Observations from a first time P&O cruiser

where-to-next

We recently cruised on Arcadia (Iceland and Scottish Islands) and although not new to cruising this was our first with P&O.

The cruise was wonderful, what a fascinating itinerary! We had a rear facing balcony cabin (A164), one of the largest that we have experienced, as was the large bathroom, complete with bath. Not to mention the huge balcony.

On the downside, we were disappointed that we couldn't have a dressing gown or slippers - for suites only, apparently. Also no carry bag - we paraded around with a "Princess" bag! Not to mention no ice cream in the buffet - really! Which brings me to food. Further penny pinching, P&O serves only 3 course dinners, rather than 4. Although on freedom dining, meals were rushed by staff. The menu was unimaginative and repetitive. For the most part stodge! ie lamb, soggy veg and bread and butter pudding.

Embarkation was flawless. Disembarkation was chaotic, half the lifts were taken out of service - why?

We did meet some wonderful people and loved the kettle in the cabin, it was also nice to have a laundry.

We are returning to p&o for the first time in three years in a few months. Like you I've probably got used to the free ice cream (and other extras) on Princess and Cunard.

Cunard starting listing their menus as three courses a while back the same as p&o but I find if you just order it as 4 courses that's how it arrives. I'll going to try it out and report back!

I must remember to take my Princess tote bag with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I point out that you can have at least 5 courses, if you want.

Starter

Soup

Main

Dessert

Cheese

Coffee

Petit fours

Oops that's 7

All of the above are still available. Although why you would want them all I am not sure.

I always have starter and soup but usually stop after the main.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

I would love ice-cream in the buffet too. Mind you, the machines were out of order for most of our recent crossing on QM2 :D.

Agree with Dai that you can order as many courses as you want and my OH usually orders 4 plus coffee and petits fours. However I have put on my feedback form several times that the layout of the menu makes you think you can only have 3.

P&O serves only 3 course dinners, rather than 4.
P&O are not the only line to 'suggest' by the layout of the dinner menus that only a 3 course dinner is available. RCI did this 'trick' years ago. Back 12 years and their menus suggested at least a 4 course dinner, but then it changed to a 3 course layout.

However, as has been mentioned there has never been a problem to order a starter (or 2) a salad, a main, dessert, coffee, cheese on any line I've sailed, and that includes my limited experience on P&O, Celebrity, Carnival and NCL. Of course by presenting what appears a 3 course menu the cruise lines hope that guests will order less, but in reality it doesn't stop you having a 5 course dinner, if you can eat all that!

Edited by peteukmcr