Can I upgrade a GUAR cabin?

trajan

Hi,

We are looking at sailing on Jewel Sept 27. If we booked an Inside Guaranteed today when could we expect to be assigned a cabin? And would it be possible to pay for upgrade after cabin is assigned? Ty for any replies!

you could get your cabin number weeks in advance or you may not be assigned a cabin until the sailing date. there's no way to tell, it's a total gamble.

and whether or not you can upgrade that cabin would depend on what inventory is left and at what price... another gamble.

so, while lots of people will have varied stories of their experiences to share, but there's no way to say for certain what would happen to your booking.

Why not just book the upgraded cabin you want? Being inside guarantees are rock bottom you'll be paying a lot more for any upgrades, anyway. I just about always book guarantees. Got off the Dawn last week, booked the Tuesday before the Friday sailing, Room assignment was Thursday- day before sailing. When I book further ahead, it's usually around a week ahead. Have also gotten on ships without knowing until I got there. :) I just booked on the Star, yesterday, with a sailing the 14th. It will be assigned at some point. :)

Prices on that sailing are very low. If you book an inside guarantee category IX you receive no perks. Cruise price for 2 is $606.80 and onboard you will be charged $135.00 service charge ($13.50 per person per day) for total of $741.80. The lowest available inside other than IX is category IF. It comes with one included perk. Prepaid service charge is one of the perks and with that category and perk your total cost would be $705.80. No staterooms are available in this category but it is still bookable and you will not receive a lower category stateroom.

Moving on to oceanview gets more interesting and more attractive because you can choose two perks unless you book the OX guarantee category. The lowest available not OX guarantee is category OK. There are currently no staterooms available in category OK but it is still bookable so you will receive it or better. Choose prepaid service charge and 3 specialty dinners total is $771.64, choose prepaid service charge and ultimate beverage package price is $889.00.

You can play with the various stateroom category and perk combinations and choose what works best for you.

Edited by kjquilts

Thanks everybody! Answered all my q's and then some. We got some figuring to do. :)

i booked an inside guarantee and the balcony guarantee price dropped. Got an upgrade for free to the balcony cabin. Just called who i booked with and they did all the work. Now i just need to wait 10 days to try my first balcony!!

i booked an inside guarantee and the balcony guarantee price dropped. Got an upgrade for free to the balcony cabin. Just called who i booked with and they did all the work. Now i just need to wait 10 days to try my first balcony!!

Grats, that is terrific! That is the kind of mojo I'd be hoping for but traveling with young kids we decided we needed a more definite choice and turns out my wife is addicted to the suite life. A 2 br family suite came available so we grabbed it. We've been in one before and it was awesome. I'll try a guarantee another time.

Edited by trajan