Nieuw Amsterdam and its invisible Captain

seapals2

I wonder if anybody has ever given a Captain a cash tip? Interesting thought.

Trying to do so is entirely inappropriate!:eek:

One does not offer a gratuity to any of the Officers on a ship. And, that includes the Cruise Director and others of his/her staff. A favorite piano bar entertainer might receive a small gratuity at the end of a cruise if he/she really deserves it.

The only exception to this might be a Dining Room Manager or Assistant Dining Room Manager who has performed some kind of special service for you.

This is, of course, my opinion and others may disagree.

Trying to do so is entirely inappropriate!:eek:

One does not offer a gratuity to any of the Officers on a ship. And, that includes the Cruise Director and others of his/her staff. A favorite piano bar entertainer might receive a small gratuity at the end of a cruise if he/she really deserves it.

The only exception to this might be a Dining Room Manager or Assistant Dining Room Manager who has performed some kind of special service for you.

This is, of course, my opinion and others may disagree.

On a riverboat, you do tip the cruise director. He/she is a one person staff and arranges all the optional and included tours. I know this isn't a normal thing on an ocean cruise, but just a head's up for anyone cruising the rivers of - at least - Europe

On a riverboat, you do tip the cruise director. He/she is a one person staff and arranges all the optional and included tours. I know this isn't a normal thing on an ocean cruise, but just a head's up for anyone cruising the rivers of - at least - Europe

Thanks for this information, but I must ask why. If the included tours are part of the river boat cruise, which I understand many are, it ought to be the Company that arranges the tours and not a CD.

Thanks for this information, but I must ask why. If the included tours are part of the river boat cruise, which I understand many are, it ought to be the Company that arranges the tours and not a CD.

I meant the day-to-day logistics of the tours: Audio units charged, stuff like that. When I was in France and Germany last year with the swollen rivers [that no one could go past or start before a certain point] so alternate transportation was arranged, strikes in France and keeping up with who/what group is on strike on that day, plus the Euro Cup all over France.

A nightmare for a realitively easy itinerary.