Does MSC operate differently in Europe?

RMS Olympic

Having made a reservation for a cruise embarking in Barcelona I asked about ground and air service offerings. I learned MSC did not have an air program but provided the name for another company that provides air transportation services....Global Marine. Does MSC offer air programs in Europe? I also asked about a hotel for one night rather than chance a transatlantic flight arriving on embarkation day. I was told that MSC could provide hotel rates based on the star rating of various hotels. If I accepted a specific hotel rate MSC USA would contact the European head office, confirm approval of my choice

and only then tell me the hotel they selected base on rating. Further I could purchase a ground transfer to the hotel, but a transfer from the hotel to the pier would be through the hotel not the cruise line. Is this the same for Europeans booking MSC over seas? I am use to cruise lines handling all aspects of the trip...ground transfers, hotels and air transportation......even European/ non North American cruise lines. It seems to me the US operations does not work alone but funnels everything through the home office.....not a criticism, but definitely cumbersome as compared to other lines. Is this how it works overseas? One other thought.....without the cruise lines involvement Americans could make errors in scheduling their own flights. I looked at a direct return flight departing Barcelona at 12:15.......whoops, the ship only arrives Barcelona at 9 am......multiple embarkation ports on a week cruise requires closer review of arrival times.

Hi. MSC offers flights and transfers on certain cruises only. I don't know what the criteria are for this. I did not know MSC offered hotel accommodation. You can probably get one quite reasonable yourself through a booking engine. Barcelona is one of the easier cities to embark. A taxi from airport to port or city will run $35/40. The flight time of 12.15 would be tight for US flights according to many North American posters on here. Ken

I can't specifically comment, but generally, I find it's much cheaper to arrange your own flights / hotel than rely on the options offered by the cruise line.

You could get your travel agent to package any flights and a hotel into what he's offering you, to ensure you don't make any mistakes... though it's really not that difficult.

The downside with arranging your own flights is leaving a buffer, especially at the start, to ensure you don't miss embarkation. But who doesn't want to spend a couple of nights in Barcelona? Win-win?

There are a few advantages to purchasing an air/cruise package with MSC. One, I've found the additional cost of an MSC arranged flight is generally less than if I booked it myself and took the cruise-only option. Two, the air/cruise package includes ground transportation from the airport to the port and return. Three, if the flight is delayed, MSC will one way or another get you to the ship even if they have to delay sailing or worst case, transfer you to the next port on the itinerary for embarkation. On the MSC flights there will be many other passengers heading to the ship so you won't be alone.

There are a few advantages to purchasing an air/cruise package with MSC. One, I've found the additional cost of an MSC arranged flight is generally less than if I booked it myself and took the cruise-only option. Two, the air/cruise package includes ground transportation from the airport to the port and return. Three, if the flight is delayed, MSC will one way or another get you to the ship even if they have to delay sailing or worst case, transfer you to the next port on the itinerary for embarkation. On the MSC flights there will be many other passengers heading to the ship so you won't be alone.

If it was cheaper, then that might be a benefit. Cunard often offer incredible prices on a Westbound transatlantic with included return flights from New York to London. You'd never price that cheaper separately.

But most of the time it seems to be more expensive and less flexible. Transfers and taxis aren't expensive, and the ability to land a few days early and spend some time in the embarkation port is nice.

If it was cheaper, then that might be a benefit. Cunard often offer incredible prices on a Westbound transatlantic with included return flights from New York to London. You'd never price that cheaper separately.

But most of the time it seems to be more expensive and less flexible. Transfers and taxis aren't expensive, and the ability to land a few days early and spend some time in the embarkation port is nice.

We generally make up our own packages, book our own flights and hotels and go 'cruise only' with MSC. They add a standard £300 (I think) for flights which are all from London, which is a pain for us. We find it far better to get flights from our local airport and stay a night or two pre-cruise and sometimes post-cruise

Barcelona is a great city and if you've not been before two nights there would give you a great opportunity to see the city and all it has to offer. The hotels there range from incredibly cheap and basic to stunning and luxurious.

We've just booked Abu Dhabi/Dubai for January and the price difference between cruise only and flights + cruise was only £100 from Manchester U.K.

This is much cheaper than booking our own flights to Abu Dhabi. Currently £400 ish pounds each on the same flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I am reading these responses correctly, MSC offers cruise flight packages to their customers in the European markets. Here in the US they do not offer flights, only a phone number to call another company which appears to be a flight consolidator. I wonder if MSC will change this to be competitive with other cruise lines selling Med cruises to North American passengers. On a side note the prices over in Europe sound very reasonable. Right now the flight for me to meet the ship in Barcelona from Florida is $1800 USD for economy and $3300 for business class. Considering the cruise is costing me $1900, that makes the flight as pricey as the cruise itself. Ouch!