Questions about Viking Ocean

ricki

I have clients interested in the World Cruise, who have some concerns. Thank you in advance for any help you can give with these questions:

1. Are "toppers" or "egg crates" available for the beds?

2. Is the couch in the cabin a pull out couch?

3. From reading the posts, I see that they do a fairly good job with vegetarian and gluten-free diets. Is anyone vegan? Did you have trouble finding vegan entrees?

4. I read that laundry detergent is provided in the self-service laundries. Is it automatically put into the machine, or could my clients bring their preferred laundry detergent?

I have posed these questions to Viking, but I find the good folks on Cruise Critic are very quick to respond.

I have clients interested in the World Cruise, who have some concerns. Thank you in advance for any help you can give with these questions:

1. Are "toppers" or "egg crates" available for the beds?

2. Is the couch in the cabin a pull out couch?

3. From reading the posts, I see that they do a fairly good job with vegetarian and gluten-free diets. Is anyone vegan? Did you have trouble finding vegan entrees?

4. I read that laundry detergent is provided in the self-service laundries. Is it automatically put into the machine, or could my clients bring their preferred laundry detergent?

I have posed these questions to Viking, but I find the good folks on Cruise Critic are very quick to respond.

The "couch" in our DV cabin was actually two chairs.

The laundry detergent is automatic and you have no choice....it is going in the wash with the water and you can't stop it. I had no issues at all with the detergent they used. We did not ask for egg crates....the beds were REALLY comfortable! I'm not vegan but prefer veggies over meat, etc. There were plenty of options to keep me full. I did get into a lot of gelato though....

The laundry detergent is automatic and you have no choice....it is going in the wash with the water and you can't stop it. I had no issues at all with the detergent they used. We did not ask for egg crates....the beds were REALLY comfortable! I'm not vegan but prefer veggies over meat, etc. There were plenty of options to keep me full. I did get into a lot of gelato though....

Not quite. You have to press the button on the wall for the detergent to flow. (Quite a few folks missed this early on. And washed with no detergent at all!)

If you want your own, don't press the button then just add your own.

I didn't see anyone pressing a button for detergent on our Med Ody cruise or a sign mentioning we needed to.........now I'll have to check when we take our West Indies in Feb............hmmmmm

Feb 15, 2017 Viking Star – Caribbean

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star – Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

Having sailed both I can tell you that the detergent was automatic on the Star but required a button push on the Sea. They may eventually decide on one or the other, I suppose.

Thanks to all of you, but I wonder about the Sun. Viking Reps say it is automatic, but since the existing ocean ships have different systems, I wonder if that is correct.

Ricki

• 3 months later...

We asked for egg crates to be put on the beds on Viking Star, since we found the beds among the most uncomfortable (hardest) of the nine different cruises lines we have been on. They did not carry egg crates onboard and instead gave us an extra duvet. It helps, but honestly we decided not to book another Viking cruise we had planned, only for this reason, since we just did not sleep very well.

I know the egg crates are unsanitary, but Viking must learn from the likes of Celebrity and Oceania, who provide comfortable beds without the toppers.

Too bad since Viking Star is otherwise the best ship we have sailed on so far and the food and service is up there with best as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dear LarsDK,

Thank you for your feedback. While we are delighted to hear you found Viking Star to be among the best, we are also sorry to learn that you found the beds to be uncomfortable, even with the addition of an extra duvet.

Your suggestion to provide egg crates onboard has been documented for future consideration. Should you wish to discuss further, however, we would be happy to hear from you directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

LarsDK, we appreciate the opportunity to respond and hope that you’ll reconsider joining us aboard in the future. It would be our pleasure to see you again.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We asked for egg crates to be put on the beds on Viking Star, since we found the beds among the most uncomfortable (hardest) of the nine different cruises lines we have been on. They did not carry egg crates onboard and instead gave us an extra duvet. It helps, but honestly we decided not to book another Viking cruise we had planned, only for this reason, since we just did not sleep very well.

I know the egg crates are unsanitary, but Viking must learn from the likes of Celebrity and Oceania, who provide comfortable beds without the toppers.

Too bad since Viking Star is otherwise the best ship we have sailed on so far and the food and service is up there with best as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums