What exactly is Island Night?

Katiekakes

It is held on each ship...they have an outdoor "island themed" party around the pool...palm fronds, music, etc. Wear a tropical shirt or something like that. Special food brought out on deck....carved fruits and so on. A fun time after dinner.

Island Night is dancing, singing, clapping, laughing, hula-hoop contests, lip-syncing contests, listening to music and other entertainers and so on. Here's a sample of Island Night held on the Terrace Pool on the Caribbean Princess a couple years ago when Graham Seymour was CD. This will take a fairly fast Internet connection - Island Night

On Caribbean ships the theme deck party is Island Night. On Mexican Riviera its Mexican Fiesta night, I don't remember what Alaska is (Eskimo Blanket Throw Night?).

The actual antics are selected by the Cruise Director, but typically consists of a contest (Mr Sun Princess, Grab a Man), some group dances (electric slide, macarana, YMCA, elivira), a streamer throw, a conga line and a special buffet. For Island Night a fruit/tropical themed buffet.

Dress is formal island wear (Hawaiin Style shirts), but most ships do not allow shorts in the dining rooms even on island night.

Trying to remember if we had something like that on the Star in '03 (Mex. Riv.). I know there wasn't any kind of fest on our Alaskan trip but maybe because it was raining the whole time. We had a bit too much of the lip syncing with the banana "microphone" on our Carnival cruises (my husband rolls his eyes and says, "corny."

OMG - I'll have to drag out my hula hoop and practice! I'll aim for at least 1/2 rotation around my waist (or what's left of a waist)

MarlinMike: Thanks for posting that video. It's hilarious.

Jackie

They do that during 50's night!

My links are screwed up - switched providers and haven't gone through them, however, my link in the above posting should work, however requires Windows Media 9 or 10.

BTW: For those that care, this posting reminded me of Graham so I sent him an email yesterday (Sunday) and he promptly responded. He's got his DVD available now. You can catch him at beveryafraiddvd@yahoo.com (guess what the title of the DVD is :) )

Archived