Question about taking photos on excursion

dogchopper

Be careful one of the boards I was reading in regard to Dolphin Excursions...they paid 125 bucks for a zip drive with " their dolphin on it " and they got home and had NOTHING on the zip drive. This happened to more than one person. So be wary...

they had a computer and allowed us to check what was on our jump drive. I had paid for the excursion for myself and my daughter, her husband and three grandsons and I told my son-in-law he was in charge of getting us a deal on pictures that he was willing to pay for. He did a fine job for our group of 7 with a couple of friends who tagged along and got all our pix for $150.

My husband and I are booked on the splendor in December (YAY) and we are a bit disappointed in the excursions in Belize. We have already done the ruins and don't see anything else we want to do. So, I came up with the brilliant idea to save money in Belize and splurge in Roatan :D. I want to do the dolphin swim and snorkel. But I remember on another cruise someone complaining about the fact that he wasn't allowed to take photos when he was there with his kids. I don't want to have to pay for photos too (I'm very cheap )

So, can you take your own photos or do you have to just buy theirs?

From Carnival website

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/mahogany-bay/dolphin-swim-and-snorkel-518061

Note: Minimum age for participants is 8 years of ages and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while snorkeling. Participants should be familiar with the use of mask, fins and snorkel and should have prior snorkeling experience. Cameras or video are not allowed in the water during the snorkel session. Pregnant women are not allowed on this excursion. Total time spent with the dolphins is one hour.

We did the dolphin encounter and stingray swim in grand cayman thru Carnival. The dolphin encounter was really fun and we got to dance , pet, kiss and take pic with the dolphins. We did not get to ride and swim with them but I thought they gave us a lot of time and the dolphins were in an open area with a net over the rocks. They seemed to be well taken care of and in good condition. THe pictures were three for fifty but you had to choose only one person for the pics. No mixing of people or groups. I just got them of my daughter even though it was my birthday I was celebrating. We couldn't afford another package. THe stingray swim was so great and unbelievable and the operators of the tour let us use our water cameras as much as we wanted. they also took their photos but they posed and let us pose with the stingrays mutiliple times. My own camera took great pics and no need to buy anymore. Please be careful on their chairs on the boat though. My husbands chair gave away and he and the chair fell on my leg. My shin bone was sore all summer!! it was a great trip except for the accident.

From Carnival website

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/mahogany-bay/dolphin-swim-and-snorkel-518061

Note: Minimum age for participants is 8 years of ages and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while snorkeling. Participants should be familiar with the use of mask, fins and snorkel and should have prior snorkeling experience. Cameras or video are not allowed in the water during the snorkel session. Pregnant women are not allowed on this excursion. Total time spent with the dolphins is one hour.

Thanks I didn't see that part :)

We did the dolphin encounter and stingray swim in grand cayman thru Carnival. The dolphin encounter was really fun and we got to dance , pet, kiss and take pic with the dolphins. We did not get to ride and swim with them but I thought they gave us a lot of time and the dolphins were in an open area with a net over the rocks. They seemed to be well taken care of and in good condition. THe pictures were three for fifty but you had to choose only one person for the pics. No mixing of people or groups. I just got them of my daughter even though it was my birthday I was celebrating. We couldn't afford another package. THe stingray swim was so great and unbelievable and the operators of the tour let us use our water cameras as much as we wanted. they also took their photos but they posed and let us pose with the stingrays mutiliple times. My own camera took great pics and no need to buy anymore. Please be careful on their chairs on the boat though. My husbands chair gave away and he and the chair fell on my leg. My shin bone was sore all summer!! it was a great trip except for the accident.

We do the stingray excursions in grand cayman thru captian marvins. They are great and let you take all the photos you want also! !

they had a computer and allowed us to check what was on our jump drive. I had paid for the excursion for myself and my daughter, her husband and three grandsons and I told my son-in-law he was in charge of getting us a deal on pictures that he was willing to pay for. He did a fine job for our group of 7 with a couple of friends who tagged along and got all our pix for $150.

I'm hoping it's not 150 bucks for just the 2 of us :(

The pricing for photos with the Dolphin swims is a "game" to them. So you need to play it. I don't know which Dolphin encounter you are looking at, but I went on the one called Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel. The photos were so expensive. However, we learned a trick by first observing what others were being told.

Here's how it goes:

They offer you a rediculously high price for the package of all the pics and then a price for "individual" shots if you don't want the package.

If you tell them you think price is too high and want to go with a few "individual pics"...they will then say "oh, well how about the package for $$ (they tell you a new lower price than what they first quoted).

I then said "no..too high still", and they come back and say" well, for just you and your family (another scam cuz we heard them say it to the others too)", we can take a bit more money off (and then they gave me a new lower price). I paused and didn't answer...I then said "I don't know". They then asked ME what I would be willing to spend. I gave them a lower figure, and they gave in and accepted it!!

We also swam with the sea lions, and we also had to buy those pics too! My "angle" to them was "hey, I already spent a ton of money on your pics with the dolphins, I don't want to pay full price for the sea lion package". I went through same exact "bargaining scenario", and got my sea lion pics for much less than original quote.

It's all a game.

The pricing for photos with the Dolphin swims is a "game" to them. So you need to play it. I don't know which Dolphin encounter you are looking at, but I went on the one called Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel. The photos were so expensive. However, we learned a trick by first observing what others were being told.

Here's how it goes:

They offer you a rediculously high price for the package of all the pics and then a price for "individual" shots if you don't want the package.

If you tell them you think price is too high and want to go with a few "individual pics"...they will then say "oh, well how about the package for $$ (they tell you a new lower price than what they first quoted).

I then said "no..too high still", and they come back and say" well, for just you and your family (another scam cuz we heard them say it to the others too)", we can take a bit more money off (and then they gave me a new lower price). I paused and didn't answer...I then said "I don't know". They then asked ME what I would be willing to spend. I gave them a lower figure, and they gave in and accepted it!!

We also swam with the sea lions, and we also had to buy those pics too! My "angle" to them was "hey, I already spent a ton of money on your pics with the dolphins, I don't want to pay full price for the sea lion package". I went through same exact "bargaining scenario", and got my sea lion pics for much less than original quote.

It's all a game.

And by the way, the pics were given to me on two discs and was weary about that. They said they were fully downloadable and printable (they didn't have the copywrite marking either). They downloaded just fine and were of great quality.

Here's how it goes:

It's all a game.

Well I guess I will have to barter. Fun.. I'm glad they came down in price for you, I hope it works for me too.

Our daughter and granddaughter swam with the dolphins in Tortola and cameras were not allowed in the water. It is a policy for the safety of the dolphins more than a sell photo issue. You do not have to buy photos if you don't want. My son in law was able to get some pretty good shots from the observation section with a basic camera although he had to pay the observer fee to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our daughter and granddaughter swam with the dolphins in Tortola and cameras were not allowed in the water. It is a policy for the safety of the dolphins more than a sell photo issue. You do not have to buy photos if you don't want. My son in law was able to get some pretty good shots from the observation section with a basic camera although he had to pay the observer fee to get in.

I guess I will have to decide if we want to do the excursion. At least knowing in advance helps.

Does anyone know the tour provider Carnival uses? I was on NCL and they used Anthony's Key. I called ahead and arranged photography & prices in advance.

I believe it's Anthony's Key thru carnival also.

The whole rip off charges for pictures is the reason I have yet to do one of the dolphin encounters. I really wanted to on our cruise last year, then I started researching for the ones we could do at the ports we went to and decided it just wasn't worth it.

While not the total same, I have some nice pictures of us with dolphins up on the side of the pool from my late daughter's Make-a-Wish trip. We had a day at Sea World and so we got to feed them and they have cameras across from the pool to take a variety of pictures as the dolphins come up. That's a good enough experience for me I think. Not saying I wouldn't ever do the in-water experience, but the gouging for photos just keeps me from booking it right now. ;)

The whole rip off charges for pictures is the reason I have yet to do one of the dolphin encounters. I really wanted to on our cruise last year, then I started researching for the ones we could do at the ports we went to and decided it just wasn't worth it.

While not the total same, I have some nice pictures of us with dolphins up on the side of the pool from my late daughter's Make-a-Wish trip. We had a day at Sea World and so we got to feed them and they have cameras across from the pool to take a variety of pictures as the dolphins come up. That's a good enough experience for me I think. Not saying I wouldn't ever do the in-water experience, but the gouging for photos just keeps me from booking it right now. ;)

First I have to say I'm so sorry about your daughter. I'm so glad you have the photos from that!

And yeah its a major turn off to me too. I mean the excursion itself isn't cheap and then to be ripped off with photos is a shame. I honestly just can't think of anything else I really want to do in Belize..

First I have to say I'm so sorry about your daughter. I'm so glad you have the photos from that!

And yeah its a major turn off to me too. I mean the excursion itself isn't cheap and then to be ripped off with photos is a shame. I honestly just can't think of anything else I really want to do in Belize..

Thanks! We have some great memories to treasure from her short 9 years. And her MAW trip to Disney was just amazing!! We did everything she wanted, she was at one of her healthiest times, so it really was perfect. But now we do even more traveling with our son. His first cruise was last November and he's hooked!! :D This November will be his 3rd one in just 12 months!! :eek:

I've never been to Belize, so I can't give any suggestions on that one. I would almost rather the price of the excursion be raised and include a couple pictures. I understand the money spent would probably be the same, but I just wouldn't feel like I was being hosed, KWIM!? LOL!

Thanks! We have some great memories to treasure from her short 9 years. And her MAW trip to Disney was just amazing!! We did everything she wanted, she was at one of her healthiest times, so it really was perfect. But now we do even more traveling with our son. His first cruise was last November and he's hooked!! :D This November will be his 3rd one in just 12 months!! :eek:

I've never been to Belize, so I can't give any suggestions on that one. I would almost rather the price of the excursion be raised and include a couple pictures. I understand the money spent would probably be the same, but I just wouldn't feel like I was being hosed, KWIM!? LOL!

I'm with your son!! It's easy to get hooked on cruising. .

We have been to Belize before, we did the ruins. They were awesome. Cave tubing is popular but I'm not sure I'm up to the hike so I'll pass on that.

You enjoy your next cruise and make lots of wonderful memories!!

I'm with your son!! It's easy to get hooked on cruising. .

We have been to Belize before, we did the ruins. They were awesome. Cave tubing is popular but I'm not sure I'm up to the hike so I'll pass on that.

You enjoy your next cruise and make lots of wonderful memories!!

Yes it is! He's a little disappointed that we said this will probably be our last for awhile. There are other things in the world we want to see (Europe for one).

Haven't been to Belize, but I have heard amazing things about the cave tubing! Maybe one day we'll see it... Too much to see, so little time!:)