Santorini Game plan: NCL Shore Excursion or Private Tour?

ashleyriley

Hello! Just looking for some advice from the cruise experts here. We are cruising on the Jade with the Adriatic itinerary. Think I have the other ports planned, however, I am still undecided on Santorini. Options are an NCL shore excursion, the Charming Oia itinerary. Pros for that are getting off the ship at the tender port, bypassing the cable car, and going to Oia by bus. Cons are you are with a large group and not much time in Oia. The private tour lets you customize your own tour and it would be just my husband and I. We are staying in the Haven so we would be one of the first at the cable car, but how long that takes is unknown. There are two other ships in port, looks to be a total of 7500 people on the island. Santorini is tough logistically with the crowds, tendering, and the lines for the cable car. Any thoughts or tips are very much appreciated!

Very Very Very easy to catch a tour after you tender in. Go to the right of the tenders and buy a seat on the boat that takes you to the other side of the island. This is a tour. They bus you back to the same side as the ship. You can either ride the cable car or a donkey down to the pier. You can also walk, but we enjoyed the cable car. This is the island you see in all the postcards. Enjoy.

I have been to Santorini twice. The first time I was solo and just did Oia on my own using local transportation. The second time I organized a private small group tour for my traveling companions and others from our roll call. We were able to see a lot of the island, including Oia, a visit to one of the black sand beaches and a stop at a winery which had some fabulous views over the caldera.

If it just yourself and your husband and Oia is what you want to see then the tours mentioned by cruisencrazy would be perfect. You boat over to Oia and bus back with plenty of time to visit Fira on your return before descending by cable car, donkey or walking.

If you are going to repost and ask on the ports of call boards, best to check out the ones for Greece rather than Italy. ;) Sorry Sauer-kraut just had to put that in there :)

Have a great time on your cruise ashleyriley that is a wonderful itinerary!

Rochelle

Just a note of caution if your doing tour on your own to check how many ships in port as there has been up to 10 (not all big ones) but still a lot of people. I say this because getting back we have seen long long line ups to get on the cable car in the scorching heat to get back to ship.

The alternative is the mule ride back which will be some what quicker

Just a note of caution if your doing tour on your own to check how many ships in port as there has been up to 10 (not all big ones) but still a lot of people. I say this because getting back we have seen long long line ups to get on the cable car in the scorching heat to get back to ship.

The alternative is the mule ride back which will be some what quicker

Very true.

But alsoWhen looking at other ships in port also be sure to check the times of their arrival and departure. The last time I was there, NCL did not arrive until early afternoon and so we had no trouble with line ups as those that arrived in the morning were all gone by the time we descended.

I much preferred the later arrival of NCL because we were able to enjoy the sunset, which was spectacular.

Rochelle

We will be in Santorini again in Octobre

we will do almost the same as the last time

take the speed boat to Oia - its fantastic and no need to book a shore excursion

than we will take the bus back to Fira

reserved a table in a restaurant with a fantatic view on the sunset, Caldera and the Jade to have a nice dinner

back to the tender boat with the cable car

cant wait to be there!!!

Melanie

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi to all! Thanks for the responses! Good point about other ships arrival times. From what I can see the two others and Jade arrive at the same same. That's why I was thinking it may be better to do the NCL shore excursion that allows you to bypass at least the cable car ride going up. I have heard that Oia is the most beautiful place, my concern is I would just want to stay and wander there, making the private just an expensive taxi ride. The private tour guide mentioned going up to the highest point in Santorini, a winery, Akori, Firostar ect. I guess if my biggest dilemma right now is choosing a shore excursion in Santorini then I am doing ok compared to others in the world. THANKS so much to all and others who still may share they're experience and tips.