Help with Euros!!!

Cherber

This is not rocket science. Unless you plan to buy something at the arrival airport before the luggage carousel (that would be very hard to do in most airports), you'll have an ATM there to get some cash. Charge all excursions to a CC. Minimal need for real cash.

Think about the logistics of getting Euros to the US, why would any business give you anywhere near the rate given in Europe when they have to get that money to the US?;)

We just returned from a land trip to Israel and we used our ATM card to get local currency once we arrived there. We only used local currency for small purchases and taxis. Then we used our Capital One credit card for restaurants, etc.

No need to exchange at AAA or banks at home.

Another suggestion: While on board there is always a bulletin board. Post that you will exchange $ for Eu ( or other currency needed) at internet posted exchange rate and suggest if interested, call your cabin #.

Will a cruise line actually allow a passenger to advertise this?

I suspect they will take it down if they see it

Hands down, as others have suggested, use an ATM card. I only use it at European bank ATMs versus the random "independent" ATMs you may come across in the streets. The transaction fees tend to be lower as are the exchange rate fees. I wouldn't use a credit card that acts as an ATM card because those transactions are treated like credit card transactions by my companies and the fees and interest rates are crazy.

Very good advice. A lot of the airports have changed to almost all private ATM's such as Travelex. Those are a much worse exchange rate than the ones owned by banks. You can tell the difference pretty easily.

We are leaving for a Spain/Cruise is 12 days. I booked most of my tours private not ship excursions. My problem they would all like to be paid in Euros and the total of all tours is rather high. I went to my bank and they want to charge an additional 13cents for each dollar I exchange, which I might add is VERY COSTLY. Since I am going to Spain a few days before the cruise takes off is it better to change dollars to euros there? Do they exchange on ship? What would you suggest I do? Time is ticking so please help:confused:

I haven't read all the responses, but read the 2nd response and IMO is the best option, if acceptable. We've been on 3 Medit. cruises, but travel the night before so we are not in the same boat. I usually take a couple hundred euros for tips, etc. and buy from a local bank (BoA). The last time on the Serenade, I noticed an exchange rate screen by GS, so I'm assuming one can buy on the ship. By the way the ships' rate was lower than my bank-go figure.