Organized Cabin Tips/Hacks

amberry

I order Room service.

Then i take the cover off of one item, flip it over, line it with one of there napkins. WaLa a junk draw. We leave that on the counter and it works great.

I also keep the 'sugar' sweetener container on the first am. This way i know im going to have sweetener for my coffee all week. I like the blue. LOL Then it goes back at the end of the cruise.

I under pack, i do not own a pair of shoes, no dresses, so my cabin is tidy.

We always use an over the door shoe organizer. One for shoes and one for toiletries, hairbrush, ect. Keeps everything organized but still accessible. Have never had a problem using them.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

I do this too. It works fantastic and keeps everything off the counter in the bathroom. Also, everything is right at my fingertips - from hair ties to sunscreen.

1) If you are the type that likes to save the Fun Times and other papers for scrapbooking have a folder you keep in the top dresser drawer to keep all that so it's not on the counter space.

2) Limit your shoes. I preplan outfits when I'm packing and try to pack outfits that will all go with the same shoes. I end up usually just taking a pair of sneakers, a pair of flip flops, and one pair of flats or dressy sandals that would go with my dinner outfits

3) Wear clothes more than once. Shirt wise I always pack enough for one each day and one extra because no matter how hard I try I always get something on my shirt. But short wise, denim shorts, I wear them normally two or three times before I wash them unless I get dirt on them

4) Toiletries. I limit my makeup and don't take as much. I also use the ships body wash and shampoo that's in the shower and it works for me. For other stuff like toothpaste, hairspray, etc I get the travel sizes.

5) Misc. I always bring my kindle, Ipod, headphones, and some magazines (I don't like to take my Kindle to the beach so I take magazines to read while chilling) and I keep those in the little night stands. Suitcase goes under the bed

My solution was pretty much going to bring less. You have said basically the same thing, just fleshed it out a little more.

Also, I have brought a pop up hamper for dirty clothes. I sometimes do laundry on the ship. I know, I know people don't want to do laundry on vacation, but I like to go home with clean clothes. Its a real bummer to leave vacation, drive 12 hours home and then have to do laundry. Also, our cruise clothes are often shorts and things that it might not be time to wear yet at home. I like to be able to put them right away and deal with them later.

Edited by cruzinlisa

I'm part of the over-the-door-organizer camp. Love that.

I also love the pop-up hamper so I have someplace to collect dirty gym clothes for the first half of the cruise, in the middle I will ROLL them and fit them all in one of the $15 paper laundry bags and give to my stewart. TIP: If you roll everything you will be amazed what fits in that bag. Typically they fill 3 bags of folded clothes when they return it to me.

I also bring magnet hooks and save my fun-times on those hanging from the wall so they are not cluttering.

We try to stay as organized as possible but by the last day it never fails that there is some clutter. We don't stress too much about it, we are on vacation after all!

For a 7 or 8 day cruise, my husband and I bring one large suitcase and one rolling garment bag. Most of our hanging clothes are on hangers in the garment bag, so when we unpack we have enough hangers for all of our clothes. There are plenty of nooks and crannies for everything - we've never had an issue with clutter if we take a moment to put stuff away.

A folder for all the paperwork and receipts which slides into a drawer under our underclothes or on top the safe. Lots and lots of room in the bathrooms to unpack from your toiletry bag and put the items on the shelves so the vanity top is clear.

Luggage under the bed, with the suitcase unzipped for dirty clothes. Kindle, playing cards, books and magazines in the bedside tables.

Take 5 minutes at the end of the day to put everything away - you will wake up to clean and uncluttered stateroom!

Enjoy that nice long cruise.

Edited by Florings

...I under pack, i do not own a pair of shoes, no dresses, so my cabin is tidy.

So, what, may I ask, do you wear on your feet? Do you borrow or rent shoes?:confused:

And for the record, I pack at least a dozen pairs of shoes (all of which I own:rolleyes::p) for a week-long cruise. Yes, I wear them all on the cruise. I pack at least 14 many dresses for each cruise, as well. I over-pack (and I like it that way) and my cabin is still tidy. Under-packing does not necessarily mean a tidy cabin - a slob is going to be a slob whether he has packed light or not. Likewise, over-packing does not mean a cluttered cabin - I pack much more than the typical cruiser and probably keep one of the tidiest cabins.;)

Just one more illustration of: we all have different ways of doing things and what is best for one may be unacceptable for another.

I wear flip flop sandals, and sneakers. I live on an island, and truly do not own a pair of shoes.

So, what, may I ask, do you wear on your feet? Do you borrow or rent shoes?:confused:

And for the record, I pack at least a dozen pairs of shoes (all of which I own:rolleyes::p) for a week-long cruise. Yes, I wear them all on the cruise. I pack at least 14 many dresses for each cruise, as well. I over-pack (and I like it that way) and my cabin is still tidy. Under-packing does not necessarily mean a tidy cabin - a slob is going to be a slob whether he has packed light or not. Likewise, over-packing does not mean a cluttered cabin - I pack much more than the typical cruiser and probably keep one of the tidiest cabins.;)

Just one more illustration of: we all have different ways of doing things and what is best for one may be unacceptable for another.

We are the same. We over pack cause that is what we like to do and our cabin is never messy at all

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Edited by rtap23

I wear flip flop sandals, and sneakers. I live on an island, and truly do not own a pair of shoes.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but those are shoes.

flip-flop

noun: flip-flop; plural noun: flip-flops

1. a light sandal, typically of plastic or rubber, with a thong between the big and second toe.

san·dal

noun: sandal; plural noun: sandals

1. a light shoe with either an openwork upper or straps attaching the sole to the foot.

sneak·er

noun: sneaker; plural noun: sneakers

1. a soft shoe with a rubber sole worn for sports or casual occasions.

...Soooooo, unless you are borrowing, stealing, or renting them, you truly do own at least two pairs of shoes.;)

Edited by ShakyBeef

I take magnetic binder clips (for papers) and magnetic binder clips (for my S&S card). When I go with my friend I also take some of those little plastic tubs they have 4/$1 at the Tree - we each get one for the bathroom and one for the desk to keep things neat. I pack socks and undies in large ziploc bags and just throw them in the closet or drawer that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love idea of the ziploc for socks and undies!

I am not being sarcastic when I write that packing less crap is key. I pack the very basic toiletries and make up. If I have clothes that are presentable but I know are on their last legs, i pack them, wear them, and then toss them in the laundry garbage (I have had things that looked ok but were not actually fit to donate). We don't buy souvenirs unless we are on a first time or once in a lifetime cruise- like Alaska. It is amazing how much space we have since we (I) have stopped over packing.

Edited by cruiseonthebrain

Besides many of the above suggestions, what helps us to keep our cabin tidy is to have it picked up each time we leave our cabin. That way if you return with beach wear, shopping purchases or simply a few fliers you picked up along the way you are more apt to put them promptly away. If you return to a mess it is easier to just add whatever you have brought with you to the pile. I always enjoy keeping the room tidy. A lot easier than keeping a whole house clean.

We just came back from our first cruise. After doing many hours of research on how to organize, what to pack, and other assundry ideas here is what we decided on and it worked for us.

• It is easy to overpack. Even when you think you are cutting back, most people still overpack.
  • The over-the-door-organizer worked great for us. Lots of things at our fingertips without being out and in the way.
  • In rooms with the couches. Many of them have 2 storage drawers under the couch.
  • Walls are metal. Use small magnets with clips to hang items. We always hung up our S&S cards when we came into the room. We also hung up the "Fun Times" each evening after it was delivered.
  • We had room service deliver coffee to the room each morning. Enjoyed having coffee on the balcony.
  • We took an extension cord for husband's CPAP machine, duct taped the cord on the floor and ran it under the bed.
  • Took additional outlet with two USB ports for charging.
  • Stored our luggage under the bed.
  • Even though the rooms are smaller than what you are used to in hotels, they are really well laid out. Lots of storage places.
  • Just because others say it's a "must have" use your own judgement.

I over pack and keep a very neat cabin. I agree that packing less doesn't translate to a neater cabin. I keep the extra stuff I pack (clothes, just in case meds, extra toiletries, etc) in the suitcase under the bed. No reason to unpack it until it's needed. I did find the over the door shoe helpful in reducing desk/vanity area clutter, especially when traveling with a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on a 20 day Caribbean cruise with Princess at the end of October. I love planning my outfits, some I only wear on cruises.

We use packing cubes. We also have a duffle bag that we bring with us that we use for our dirty clothes. That way we can use our suitcases for all the souvenirs I plan to buy. 😀

It's fun to plan. It's half the fun of the holiday!

I am of the less-is-more camp, but you truly need to do what makes you happy! Some people really enjoy the process of formulating a wardrobe and having lots of choices "in the moment". I just want the basics in adequate quantity to get me through vacay clean, comfy and presentable. I am a one backpack/3 packing cubes gal and that includes my snorkel gear and hammock. I like being able to unpack in 5 minutes and I hang everything but shorts and small items. I would hate having to deal with a mess of stuff and the next girl would be stressed without it. Bring what you need to have a great vacation. There really is plenty of storage on all of the ships I have sailed.

My tips for light packers

* Rehang everything that isn't soiled or stinky. You may need it again.

* Small items and T's wash up nicely w/shampoo. Take in shower with you.

* Throw away everything that you don't need right away.

* Save important things in the desk drawer.

* Bring along "poo-pourri". It's worth the limited real estate in my bag.

* Packing cubes make bag space go further.

* Mix and Match pieces add flexibility and cut down on total items.

* Ditch the straightener and bring more scrunchies. Messy buns are sexy.

* Include a folding tote bag if you bring home more than you left with.

Our entire family travels with the Ebags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible Junior backpack. It's a fabulous bag and is highly rated by many. We also use the Ebags brand packing cubes and flat pack toiletry bag. http://friend.ebags.com/v2/share/6330602439598037228

They literally thought of "everything" when they designed this bag.

I always unpack the first day. Put everything away neatly. No matter what I always get back to the cabin on day 3 look around and think... How did it get like this?!

Random papers from everywhere - the spa, ports, fun times.

A cup (there is always a cup that didn't get put out w the rest of the tray)

Some souvenir I bought, an extra pair of Shoes, my book, my partners book, pens, a board game, the list goes on.

For our family the key is taking a few minutes EVERY day to tidy. Finding a home for something and making sure it goes back there. Lack of clutter is about maintenance rather than lack of stuff (for us anyways).

Unless you are traveling w a 3 year old, than it doesn't matter what you do, you're still stepping on duplo blocks at 2am. I kid you not.

Less is definitely the better approach....Hard concept for the newbie cruiser is understandable but the axiom of "pack half as much stuff and take twice as much money" is a good rule to follow....No reason to take 10 pair of shoes and 14 dresses. If you find yourself doing that, they have prescription meds and therapy to cure that condition....Less stuff means less clutter

Edited by First and Ten

Less is definitely the better approach....Hard concept for the newbie cruiser is understandable but the axiom of "pack half as much stuff and take twice as much money" is a good rule to follow....No reason to take 10 pair of shoes and 14 dresses. If you find yourself doing that, they have prescription meds and therapy to cure that condition....Less stuff means less clutter

I've heard some people literally don't even own a pair of shoes...errrr.... wait....

I am one of those "less is more" people. I understand that people like to bring lots of clothes if that is your thing, that's your business, but here are things that work for me. My husband and I each bring one carry on roller luggage and a book bag even for a 14 day trip

1) roll clothes before packing your luggage. You can fit many things in this way.

2) when packing, wrap individual shoes in a plastic grocery bag, so you can pack individual shoes in any gaps. Put socks and underwear in the shoes. I usually bring 3-4 pairs of shoes. I wear the most bulky ones on travel days (sneakers) and pack crocs, sandals, and dress shoes

3) pack medicines, cameras, personal items in a back pack. We have a folding bag for medicine that has a hook on it when unfolded, so we just hang it up in the closet on the ship

Now inside of the cabin:

Dirty clothes go in the luggage under the bed. Bulky items stay in the luggage along with souvenirs, papers we want to keep, etc

Important documents, phones, cameras, Chargers, wallets, jewelry etc all go in the safe. The chargers aren't "valuable" but I like to keep them near the devices.

On day one after lunch, we put our clothes away in the closets and drawers.

Bathroom items either go in the bathroom or stay in the book bag until needed.

Travel sized laundry detergent can be useful to hand wash a few things if needed, or shampoo works in a pinch.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

We take several of those collapsible storage cubes (they fit nicely in bottom of suitcases). We each have a different color and we mark them in categories like "socks and underware", "swimware & hats", flip flops & sandals" etc. whatever category you need.

The shelves inside the closets are dark and hard to see the clothes and it's hard to keep everything orderly and folded. The cubes are easy to remove when looking for something and it helps keep my teen and husband very organized. The color coding makes it very easy to grab your own bin.

The collapsible storage cubes are a fabulous idea! The socks, belts, bras, etc. will go great in those. I was going to buy packing cubes for those odds & ends. Now I will just dump out the storage cubes I have at home & take them instead.

Thanks for the great tip!