Recommended Areas to Stay in Rome

lifeasme123

I narrowed down the apartments to three. The requirements were washer and elevator. Any feedback on the the location for these would be great and appreciated! The info in the parenthesis are the landmarks I found on google map.

1. Vicolo Sugarelli and Via del Bianchi Vecchi (one block from Palazzo Sacchetti)

2. Via Giovanni Giraud and Via del Bianci Nuovi (next to Piazza dell Orologio)

3. Via dei Coronari and Vicolo de Montevecchio (next to Piazza Montevecchio)

I realize everything is in walking distance, but that is all relative. Looking for an area we aren't backtracking a lot (if possible). We will be there 5 days/6 nights in Rome. We would like to spend it as follow:

2 days at the Vatican

1 day (need to get to Termini Station for a day trip)

1 day Coloseum (night tour) and Pantheon, Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain

Navona & Campo del Fiori - exploring through multiple days

and may Travestere

We're doing many of the same things (minus needing to get to Termini), and we chose an apartment on Via dei Cappellari in Campo de' Fiori -- very close to your number 1 and number 2. I would probably choose one of those and plan on a taxi to get to and from the train station. I based my decision on Google Maps, but I also had help from a good friend who has spent months in Rome (his sister lives in Italy).

Quick question some good info here.

Piazza Navona is this near Spanish steps and pantheon?

I think I was there last summer.... Very large square.... Had many artist selling their paintings in the square. I have regretted not buying one since then. We will be on the Majestic Princess on April.

Are the artist out year round or is this a summer thing?

I was going to stay near the port for the one night .... But if I can go back

To buy a painting that would be awesome!

Thanks

Kerri

The link here will take you to a map that shows the area covered by the 48 euro flat fee. It's basically considered the area inside the old Aurelian walls of the city.

http://www.eyesofrome.com/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSI1MjAxMi8wOC8xMi8xOF8wOV8wNF8xNjhfbWFwcGFfTXVyYV9BdXJlbGlhbmUuanBnBjoGRUZbBzoGZToIanBn.jpg

The area where Hotel Canada is located looks as if it is JUST inside the covered area. I hope you don't get an argument from the taxi driver. You may want to bring a blown up copy of the map with you and make sure you both agree before getting in the car.

Like many other cities, the area around Rome's main railroad station isn't the prettiest. But I wouldn't say it is "questionable". As a woman traveling alone, I do not feel unsafe walking around the area at night, although I would probably stick to the main, well-lighted streets. I will stay near Termini very occasionally -- like when I am only passing through Rome enroute to somewhere else and am traveling by train. It's definitely not my favorite area as it's somewhat charmless. But I don't think it's unsafe.

Does the flat fee of 48 euros hold for taxis from the center hotel to FCO? We will be staying at the Maison Evelina near the Spanish Steps. We've stayed near the Spanish Steps before and loved it. Is there a flat fee to and from the Civitavecchia port?

Does the flat fee of 48 euros hold for taxis from the center hotel to FCO? We will be staying at the Maison Evelina near the Spanish Steps. We've stayed near the Spanish Steps before and loved it. Is there a flat fee to and from the Civitavecchia port?

Yes, the fee of 48 euros is good both ways between FCO and the included area in Rome.

I don't think there's a fixed fee between Rome and Civitavecchia. I have read that when travelling from FCO airport to Civitavecchia, an official Rome taxi should have a fixed price of €120.

Yes, the fee of 48 euros is good both ways between FCO and the included area in Rome.

I don't think there's a fixed fee between Rome and Civitavecchia. I have read that when travelling from FCO airport to Civitavecchia, an official Rome taxi should have a fixed price of €120.

Those prices sound about right based on what I'm paying Rome Cabs for my pre-arranged transfers. The fee for FCO to my apartment in Campo de' Fiori is €50, and the transfer from the apartment to the port in Civitavecchia is €130. Rome Cabs' prices were €10-€30 less than some of their competitors, and I thought it was well worth the cost to be able to arrange transportation in advance.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have stayed near Piazza Navona, Castello S Angelo, between Termina and the Col., and in the Vatican area across the tracks from S. Pietro train station. All them were fine but we would pass on the last one if/when we go back. The other areas were all fine with us. Each has their pluses and minuses. For us it often comes down to where we will get the best value.

Also stayed at the Sheraton Roma on a business trip. This one sometimes pops up on the cruise line hotel list. Avoid it...too far from the tourist sites.

Edited by iancal

Those prices sound about right based on what I'm paying Rome Cabs for my pre-arranged transfers. The fee for FCO to my apartment in Campo de' Fiori is €50, and the transfer from the apartment to the port in Civitavecchia is €130. Rome Cabs' prices were €10-€30 less than some of their competitors, and I thought it was well worth the cost to be able to arrange transportation in advance.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They "sound about right"? They are the posted official fares, so they should "sound about right". :rolleyes: Perhaps you meant to say that the prices you found sound about right based on the official posted fares? :D

Edited by cruisemom42

They "sound about right"? They are the posted official fares, so they should "sound about right". :rolleyes: Perhaps you meant to say that the prices you found sound about right based on the official posted fares? :D

Sorry if my post offended you.☹️ I wanted to share another option that can be booked in advance. I guess I shouldn't have tried to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if my post offended you.☹️ I wanted to share another option that can be booked in advance. I guess I shouldn't have tried to help.

Sorry, I think you took my post the wrong way. It was just amusing -- you wrote it as if YOU were validating the official fares rather than the other way around. Didn't mean anything deeper.

Sorry, I think you took my post the wrong way. It was just amusing -- you wrote it as if YOU were validating the official fares rather than the other way around. Didn't mean anything deeper.

Thanks…I appreciate you clearing that up. Actually, I was trying to say I thought Rome Cabs' fares were comparable to the official taxi fares, but it didn't come out that way![emoji28]