food, drinks, admission tickets included), or they may suggest alternatives.

Be much more wary of offers from folk away from the port, they may not even be licensed or insured.

Or you can pre-book with a local vendor over the internet, or use your ship's RollCall to get together with like-minded fellow-cruisers to share an independent tour. (if you don't know abour RollCalls, post your ship & sailing date, & some kind soul will link you to it)

To repeat, this is general advice. For more specific info we need details of your cruise & your party.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

While rare, there also may be certain tours that are by contract restricted to cruise ship bookings only when participating ships are in that port of call. If you have a specific tour in a specific port of call you are interested in I would google it to be sure it has an open booking policy the day you will be in port.

As example, although it was a number of years ago, this was the case with the dolphin encounter in Curacao and RCI.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The exception to Jhn Bulls comments is Europe. Those excursions must be booked in advance. There are rarely vendors at port. But, Im not even sure Carnival goes to Europe....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep, they do these days.

And yes, your point is valid - hence the need to know the ports. For European ports we tend to use public transport - trains, ferries, buses, etc. Not as scary as some folk think. ;)

While rare, there also may be certain tours that are by contract restricted to cruise ship bookings only when participating ships are in that port of call. If you have a specific tour in a specific port of call you are interested in I would google it to be sure it has an open booking policy the day you will be in port.

As example, although it was a number of years ago, this was the case with the dolphin encounter in Curacao and RCI.

Another example is the sugar train on St Kitts - when ships are in, they block-book the whole train ........... no hobos allowed. :D

Again, hence the need for the OP to post their ports.

JB :)

The exception to Jhn Bulls comments is Europe. Those excursions must be booked in advance. There are rarely vendors at port. But, Im not even sure Carnival goes to Europe....

Carnival has European itins a few months after they launch a new ship.

Generally, if the tour of is a one-off the cruiseline will charter the whole shebang. ie The Pirate Ship in Cabo.

Generally, if the tour of is a one-off the cruiseline will charter the whole shebang. ie The Pirate Ship in Cabo.

In the case of the dolphin encounter that wasn't necessary as the only way to book it on that day was in advance through the ship. And as with most excursions, the booking totals are limited so they only had a certain number of openings. As that was a popular activity and the ship sponsored the only way to book it, there was no problem filling it - even at the higher ship rates.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'll echo what many people say here. I haven't been on any ship's tours since a summer '09 tour to El Yunque rainforest with airport drop off. I find local operators with good reviews on CC or TripAdvisor and book them direct. Rarely do I have to pay anything up front. One tour I did pay a $5 pp deposit, but it's for an operator that I've used before and had a great time. As the others, with specific ports I could recommend tour guides in various places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We book through an online vendor or just wait till we get into port to see what is available. The cruise line prices are always higher. Of course there are exceptions but overall it's benefitted us to book 3rd party and after 5 cruises we have never been burned.

Was told carnival jacks up rates on off shore excursions. Can i buy tickets when i get into port from local vendors or do i have to go thru cruise line?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Seems your question is if you have to book your shore excursions with Carnival or if you can book from local vendors.

Answer: You certainly may book from local vendors if you wish.

My dad took a non- ship sponsored excursion while visiting St Maarten. The truck broke down on the other side of the island. They made it back JUST in time. It's at your own risk.

You're absolutely right. You need to do your research and make sure you are totally comfortable before booking. Cruise Critic reviews are very helpful in deciding and joining a roll call and making a group for tours can make it more fun.

The other thing to remember is that keep your tours down to 1/2 day length. That usually assures arrival back on the ship in advance of sailing.

It depends on the port. If it familiar we look on line to see if there is something new and different. If not, we tend to go with one of Carnival's tours. If it is an American port, we always find something on line, and it is always cheaper than Carnival e.g. Key West - we paid $20 each for a city tour. We were on the same trolley as others from the ship that paid $35 each.