Question about taking photos on excursion

dogchopper

My husband and I are booked on the splendor in December (YAY) and we are a bit disappointed in the excursions in Belize. We have already done the ruins and don't see anything else we want to do. So, I came up with the brilliant idea to save money in Belize and splurge in Roatan :D. I want to do the dolphin swim and snorkel. But I remember on another cruise someone complaining about the fact that he wasn't allowed to take photos when he was there with his kids. I don't want to have to pay for photos too (I'm very cheap )

So, can you take your own photos or do you have to just buy theirs?

Edited by dogchopper

I don't think they will let you in the water with a camera or anything else that could be a distraction and usually observers can't get close enough to take decent photos. Getting you to buy their photos is a revenue stream for the companies.

With a long telephoto you might get some pictures at some of the facilities, but likely won't be as good as the ones they take.

Dolphin swims aren't cheap to begin with, so you might budget for a picture or two.

I don't think they will let you in the water with a camera or anything else that could be a distraction and usually observers can't get close enough to take decent photos. Getting you to buy their photos is a revenue stream for the companies.

With a long telephoto you might get some pictures at some of the facilities, but likely won't be as good as the ones they take.

Dolphin swims aren't cheap to begin with, so you might budget for a picture or two.

That's what I was afraid of. Humm.. wonder how much it's gonna run for the photos :(

If you're cheap, then you'll have to do without.

I guess I'll say I'm frugal

The Dolphinaris operator in Cozumel let me take all the photos I wanted last year. They were all very friendly and it has an open bar/buffet afterward. I realize it's not Roatan but I'm guessing it's your last stop.

You are not allowed to take cameras in the dolphin area.

Did Anyone see the dolphin that took a woman's ipad she was using to get a picture and got too close at seaworld. I am still Laughing. I got the feeling it was not the first thing he had taken.

You are not allowed to take cameras in the dolphin area.

Did Anyone see the dolphin that took a woman's ipad she was using to get a picture and got too close at seaworld. I am still Laughing. I got the feeling it was not the first thing he had taken.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/09/dolphin-steals-ipad-in-hilarious-video-at-seaworld/21448036/

I don't think I could go on an excursion where they wouldn't let me take pictures. But then, I've done dolphin swims and don't need to do any more and our pics were free so I didn't have to worry about that.

We had a fantastic time in Belize on the Butts-Up Cave Tubing adventure:

33m7gj6.jpg

t560z8.jpg

2cqy8b8.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. Humm.. wonder how much it's gonna run for the photos :(

If you're cheap, then you'll have to do without.

I guess I'll say I'm frugal

I don't think I could go on an excursion where they wouldn't let me take pictures. But then, I've done dolphin swims and don't need to do any more and our pics were free so I didn't have to worry about that.

We had a fantastic time in Belize on the Butts-Up Cave Tubing adventure:

33m7gj6.jpg

t560z8.jpg

2cqy8b8.jpg

that looks awesome! We thought about doing that but am not sure about the whole walking to the water. I'm cheap and lazy I guess.

The Dolphinaris operator in Cozumel let me take all the photos I wanted last year. They were all very friendly and it has an open bar/buffet afterward. I realize it's not Roatan but I'm guessing it's your last stop.
we already have something booked in cozumel so I can't do it there.

that looks awesome! We thought about doing that but am not sure about the whole walking to the water. I'm cheap and lazy I guess.

we already have something booked in cozumel so I can't do it there.

It is nice to do once and not expensive at all. I would not do it again. I budgeted for photos in Grand Caymen last month and unfortunately, they did not take pics:( All tours are different.

I think it really depends on the location. I went on a dolphin excursion thru Carnival in the Bahamas in 2012 (Blue Lagoon Island). It was $140 and we were allowed to take as many pictures as we wanted. In fact they encouraged it and posed with us and posed the dolphins for us. It was great and LOVE my photos!

It is nice to do once and not expensive at all. I would not do it again. I budgeted for photos in Grand Caymen last month and unfortunately, they did not take pics:( All tours are different.

Did you book it thru carnival or someone else? And how bad was the hike?

I once booked a Dolphin Swim in Cozumel through Princess. I believe it was at Chakanaab. I had a waterproof case for my camera, so it went with me. They were very strict that observers were not to take photos (even went as far as going up to an observer when a camera was spotted). I understand that now they don't even allow waterproof cameras. Unfortunately, while fun, the whole agenda of the experience was for them to capture pictures, and for them to sell them afterwards.

No lie, it was a tough hike. My wife and I are in our 50s out of shape and we managed to do it. I knew ahead of time it would be hot but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (mostly shade) but the terrain was pretty difficult in spots. You are on a winding path through the rain forest and you cross over the river several times (never more than knee deep but there is a current and the river-bed is loose rocks).

the guides were thoughtful and patient and never once made us feel like we were holding up the procession lol - and they made sure we got across everywhere safely. By the time we got to the entry point we were ready for the refreshing water and it did not disappoint.

I think we might do it again if we get back to Belize and it fits into plans - it was only 35 bucks a person and that included a giant "very authentic"* tamale for lunch. Beer and rum drinks were 3 bucks a piece. I absolutely loved the whole day but I was ready to rest when we got back to the ship.

*Chicken tamale with whole leg in there...bones and all - so eat it with a fork and pay attention. Flavor was great but I'm used to canned tamales from Publix lol.

oh and I forgot, some tour companies make you carry your inner tube but Butts-Up had them all waiting for us so we didn't have to carry them.

Edited by originalgeek

No lie, it was a tough hike. My wife and I are in our 50s out of shape and we managed to do it. I knew ahead of time it would be hot but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (mostly shade) but the terrain was pretty difficult in spots. You are on a winding path through the rain forest and you cross over the river several times (never more than knee deep but there is a current and the river-bed is loose rocks).

the guides were thoughtful and patient and never once made us feel like we were holding up the procession lol - and they made sure we got across everywhere safely. By the time we got to the entry point we were ready for the refreshing water and it did not disappoint.

I think we might do it again if we get back to Belize and it fits into plans - it was only 35 bucks a person and that included a giant "very authentic"* tamale for lunch. Beer and rum drinks were 3 bucks a piece. I absolutely loved the whole day but I was ready to rest when we got back to the ship.

*Chicken tamale with whole leg in there...bones and all - so eat it with a fork and pay attention. Flavor was great but I'm used to canned tamales from Publix lol.

oh and I forgot, some tour companies make you carry your inner tube but Butts-Up had them all waiting for us so we didn't have to carry them.

My husband and I are in our 50s too and that hike is the reason we opted out. I tend to get sick when I exert myself in the heat. It scares me to take a chance and end up passing out :eek:

Edited by dogchopper

Be careful one of the boards I was reading in regard to Dolphin Excursions...they paid 125 bucks for a zip drive with " their dolphin photos on it " and they got home and had NOTHING on the zip drive. This happened to more than one person. So be wary...

Be careful one of the boards I was reading in regard to Dolphin Excursions...they paid 125 bucks for a zip drive with " their dolphin photos on it " and they got home and had NOTHING on the zip drive. This happened to more than one person. So be wary...

Oh wow, that is horrible! ! I hate that people rip off people just trying to have a nice vacation.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Unless things have drastically changed in the last two years you can have your camera during the encounter portion of the dolphin swim and snorkel in Roatan. You have to either place it on a rock or let whoever you are with have it when you kiss or hold the dolphin. You also cannot have it at all during the snorkel portion. It has to be left on the rocks or the beach area. This was what happened when I did the excursion, and it is also what is listed in the rules on Anthony Key's website. I enjoyed this excursion so much that I have booked it again for my January 14 cruise. Also, if the prices have not went up, the pictures that they take at Roatan were some of the best priced that I have seen in any of the dolphin encounters that I have done. Granted it has been a while but I think that I only paid $40 for all of my pictures.

Edited by dragonclaw74

Unless things have drastically changed in the last two years you can have your camera during the encounter portion of the dolphin swim and snorkel in Roatan. You have to either place it on a rock or let whoever you are with have it when you kiss or hold the dolphin. You also cannot have it at all during the snorkel portion. It has to be left on the rocks or the beach area. This was what happened when I did the excursion, and it is also what is listed in the rules on Anthony Key's website. I enjoyed this excursion so much that I have booked it again for my January 14 cruise. Also, if the prices have not went up, the pictures that they take at Roatan were some of the best priced that I have seen in any of the dolphin encounters that I have done. Granted it has been a while but I think that I only paid $40 for all of my pictures.

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad.. but one more question, when you snorkel is it just snorkeling with the dolphins or are you looking for fish? Cuz it's a bummer not to be able to take pictures of the fish.

Well like I said you can't have your camera during the snorkel section itself so you won't get any pictures of that, but yes when I went there were other fish as well. Not a large amount, and nothing big because for them to be in there they have to fit through the openings in the netted area. The tour operators also did not take any pictures during the snorkel section when I was there, only during the encounter, so you won't have any pictures during the snorkel part at all. Even without pictures, the excursion is great. It is the only one that I have ever been on that you can actually put on a mak and fins and swim freely with a pod of dolphins. I could have stayed out there all day if they would have let me, and I love the fact that the dolphins are not in some concret pool. They are actually in a netted area over a portion of reef.

Well like I said you can't have your camera during the snorkel section itself so you won't get any pictures of that, but yes when I went there were other fish as well. Not a large amount, and nothing big because for them to be in there they have to fit through the openings in the netted area. The tour operators also did not take any pictures during the snorkel section when I was there, only during the encounter, so you won't have any pictures during the snorkel part at all. Even without pictures, the excursion is great. It is the only one that I have ever been on that you can actually put on a mak and fins and swim freely with a pod of dolphins. I could have stayed out there all day if they would have let me, and I love the fact that the dolphins are not in some concret pool. They are actually in a netted area over a portion of reef.

Sounds wonderful. . I think I'm gonna book it.

Thanks for the info!