Organized Cabin Tips/Hacks

amberry

Suggestions + advice needed for keeping your room organized and clutter free**

I have been on several week long cruises and know how easy it is to cover any counter top space. Next month I will be on a 15 day cruise and would love to know what other people do in order to keep it as clutter free as possible! The only one idea I have came across is the over the door shoe hanger for the bathroom...but from my understanding has several fire restrictions.

Anyways, if you have anything you'd like to add it would be greatly appreciated!

I make a small box (from the flyers) to corral all the little stuff on the vanity. Designate one drawer as a 'junk' drawer.

Unpack right away, most of our stuff is packed in cubes, go right into the drawer or on the shelf. Things that we won't be using stay in our suitcases (snorkeling gear) under the bed.

Dirty clothes go in their designated spot before we leave the cabin.

Don't bring the kitchen sink! Less stuff equals less clutter. Do you need 10 pair of shoes when 4 will do?

Reduce your beauty routine and limit your lotions and potions. Plan on doing a load of laundry. Lots of threads on packing light. Those have great ideas even if you don't do carryon.

I am usually an overpacker, but I am trying to do better. I go to the Dollar store and get the empty travel size containers to downsize shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. I also put back the trial size foundations, make-up, etc that I get as a gift with purchase and take those instead of full size products.

We put our luggage under the bed, but keep the lid folded back on one so that we can slide it out easily and use it as our hamper.

I have a roll up cosmetic type bag with several zipped compartments that I put on the bathroom door to keep everything off of the counter. No where near the size of a shoe holder and holds all of the smaller items.

Edited by suzycruiser2

I take a file folder withimportant papers and info and add flyers I get that I need and put it on the safe in the closet.

If traveling with others have rules to put shoes in the closet when done wearing them, not on the cabin floor. Sow things you can in closets, drawers provided.

If you don't pack a lot of stuff to begin with, you have less "clutter" to deal with.

If you want to buy souvenir tee shirts, either don't bring as many or bring some that you will wear once and then toss in the garbage.

Cruising the mass lines, especially on Carnival, hasn't been a glam thing for years. Leave some makeup and other cosmetics home, you don't need it, women are prettier with less than more. Don't bring a hair dryer, there's one in the cabin. And if you have a slightly damp hair look, then let others stare and be jealous of what they think you may have just been doing.

No need to bring soda or snacks, you can get whatever you need on board. And ignore the calls for organizers, boxes, vacuum bags, etc., that's only more stuff to bring and then more stuff to fill it up and justify bringing it.

Less is more! Look up George Carlin's monologue on "Stuff", one of his funniest routines!

Edited by evandbob

We take several of those collapsible storage cubes (they fit nicely in bottom of suitcases). We each have a different color and we mark them in categories like "socks and underware", "swimware & hats", flip flops & sandals" etc. whatever category you need.

The shelves inside the closets are dark and hard to see the clothes and it's hard to keep everything orderly and folded. The cubes are easy to remove when looking for something and it helps keep my teen and husband very organized. The color coding makes it very easy to grab your own bin.

We take several of those collapsible storage cubes (they fit nicely in bottom of suitcases). We each have a different color and we mark them in categories like "socks and underware", "swimware & hats", flip flops & sandals" etc. whatever category you need.

The shelves inside the closets are dark and hard to see the clothes and it's hard to keep everything orderly and folded. The cubes are easy to remove when looking for something and it helps keep my teen and husband very organized. The color coding makes it very easy to grab your own bin.

So you literally mark them "Socks and underware" and "Swimware & hats"?

Edited by drerickson77

I take magnetic binder clips (for papers) and magnetic binder clips (for my S&S card). When I go with my friend I also take some of those little plastic tubs they have 4/$1 at the Tree - we each get one for the bathroom and one for the desk to keep things neat. I pack socks and undies in large ziploc bags and just throw them in the closet or drawer that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We unpack early, and place one suit case near the dresser standing up with the top unzipped. It is now a clothes hamper for the rest of the cruise. When clothes come off, they go in the hamper unless they are going to be worn again.

A glass is set on the metal serving tray and change and receipts go in it, for further review later if needed.

Everything else, fliers, capers, ads, all go in the trash.

I put face moisturizers, cleansers, and any thing else liquid in contact lens case holders so I don't have a bunch of bottles sitting around. Throw all the trash fliers as soon as you touch them. Keep desktop cleared of everything but what you will use that day. Keep all tickets and other important papers in safe.

This is what we do in a standard balcony cabin. Things are different if we are in a suite because they have so much storage space.

We unpack completely as soon as the luggage arrives. Empty suitcases are stored under the bed with the zippers open to make it easy to stow dirty laundry in them. Underwear and socks go into whatever drawers there are. Tee shirts and shorts are folded and stacked on the shelves in the closet(s). I bring extra hangers so that all dress shirts and polo shirts are hung in the closet, along with all dresses and slacks. We keep most of our toiletries and my make up in our toiletry kits and stow them below the sink if there is a space for that, or put them on a shelf in the closet. The only thing that goes on the shelf is toothpaste and deodorant. Toothbrushes are stowed in germ killing cases. Suntan lotion is in a ziplock bag in the beach bag, which we hang from one of the hooks. PJ's go into the small nightstands.

When sailing on a longer cruise, I still pack as if going for only 7 nights and send out underwear, tee shirts, shorts and pj's to be laundered. Thankfully, I am Diamond and get unlimited laundry. Delicate items that cannot go in the dryer are washed by hand and hung up in the bathroom to dry.

We always throw out the ads and other papers after we have read them and throw out that days FunTimes before going to bed. Any papers deemed important go in the desk drawer, along with any receipts. The desktop is cleared off completely, everything is put away before leaving the cabin to try to make the job as easy as possible for the room steward. I clean before the steward comes!

We did a 19 day this year- our longest so far. I worried about how to pack for 19 days, 3 formal nights. A long black skirt can be worn with several different tops. I found that I could wear ea outfit 2-3 times by using the laundry service & changing the outfits with different jewelry or sweaters or scarfs. We kept toiletries under the sink in small bags. Travel sized products save space too. Our 19 day cruise went from warm Florida to Extremely hot Panama to cooler, almost cold Seattle. So I layered my outfits in the cooler temps.

We did a 19 day this year- our longest so far. I worried about how to pack for 19 days, 3 formal nights. A long black skirt can be worn with several different tops. I found that I could wear ea outfit 2-3 times by using the laundry service & changing the outfits with different jewelry or sweaters or scarfs. We kept toiletries under the sink in small bags. Travel sized products save space too. Our 19 day cruise went from warm Florida to Extremely hot Panama to cooler, almost cold Seattle. So I layered my outfits in the cooler temps.

That sounds awesome! What cruise line does 19 days? I'm a cruise newbie so havent seen anything longer than 9 so far

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, let me start of by saying I'm very jealous of your 15night cruise! Would love to do one of those.

The GF and I are very good about having an organized/clean cabin, we both have the "neat bedroom ocd" so it works well on the cruise. No one likes packing/unpacking so we've made a routine on day 1 of going back to the room after sail away with a round of beers to fully unpack our bags and "move-in" to the stateroom. Split up closet space, unpack toilet-trees, everything has a place essentially. Starting out nice and neat usually keeps it that way, I'm sure the room stew appreciates it as well.

We try not to let thing we're done with lay around, so we pack 1 garbage bag each and after we wear an outfit it goes in there. The garbage bag is kept in a closet, or you can keep it in your suitcase as well.

Another tip pack enough clothes for 8nights if you don't mind wearing the same outfit to dinner twice over the 15nights. Send your clothes out to the laundry service, or do them yourself, halfway through the cruise. This will cut down on how much stuff you have around the room, and how much you have to pack.

The wire hooks for the pocket holders were scratching the door finishes.

Replace the hooks with some string, hang from one of the hooks.

Come join the roll call. One here and two more on the F site that cannot be named.

1) If you are the type that likes to save the Fun Times and other papers for scrapbooking have a folder you keep in the top dresser drawer to keep all that so it's not on the counter space.

2) Limit your shoes. I preplan outfits when I'm packing and try to pack outfits that will all go with the same shoes. I end up usually just taking a pair of sneakers, a pair of flip flops, and one pair of flats or dressy sandals that would go with my dinner outfits

3) Wear clothes more than once. Shirt wise I always pack enough for one each day and one extra because no matter how hard I try I always get something on my shirt. But short wise, denim shorts, I wear them normally two or three times before I wash them unless I get dirt on them

4) Toiletries. I limit my makeup and don't take as much. I also use the ships body wash and shampoo that's in the shower and it works for me. For other stuff like toothpaste, hairspray, etc I get the travel sizes.

5) Misc. I always bring my kindle, Ipod, headphones, and some magazines (I don't like to take my Kindle to the beach so I take magazines to read while chilling) and I keep those in the little night stands. Suitcase goes under the bed

I'll pass along a little tip that might help. On your way to your cabin (on Embarkation Day), stop by the buffet area and grab a water cup (whichever color you like). Then, when you get to your cabin, put the loose change that's in your pocket and your car keys in it. You're not going to need those until it's time to go home. Put the cup in a drawer or the safe.

Edited by beachbum53

Wow, let me start of by saying I'm very jealous of your 15night cruise! Would love to do one of those.

The GF and I are very good about having an organized/clean cabin, we both have the "neat bedroom ocd" so it works well on the cruise. No one likes packing/unpacking so we've made a routine on day 1 of going back to the room after sail away with a round of beers to fully unpack our bags and "move-in" to the stateroom. Split up closet space, unpack toilet-trees, everything has a place essentially. Starting out nice and neat usually keeps it that way, I'm sure the room stew appreciates it as well.

We try not to let thing we're done with lay around, so we pack 1 garbage bag each and after we wear an outfit it goes in there. The garbage bag is kept in a closet, or you can keep it in your suitcase as well.

Another tip pack enough clothes for 8nights if you don't mind wearing the same outfit to dinner twice over the 15nights. Send your clothes out to the laundry service, or do them yourself, halfway through the cruise. This will cut down on how much stuff you have around the room, and how much you have to pack.

<See bolded area> What are these? Or do you mean toiletries? Must be a Jersey thing!

Bruce Springsteen FTMFW!!!

Edited by drerickson77

That is a 'neat' idea!!! I will be going on a B2B with DH and DS next year and will keep that in mind!