The Falkirk Wheel from Rosyth

jsquared

Has anyone traveled to The Falkirk Wheel from the Port of Rosyth? I have some questions if you have! From past posts I have figured out that we should be able to take the train from Inverkeithing to Falkirk (High or Grahamston). My questions are about getting to and from the stations.

1) I can't seem to find an address for where Princess docks so I'm not sure whether walking to the station is an option. I noticed that there were comments about some of the dock being closed due to construction but we won't be there until August, 2017 so that may not be an issue. If walking isn't an option, what options are there?

2) I see that both Falkirk stations are about 2.5 miles from the Wheel. Are both routes easily walkable or is one "better" than the other (sidewalks, traffic, etc)?

Thanks!

Jennifer

High station would be easier I would have thought, you could walk along the canal.

Just had a quick google and found this - https://www.firstgroup.com/south-east-and-central-scotland/news-and-service-updates/news/falkirks-new-tourism-bus-dressed-duty

If it was a success I'm sure they will run it again. The Kelpies are well worth a visit as well.

Hello squared

First of all Rosyth isn't the easiest port to navigate and there's no direct train from Inverkeithing to Falkirk. The best way to do it would be:

Take the Princess shuttle to Inverkeithing. because Rosyth is an industrial port, you are not allowed to walk. From Inverkeithing, take the train to Haymarket station in Edinburgh and change for a train to Falkirk High. The trains to FH are faster. From Falkirk High there is a shuttle bus which connects the 2 stations, the bus station, the Wheel, the Kelpies and Callendar House. The journey from Inverkeithing takes just under the hour and you can check it out at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

However there are always plenty of taxis available at the terminal in Rosyth so it would be so much easier just to take one. The guys are pretty fair about giving a quote and you would pay per taxi not per person. It's really not far by road.

I'm a welcome volunteer at the port so take a look at our website - http://www.cruiseforth.com. Let me know if you ahem any more questions

I'm a welcome volunteer at the port so take a look at our website - http://www.cruiseforth.com. Let me know if you ahem any more questions

Thank you! I may take you up on your offer. We have an overnight in Rosyth and have plans to attend the Tattoo and visit the Falkirk Wheel & Kelpies but still have extra time available. Were originally hoping to visit Loch Ness, but that was when we thought we'd be docking in Invergordon.

Thank you! I may take you up on your offer. We have an overnight in Rosyth and have plans to attend the Tattoo and visit the Falkirk Wheel & Kelpies but still have extra time available. Were originally hoping to visit Loch Ness, but that was when we thought we'd be docking in Invergordon.

If you are getting the train to Falkirk anyway you could stop in Linlithgow on the way past, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, Scotty from Star Trek and the location of scenes in Outlander. And actually quite a nice place to live.:)