sites in walking distance of Nassau port

kimberlym4

Here's a cut and paste of a post I made in the newbie's thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2297068

Are you up for walking and a few drinks and a swim? Here's a plan........

Off the ship head straight south on East St, east on Shirley St to the Queen's Staircase and check that out. Then head back west on Shirley St, take the jog where it turns in to Duke St and then south on Market St to E Hill St and then head west. You'll pass Government House and then the Graycliff Hotel. Both worth a stop. Continue west on W Hill St (Yes it changes from E to W) to West St. Are you into art? The National Art Museum is on the corner. Continue south on West St and then east on Delancy St. Thirsty? Take the tour through the John Watlings Distillery and then enjoy a fine rum drink on their nice patio outside (This was my highlight last time I was there. They said I set the record for sniffing out of the rum barrel on the tour. Ya right) Now head north on Augusta St, good thing it's downhill after that rum drink. Look! Water! Why it's Junkanoo Beach! Time for a dip, and the Tiki Bikini Hut is there if you're still thirsty. Dry off or dry out and head east towards your ship. Follow the curve around the British Colonial Hotel and stop in if you want to see where James Bond stayed. Follow that curve to the left and when you can't go any further you'll end up at Senor Frogs. Monsieur Grenouille's is fun but not my kind of place. I'd head a few blocks east on Woodes Rodgers Walk, skipping the straw market and stopping at Pirate Republic Brewing for some cold ones before stumbling the last few blocks to the pier (hopefully before sailaway time!)

All are visible from this Google earth shot. All depends on your wants and how long you're in port for.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@25.076435,-77.3439348,17.11z?hl=en

Cheers!

EDIT: Looks like the map defaulted to my home town. I just updated the link so hopefully it's fixed.

Edited by squiffynimrod

There are two forts in Nassau. Fort Charlotte is actually about a mile and a half away from port. Fort Fincastle is closer and next to the Queen's Staircase so you can hit both at the same time.

Here is a walking tour that will give you a good head start:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464

And here's the map that goes with it:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

John Watling's is near #13 on the map.

We are planning on hitting those as well. Really looking forward to trying both. How far from port were they? I've heard it's only like 15 minutes walk.

It was about a 15 min walk. You have to leave the main tourist area and walk through the actual town. You will walk by some other sites as well art museum, junkanoo museum ect.

For Graycliff's, unless you want to explore hotel and grounds, keep walking past entrance... About 3 or 4 doorways down you will come to entrance for cigar shop and candy shop. Cogar shop you can see people work right from store but they offer tours and lessons. The chocolate shop you just see the goods unless you take the tour.

Distillery is a self guided tour around the back of property. Everything is very clean and pristine. They had the cleanest public bathrooms in nassau that I have seen. Inside there is a shop and a saloon where you can try a rum flight. 3 types for $6.

I was just researching Ft. Charlotte and descriptions say it is within walking distance of the pier. Are there any other spots to see/tour that are close to the Port?

Lots of good advice here! I'll add a couple of things that haven't been mentioned.

If you go to Trip Advisor's website and type in "Things to do" near "Nassau" there will be a map that pinpoints the attractions. You can see how far away they are from the port. (And find out more about the attraction, with reviews from people who've been there.)

Near Ft. Charlotte is Ardastra Gardens. My sister and I walked there and it took about 30 minutes. We loved it! There are marching flamingos (at scheduled times) and flamingos and peacocks just walking free. Also a caged area to go in and feed birds out of your hand. The whole atmosphere was lovely! The entrance fee was $15 per adult a couple of years ago. Check their website for details.

Also near Ft. Charlotte is Arawak Cay, also know as "Fish Fry", which is a group of restaurants with "local" food offerings. Many places have free Wi-Fi with purchase so you can catch up on your iphone. OH, the restaurant where we ate only accepted cash! Bahamians take US currency so there's no need to convert money, although you might get change back in their currency!

You'll pass Junkanoo Beach, which is open to the public. Many of the reviews say it's crowded with a party atmosphere, but when we last went, it was empty. (We usually aren't there in summer.) There are gorgeous views of the harbor!

You'll be out of the busiest area of downtown so do be cautious. Don't be a flashy tourist, and keep your wallet/purse close. My sister and I walked the entire route and we never felt threatened. For a few bucks you can snag a taxi or bus back to the port if you're tired or uncomfortable.

Have Fun!!