Freedom or Rhapsody for mobility issues?

queenfinch

Hi all!

I'm looking into booking a Mediterranean cruise next spring with my husband and in-laws. They are first time cruisers, and I want to make sure they have the best experience possible. My mother-in-law has some mobility issues following extensive spinal surgery. Most of the time she's fine, but she tires quickly and can't handle too many stairs.

Right now, we're looking at the Rhapsody or Freedom based on the itineraries, but I was wondering if anyone had a thought as far as mobility went? She'll probably bring a walker or cane, just in case, but it's been a long time since I cruised, and I'm having trouble remembering how the layout of the ships and elevators could effect her.

Thanks!

Well, Freedom is MUCH larger than Rhapsody...so there will be more walking involved. I would attempt to book their cabin near the mid-ship elevators...that will make getting around easier, no matter which ship you choose. The stairs/elevators are in foyers, so you don't have to worry about "elevator dinging"!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just on a Mediterranean cruise on the Rhapsody, and we saw a few people on the ship with mobility issues. I saw both, walkers and a wheelchair. The ship is quite small, so I think that would be helpful. It's also what we considered an older person's ship, which was nice. By that, I mean that there aren't as many family oriented features (water slides, mini golf, skating rink, etc), so we saw very few children, and we never saw any running around, which can be intimidating to people not as sure on their feet.