Moving furniture to make more room for scooter?

bunchesofun

I had been asking earlier about mobility scooters for my friend with Parkinson's that's cruising with us. But now my husband's knees have gotten so bad that he may need a mobility scooter as well. We will have two adults and two teenagers in the room so it's going to be a squeeze. But we just got to thinking. Might it be possible to remove one of the night stands and lamps and push the bed(s) as far as they will go towards the window. We have a french door interior on the Carnival Pride. It seems like if we could do that there might be room to park the scooter at the foot of the bed, or at least leave room for the kids to get in and out of the bunk beds. I know if someone wants twin beds, that they remove a nightstand and put one between them so I wouldn't think it would be a major deal to ask them to do that. Has anyone done this?

If there is a coffee table in the room have them take that out. I don't know about the night stands. The lamps are screwed to them so there may be a problem. I'm not sure what else you could do. Make sure you stow your luggage under the beds. That will give some room. Make sure you sleep in the bed closest to the bathroom so you don't stumble into the

If there is a coffee table in the room have them take that out. I don't know about the night stands. The lamps are screwed to them so there may be a problem. I'm not sure what else you could do. Make sure you stow your luggage under the beds. That will give some room. Make sure you sleep in the bed closest to the bathroom so you don't stumble into the

It was only that it seemed to me that when they do a twin bed configuration that they have only one night stand in the room, between the beds, as opposed to the two - one on each side - with a king bed. The Pride cabins we've been in have only 12" round tables in front of the sofa, and we will ask that be removed. Since I asked this question, I contacted the "Carnival Care" department so I should have a definitive answer and will post it here.

Edited by bunchesofun

It was only that it seemed to me that when they do a twin bed configuration that they have only one night stand in the room, between the beds, as opposed to the two - one on each side - with a king bed. The Pride cabins we've been in have only 12" round tables in front of the sofa, and we will ask that be removed. Since I asked this question, I contacted the "Carnival Care" department so I should have a definitive answer and will post it here.

When I cruised with my female friends and we had twin configuration they put both night stands between the beds.

My mistake as to the number of night stands with the twin configuration. I obviously didn't remember correctly from photos I've seen (never been in a twin). But that proves they CAN at least move them. Maybe have it moved to the foot of the bed then push the bed over if they can't remove it? Haven't heard from Carnival care yet.

We would be renting from one of the approved companies, so I am sure that they know which scooter fits in the stateroom doors of the Pride.

We normally put the coffee table under the bathroom sink. Also arrange the furniture the way we want it. We have two scooters and a POC in the cabin and definitely need every inch of space we can get.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Great idea, but it wouldn't work on the Pride.

Some Princess cabins we've moved the table into the closet. That wouldn't work on the Pride either.

Great idea, but it wouldn't work on the Pride.

Some Princess cabins we've moved the table into the closet. That wouldn't work on the Pride either.

I've heard of people on the Carnival ships asking the steward to remove the table, so that's not unheard of anyway.

Still have not heard back from Carnival Care.

I had been asking earlier about mobility scooters for my friend with Parkinson's that's cruising with us. But now my husband's knees have gotten so bad that he may need a mobility scooter as well. We will have two adults and two teenagers in the room so it's going to be a squeeze. But we just got to thinking. Might it be possible to remove one of the night stands and lamps and push the bed(s) as far as they will go towards the window. We have a french door interior on the Carnival Pride. It seems like if we could do that there might be room to park the scooter at the foot of the bed, or at least leave room for the kids to get in and out of the bunk beds. I know if someone wants twin beds, that they remove a nightstand and put one between them so I wouldn't think it would be a major deal to ask them to do that. Has anyone done this?

We've been on the Pride 4 times and will sail on her again in 2017. I have Pride GoGo Elite traveler Plus, and have taken it on three cruises, and each time in a standard balcony cabin. This probably won't help much, but here is how I do it (also, only me and DH in cabin).

My scooter fits through the 21" cabin door. DH opens door, I drive in and now the desk is to my left, and the sofa, table and chair are to my right, the bed (1) is straight ahead. We push the table and turn it horizontal against the chair. Now I have space to continue in toward the bottom left of the bed. I lower scooter speed, move forward and backward slowly, turn the scooter around, and now I'm facing the door, and I park beside the front of the sofa, in front of the horizontal table, which leaves me about 18" behind the scooter to fit myself on the sofa. There is room between the desk and chair, table, scooter to get by easily enough that I can pull the little stool out and fix hair, or apply make-up, etc. I believe we removed the arms of my scooter too. If we order room service, I just back the scooter up a little bit, move the table away from the chair, and DH can use the chair and table, and I can use the sofa and table, or just go out on balcony with our coffee, etc.

This is confusing I'm sure, but it gives you an idea of how I maneuver. I do think it will be difficult for you though. But, just ask the steward to remove some things and I think although it will be tight, just figure you're all not in the cabin that much or at one time. Have a fun cruise!!!

We've been on the Pride 4 times and will sail on her again in 2017. I have Pride GoGo Elite traveler Plus, and have taken it on three cruises, and each time in a standard balcony cabin. This probably won't help much, but here is how I do it (also, only me and DH in cabin).

My scooter fits through the 21" cabin door. DH opens door, I drive in and now the desk is to my left, and the sofa, table and chair are to my right, the bed (1) is straight ahead. We push the table and turn it horizontal against the chair. Now I have space to continue in toward the bottom left of the bed. I lower scooter speed, move forward and backward slowly, turn the scooter around, and now I'm facing the door, and I park beside the front of the sofa, in front of the horizontal table, which leaves me about 18" behind the scooter to fit myself on the sofa. There is room between the desk and chair, table, scooter to get by easily enough that I can pull the little stool out and fix hair, or apply make-up, etc. I believe we removed the arms of my scooter too. If we order room service, I just back the scooter up a little bit, move the table away from the chair, and DH can use the chair and table, and I can use the sofa and table, or just go out on balcony with our coffee, etc.

This is confusing I'm sure, but it gives you an idea of how I maneuver. I do think it will be difficult for you though. But, just ask the steward to remove some things and I think although it will be tight, just figure you're all not in the cabin that much or at one time. Have a fun cruise!!!

Thank you for the tips! I'm sure it will all work out. Lots of people rent them and have no problems. I just called to see how far in advance to book and he said at least a month, but I won't chance leaving it that late. We sail in April and I think we'll book it in December. Looking at the Carnival page on mobility issues is states in one place the doorway is 21" and in the next paragraph it says 22"! I called and they said basically the doorway is 22" and the scooter can't be any larger than 21" and the scooter site says they are 21" so that makes more sense. I wish they would clarify on the website though. Still no reply from them.

• 2 weeks later...

From Carnival Guest Access:

We received a reply from Guest Services on board the Pride to advise that they will accommodate your request regarding a night stand to be removed and the beds pushed together against the French doors.

We look forward to providing you a FUN and memorable cruise vacation. See you on board!

Guest Access Support

Carnival Cruise Line

So it IS possible to do this. I will try and remember to come back after the cruise and advise how the scooter fit with the night stand moved