First P & O cruise

carolian

We have cruised a fair amount, mainly Holland America, Princess, Cunard etc. But we are now considering a cruise from Southampton to the Canaries for some winter sun.

We are looking at Ventura and Oceana. Any advice regarding these ships will be very much appreciated.

One obvious difference is the passenger numbers and ideally we prefer ships of not more than 2000 pax. This does tend to limit choice.

Our preference is for March so this is another restriction.

We like to book a balcony and from research it appears that the balconies are the same size, whatever grade.

Finally, any view on port or starboard in March would be the icing on the cake.

Carole

The Balconies are not all the same size with Oceana having the smallest. On Ventura the Balconies on C Deck are one & a half times larger than the rest.

Port or Starboard will make no difference as you are cruising North to South & vice versa on return.

We have been on both Oceana (twice) and Ventura (twice) and although we loved Oceana, we felt Ventura suited us best. The balconies are bigger, although some decks do overlook, but that didn't bother us. You have a larger wardrobe hanging space on Ventura. There was more going on with Ventura, both daytime annd evening. There were 5 of us in our group and there seemed to be more different options to eat, drink and watch evening entertainment.

We wouldn't hesitate on going back on either.

The problem is that we don't know your taste and what you like to do. If you want lots of select dining options then go for Ventura, but on your cruising history I'd say Oceana of the two. Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana are closer to HAL and Cunard though.

We have cruised a fair amount, mainly Holland America, Princess, Cunard etc. But we are now considering a cruise from Southampton to the Canaries for some winter sun.

We are looking at Ventura and Oceana. Any advice regarding these ships will be very much appreciated.

One obvious difference is the passenger numbers and ideally we prefer ships of not more than 2000 pax. This does tend to limit choice.

Our preference is for March so this is another restriction.

We like to book a balcony and from research it appears that the balconies are the same size, whatever grade.

Finally, any view on port or starboard in March would be the icing on the cake.

Carole

Personally,having been on both ships three times I would say that Oceana would suit you best because of the numbers onboard.however,the balconies are larger on Ventura so as the saying goes,you pay your money and take your choice.hope this helps you

Karen & Rob

Ventura for one main reason. It has an indoor pool area. Even if you aren't in the pool its an area which has lots of space, so even in bad weather it can be used.

As Ventura doesn't have a crows next bar large indoor areas with a decent view to the outside are lacking.

Ventura for one main reason. It has an indoor pool area. Even if you aren't in the pool its an area which has lots of space, so even in bad weather it can be used.

As Ventura doesn't have a crows next bar large indoor areas with a decent view to the outside are lacking.

Of course Oceana does not either.

I think Ventura balconies are bigger and there is mor to do On Ventura and more choice of eating outlets.

However I would go on either at the drop of a hat. Generally we pick the one we had not been on for the longest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Carole

Like you I have always preferred ships around the 2000 capacity. I've done around 200 days across all 3 Cunard ships and also a couple of cruises on HA's Zaandam.

I did a 35 night on Oceana last January and was disappointed with her. It was a Caribbean cruise to and from Southampton. To me, the ship did not roll smoothly - more of a judder. On the return to Southampton, there was an ex-Cunard deputy captain in charge and his comment on taking over was that he hoped we would hit fewer potholes on the way back :)

In March I was on Ventura and was impressed with the ship. The speciality restaurants are very good for me and certainly highlights an area that Cunard need to improve on. No problems at any of the ports with embarking/disembarking. The downside to me was, that compared to Cunard, the speakers were not as good - maybe just unlucky on that one.

I'll be on QE in December to the Canaries but also will be on Ventura in January going back to the Canaries.

If you decide on Ventura, have a look at the superior balcony cabins as that will give you a bit more room in the cabin but balconies are overlooked as are those on C deck but you do get a bit more sun on those compared to the higher decks.

Hi Carole

Like you I have always preferred ships around the 2000 capacity. I've done around 200 days across all 3 Cunard ships and also a couple of cruises on HA's Zaandam.

I did a 35 night on Oceana last January and was disappointed with her. It was a Caribbean cruise to and from Southampton. To me, the ship did not roll smoothly - more of a judder. On the return to Southampton, there was an ex-Cunard deputy captain in charge and his comment on taking over was that he hoped we would hit fewer potholes on the way back :)

In March I was on Ventura and was impressed with the ship. The speciality restaurants are very good for me and certainly highlights an area that Cunard need to improve on. No problems at any of the ports with embarking/disembarking. The downside to me was, that compared to Cunard, the speakers were not as good - maybe just unlucky on that one.

I'll be on QE in December to the Canaries but also will be on Ventura in January going back to the Canaries.

If you decide on Ventura, have a look at the superior balcony cabins as that will give you a bit more room in the cabin but balconies are overlooked as are those on C deck but you do get a bit more sun on those compared to the higher decks.

Wow, Jon what a fantastic post. So informative and so helpful.

We are looking for a little winter sun and investigated the Canaries for March 2017. However as you must be aware the ships we might prefer to cruise on are not back in the UK then.

We have spent the last couple of days looking at Princess from Fort Lauderdale. Sadly the more interesting itinerary includes 7 consecutive sea days on a 14 day trip. Now dismissing that one.

With the Ventura is there a problem when such a large vessel arrives in, say, Madeira? Especially if other ships are in port the islands must be very busy.

Thank you to all that replied, giving such good comments. Of, course choice of cruise is very personal. We always choose itinerary/destinations. We do not cruise for cruise sake. We also take land based holidays. We have never visited Madeira but the weather is not as reliable as the other islands so we thought a cruise to several islands would give us a chance to see somewhere new and get some sun hopefully.

Time to go over all the options again.

Again, very many thanks to you all.

Carole

About 12 years ago we spent Christmas in Madeira.

There were ships in every day, Funchal was busy, but no busier than when we went last summer during a week when there were no cruise ships in port.

Its a large island and local taxi drivers will find spots away from the crowds.

The problem we found with Oceana when we sailed in late April a few years back was that she can bounce across rough seas VERY easily. If you don't like bad weather and prefer more choice I'd recommend Ventura. You actually don't feel there are 3,000+ passengers when you're onboard.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, Jon what a fantastic post. So informative and so helpful.

We are looking for a little winter sun and investigated the Canaries for March 2017. However as you must be aware the ships we might prefer to cruise on are not back in the UK then.

We have spent the last couple of days looking at Princess from Fort Lauderdale. Sadly the more interesting itinerary includes 7 consecutive sea days on a 14 day trip. Now dismissing that one.

With the Ventura is there a problem when such a large vessel arrives in, say, Madeira? Especially if other ships are in port the islands must be very busy.

Thank you to all that replied, giving such good comments. Of, course choice of cruise is very personal. We always choose itinerary/destinations. We do not cruise for cruise sake. We also take land based holidays. We have never visited Madeira but the weather is not as reliable as the other islands so we thought a cruise to several islands would give us a chance to see somewhere new and get some sun hopefully.

Time to go over all the options again.

Again, very many thanks to you all.

Carole

Madeira copes very well with large ships. Or even a number of ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Carole

Yes, it is a pity that Cunard put their three ships on "worldies". Unless long flights are done, it does mean choice in sailing from the UK is limited. My last two long haul flights were so tiring returning to the UK, that I decided this year to try Oceana and Ventura. So glad that I did include Ventura.

As you will see from the P&O forum, it isn't the same as the other lines you have tried but in my opinion it is worth trying. If you end up enjoying the brand, it can make winter holidays to the sun much easier. Dress code isn't as formal as Cunard but is more formal and adhered to than on Holland America based on the HA cruises I've done.

Enjoy reviewing your options

Today we are deciding to book Ventura, C deck balcony after reading previous posts. Still debating port or starboard.

The overnight in Madeira coincides with the carnival so that is great.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Carole